Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Sonic Boom

I was flying the awesome FSD T38 the other day and it occurred to me that what was missing was a sonic boom. I was thinking that now that the FS2002 software developers kit is out that maybe some gauge programmer could program a gauge to creat this for the supersonic aircraft. It would add a little bit of fun to flying these jets!

Hmmm.. Not looking around, are you ? :-)It's available, the Boom and the Afterburner effect.In the library of flightsim.com, files tburner.zip and tburnup.zipRob

Guest SlimDady

anyone have a screen of the boom and burner

Guest DaveKDEN

I think he's talking about a sonic boom, not the engine "boom" caused when the afterburners light. Does bring up an interesting point. When you're inside an aircraft that's going supersonic, you can't hear the sonic boom as it's trailing behind the aircraft. The logical way to implement a sonic boom in FS would be in tower view, or if using the tower view replacement fly-by "Active Camera" module by Andy Newman and Serge Baye. Otherwise, the effect would be rather like having explosions in outer space movies (eg., Star Wars, etc), neat but not very realistic.Dave

It is relatively easy to create an XML gauge that would trigger a sonic boom when mach 1 reached.It is also possible to make that effect only visible (audible) in the tower and spot views.The problem is that the methods we have been using to attach these effects to aircraft is to use either the lights or smoke systems.Unfortunately, sounds that are attached to effects in this way will be heard each time the lights are turned on, or the smoke system is activivated. This is not too bad for the afterburner poof, but would be extremely annoying for an accurate sonic boom.The T-38 already uses the smoke system for vortice effects, so only the yet unused lights would be feasible.I don't think the capabilities of the effects SDK allow us to implement a sonic boom that doesn't fire at other times as well.If you have the T-38 with afterburner effects, go toggle the lights on and off a few times and you'll see what I mean. Imagine that was a huge window-rattling boom instead.I'd be thrilled if someone with more expertise were to find a way, but I have my doubts that it can be done.Robb

Guest DaveKDEN

The T-38 AB effect's been updated. It's now linked to the actual AB key stroke (default is shift+F4). Much better than linked to lighting (as the original effect was).Dave

The afterburner is still linked to the light system, just more automated. I worked with Jan Rosenberg on the new update. Look in the aircraft.cfg file and you'll see what I mean.

flightsim library??? Well, guess he doesn't want to share it with the rest of us. I can't get on that site and am sick of trying. I don't even bother with it anymore.

Does bring up an interesting point. When you're inside an aircraft that's going supersonic, you can't hear the sonic boom as it's trailing behind the aircraft.I don't know but think of this, if you were traveling faster than the speed of light would your wing tip strobes be flashing behind the aircraft?Ken

Guest DaveKDEN

I do know about a sonic boom being behind the aircraft. As to travelling faster than light, well, in theory, that's impossible. ;-)Dave

Guest DaveKDEN

I'll take a look indeed. Whatever you guys did, I LIKE IT!!!!!Dave

Guest Ron Freimuth

A 'sonic boom' should be audible outside the AC and delayed by the distance to it divided by the speed of sound at the relevent altitude(s). Ron

Guest DNelson

I just read a few days ago that now some of the physicists think that the speed of light has gradually been slowing down over time. Guess that explains why as I get older I have more and more trouble getting up for work in the morning! :-hah Dan