Sign in to follow this  

I believe in the rules !!

I wasn't going to post this complaint as it seems my feelings on this matter are clearly in the minority. However a recent discussion in this forum regarding rules has me puzzled to the point I feel I need to vent. :-hmmm I have been a participant at AVSIM forums for nearly 5 years, I think :-) . I consider myself a serious FS enthusiast or hobbiest and I am one of those that believe in the rules, as without them human nature would see these forums go nutz. :-zhelpSo I ask myself, why have the AVSIM staff not enforced the rules in the screenshots forum ? It used to be a wonderfull place where I could check out pics of new aircraft and sceneries from the library, share pics of our FS flying experiences, maybe even see a work in progress. However, in the last few months I feel like my house has been taken over by %&*@#!. Their sitting on my couch, eating my food and drinking my beer. I'd ask them to leave but there's just too many of them. I think their waiting to collect more STARS *** Browsing the forum is like an obstacle coarse, standing in the way of my enjoyment of this forum. I don't come here to look at pin-up girls, wish you happy birthday, see pictures of your dog or get inundated with email notifications because you've decide to turn the forum into a chat room. Is there some kind of competition or maybe a prize to whom can post the most ??Where have all the serious mature flight simmers gone ?SteveCYYZ

Guest SD Sim

Hi Steve,I feel your pain, really. I found the solution for me was to move elsewhere. The true enthusiasts exist, you just have to search for them. There's still plenty of us around that want to enjoy the hobby for what it is. Of course rules can be a tricky thing to enforce, and we all break them (this post I suspect, has a best home in, and will be moved to, the hangar chat forum).

Steve,Stop the Insanity! :-lol :-lolI completely agree with you on this subject. I really don't go (or post) to the SS forum anymore. The "I will give you a star for replying to this thread" crap is out of hand. I have seen pictures of girlfriends, new cars, houses, etc et nausea.The only screenshot forum I regularly view is over at the "other" site, and while certainly not perfect, it is an improvement over what is going on here.An interesting fact: The obnoxiously out of hand screenshot forum is the most active Avsim forum. God help us all.........Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gifI'll give this thread 2 more replies before it is moved ;-)

:-lol I am already beginning to get a bad name here on our beloved AVSIM forums.... so I'll leave this one up for just a little longer.As for the Screenshot Forum... I wouldn't know, haven't visited it in a long time mainly because my interests are elsewhere and a major lack of time prevents me from visiting every forum nowadays (like I used to do). But I understand and agree on principle... I already found the SShot forum too full of things I don't really care about.. so stopped wading through all the messages.On the bright side: we DO have a new moderator now and we are also embarking on a general tightening of our own rules. Why did we slacken? Simple. Sheer lack of Manpower !!Our stats are showing that the number of visitors, uploads and downloads and discussions are still growing beyond all expectations. And we (temporarily) have lost some key staff members to real life issues (yes, we do try to have a life! ;-) ), and that obviously puts a heavy burden upon monitoring everything that goes on.I would say: stay with us, we are working on it....... well knowing that we cannot please everybody anyway ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

> :-lol I am already beginning to get a bad name here on our >beloved AVSIM forums.... so I'll leave this one up for just >a little longer. Francois,Hogwash, my friend. You are doing an excellent job as a moderator. This subject, like all sensitive subjects, would be best served by having a good natured discussion by both parties. I plan to contribute a post on the matter very soon. And as is correct, the final decision will be made by Avsim. But that decision should only be made after hearing all sides opinions and thoughts on the matter.>I would say: stay with us, we are working on it....... well >knowing that we cannot please everybody anyway ;-) I don't think anyone will leave per se, Avsim is out home. While I do enjoy the SS forum at the "other" site more so than here, I only contribute at these forums. But I still can lurk elsewhere, from time to time. ;-)Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

Hi Steve,I agree 100% !!!Things around here are not as they used to be . :-(Fortunately, there are other places on the net where they keep the forums "clean". ;-)Staffan Ahlberg - FFG

Staffan

Guest Scott Campbell

Steve,I completely agree, and thus why I made a request to the staff about cleaning up the place a bit.I also remember the days when the forums were full of flight and flight simming lovers, with lots of good advice and info and links to great add-ons and the like.And if in cleaning up the forums and putting posts where they belong, some people leave, then perhaps they were in the wrong place to begin with.Looking forward to those days again..

I feel the same :( There was a "Backstreet Boys" thread here only a few hours ago :(

What can be said other than Things Change...I too have been a member of the AVSIM forums dating way back to the old, old forums system It seems once AVSIM decided to go the DCForum route, a lot of the old guys disappeared (ie Chris Shelly, Baard Inge Ostergaard, Hakon Soriede (sp?) etc).. a lot of the guys who really contributed a lot discussion wise to the forums.Once the new forum system was implemented a lot of the forum regulars boycotted, and dropped off. However, exponentially more members joined the forums - mostly a less experienced crowd... I can remember the vast amount of FAQs in the forums those first days..The way I look at it is, there are OTHER places to go if AVSIM isn't your piece of pie. Frankly, I think it's worth it to wade through the piles of o/t messages - you're bound to find a decent post somewhere.. :-)

Steve, I just wanted to let you know that this has not gone unnoticed and it is one reason we brought on Rob as a new moderator. This subject about the SS forum is also something under discussion to figure out the best way to handle it.Basically I feel it comes down to a simple maturity thing, not necessarily just an age thing, although that certainly applies in some cases. We have a fair share of immature adult aged users also. I know you probably understand that managing the forums isn't a black and white thing usually and we will do our best to get some of the conversation back to a more mature level.