Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

Moving Messages

Guest Edam

Yep, get "anal" AVSIM Moderators/Admins. What difference does it make if an interesting post is made here that is not exactly on topic? Like LAdamson said, it's the first place that he visits, and so it is with most people, I would guess. And if that's the case, why would you want to have people "jump around" to find those interesting topics? Other than it being "your house," and wanting to set your own rules just to be restrictive or authoritative, why not give the people what they want? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing so it would appear.Absolute "power" corrupts absolutely.

>However, the way we run this guest house is along the rules >set by the owner, who basically likes everybody to visit his >private property and share in the fun... as long as you >don't trample the flowers. Francois,You

Guest Paul_W

I've read and contributed to the "parallel thread" on this topic currently going on in the Hangar Chat forum. Of course the irony is that the bifurcation of this discussion between two forums makes it much more of challenge to follow, and should provide some indication that the policy of moving general interest threads to where they are deemed to belong is probably less than pragmatic.My view is that anyone in a decision-making position faces two approaches--the philosophical and the pragmatic. Philosophically it might appear perfectly logical to insist that everything belongs in its rightful place; in practice, though, a lot of people will simply not read these redirected threads. I know I'm as unlikely to visit the Hangar Chat forum here as I am to check in on the "Outer Marker" (general interest) forum at Flightsim--and it has nothing to do with "laziness" as has been suggested; it has to do with personal interests and preferences, and time management.

Guest Scott Campbell

Paul,But the fact is that you did go into the Hangar Chat forum, you did read the messages, and you did contribute. Good for you.So, let's hypothesize.If people want to allow any message, and as Francois says, open one giant everything's allowed forum, then everyone should be able to post anything without consideration of forum topic.So then, why do we not have all the X-Plane and FUIII posts here as well, asking questions, making points, making comparisons to MSFS?Because those people are summarily thrown out and those posts are immediately deleted. The flame wars just simply wouldn't end. Not only that, the forum would be unreadable. One would have to hunt everywhere to find anything about one topic - like Microsoft Flight Simulator.What's the difference between those and posting about aviation in general, or bankruptcies, or whatever isn't MSFS related? There is none, except the general populace has decided that since this is the FS forum, that's all that should be here. Not X-Plane. Not FUIII. Not any other sim, even if all other topics appear to be acceptable. But they aren't. They are exactly the same. They are taking away from the ease of finding information about Microsoft Flight Simulator.One cannot differentiate between sims and other non-FS related topics. It's either one or all. That's why there are different forums.It would be akin to putting every program and file you own into one directory, named "Windows" - without subdirectories. Everything just dumped into that one giant directory. Why have multiple directories and multiple drives and multiple partitions? Dig around Windows to find your pictures or your browsers, or your accounting data, or your anything. Even the most primitive computers like the Apple &r;&l; had directories to separate out everything - then partitions when the first hard drives came out.Why is it any different to differentiate subjects in separate forums? You wouldn't put everything you own into one directory, and you wouldn't post here about how great X-Plane is.

Guest Toni Rauch

ScottIn principal, what you're saying is right but things are not that 'black and white'. Here's a simple example:As some may know, quite a few times I have posted threads here on the MSFS forum regarding PT and his antics, firstly to keep people informed about the situation and also to 'warn newbies' so that they might not suffer as many others have.The reasons for posting here are simply that here is where the majority of readers are (and of course, you want the threads read by as many people as possible), and as other threads have been started here, here is where the replies to those contributions are going to be posted (obviously).Recently however, threads/discussions regarding Tishma have been 'moved' to the Hangar Chat forum because, according to Francois, they're off-topic and therefore no longer belong here.But Tishma only 'produces' for MSFS and people wanting help or advice regarding their problems with him/his 'products' come to this forum, not Hangar Chat. So where are the lines drawn? In this example I would say that the MSFS forum is the right place for these matters to be aired, not just because of the volume of readers, but because the issues specifically relate to MSFS and it's users. The Moderators, however, seem to disagree.As a reader suggested before, maybe there should be a new specific forum for discussions about 'rogue traders' but here is still the first place people will look...Toni.

Guest BrianC

Francois,Perhaps the dissenting users are right. Therefore I propose, to help people find the topics they are interested in, that AVSIM rename the forums as follows:MS Flight Simulator General Discussion and Other Topics ForumMS Combat FlightSim and Other Topics DiscussionThe FLY General and Other Topics Discussion ForumThe Flight Unlimited Series and Other Topics The X-Plane and Other Topics Forumetc...

Guest gasebah

I just saw a post where someone asked if you could couple the autopilot to an NDB. Following the rules this should have been removed. If we apply those rules to anything we will all miss a lot of interesting stuff here.Alex

What about a forum to discuss forum managment :)Anniette xxxxxxx

Hey Francois!"I'd rather be simming ! ". In stead of having these kind of senseless and repeated discussions in here in the middle of the night."Well if thats true, then there'd be no reason for the forum anymore! :-)I'm personally gonna print up a T that says "I'd rather be in the AVSIM Fourms b1tching about anything under the sun than simming!" cause that seems to be the absolute truth half the time... I think the forums are much better than simming, by far, over the long haul. Sure, I love to sim, but over the past five years I've spent a hell of a lot more time browsing, reading and posting in the AVSIM forums than in any one sim!:-lolhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

> Sure, I love to sim, >but over the past five years I've spent a hell of a lot more >time browsing, reading and posting in the AVSIM forums than >in any one sim! >Same here! Most of my simming comes from testing someone else's complaint!! If it wasn't for these forums, I wouldn't need to sim. :)L.Adamson

Anniette........LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! :)Alex CN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.