Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Using Anywhere Map with fs2002-unreal!

These two shots may not be the best but...Using the Anywhere map moving map which works on an ipaq pda (or any pda) (and in the real airplane hooked to a gps). Using Peter Dowson's gpsout you can use it with fs2002-not only a great add to FS but valuable practice for the real world.I can't say enough praise for the AWM-there is nothing it can't do and I am coming from a Garmin 195! The power of a $10,000 multi function display for a fraction of the cost.You can learn about the AWM at:http://www.controlvision.com/http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest Delta_747

Man I wish I had something like that! That would add so much to the FS experience!

Now that is really cool !!!I would buy one just for that. :-)Thanks for the tip Geofa.Edit>Wow that's expensive !!I guess though that I could do something similar with say a small 15" LCD monitor and FS Navigator ??SteveCYYZ

Guest jaapverduijn

You've got me kinda confused here. On the one hand you state (in the heading) that the using of this gadget makes FS2002 unreal, on the other hand (in the message) you praise it. I'm actually looking for a good map system, but I'm not sure from your post if you consider this particular one good or not... Jaap Verduijn.

>You've got me kinda confused here. On the one hand you state >(in the heading) that the using of this gadget makes FS2002 >unreal, on the other hand (in the message) you praise it. >I'm actually looking for a good map system, but I'm not sure >from your post if you consider this particular one good or >not... >>Jaap Verduijn. Jaap,I believe Geof is using the slang meaning of "unreal":meaning "good", "desirable", or "cool".Cheers,Roger

Aidan Williams and myself have been experimenting with a few other products such as MS MapPoint, AND Route and others, that support GPS input.We are using 2 monitors (and 2 graph cards, 1 high end and a low-end) and that works equally well, although these products show road maps, not flight maps. It does save you from buying the iPaq (which is a wonderful tool, by the way !).Another option with aeronautical charts is to run the FlightMax software and buy some (relatively cheap, outdated) aeronautical charts for it.This will not work in real-world flying of course, since there is no power outlet in your aircraft for that second monitor ! :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest nitram

I have just bought the Brand New TomTom Navigator UK maps software for my Compaq PDA. It is brilliant for road navigation and only cost

Here are the steps I took that work-it sounds complicated but is quite easy:(1) Go to http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html (2) Download these two Zip files to a folder and extract them:FSUIPC 2.79 (Contains a .dll file, instruction files, and some other FS2002 add-ins) GPSout 2.41 (Contains an .ini file, and a .dll file)(3) Copy or Move FSUIPC.dll, GPSout.dll, and GPSout.ini to the FS2002 MODULES folder.This now may be "Anywhere Map specific" (you may have to read the gpsout instructions and make it specific to your unit) but.....(4) Double click the GPSout.ini file (the one in the MODULES folder, it should open with Notepad), and change the sentences that are not preceded by a semicolon as follows:Sentences=RMC,GGA,GSAInterval=500Port=COM1Speed=4800(5) Save the changed file.(6) In AWM GPS Settings (or your programs settings-TomTom), choose 4800, COM1, and GPS35/NMEA(7) On my ipaq 3950 there are both serial and usb connectors on the cradle-plugging both in at the same time -then opening Microsoft active synce and selecting "don't use comm port" made everything work great.If you don't have this set up then:Go went to Comp USA or somewhere like that and buy a serial cradle ($30)(I think again-now they sell units that have both). (This is identical to the USB cradle that came with your iPAQ, except for the plug). There are probably cheaper ways to get this cable, but the cradle is nice, because you can place it wherever you like on your desk. Make sure

Guest jaapverduijn

Ah, I see now, Roger. Thanks. Might be a worthwhile thing to consider buying then.Jaap Verduijn.

Guest jaapverduijn

Thanks Geof! I got it figured out now (grin)!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest BrianC

To further clarify for those who don't speak English natively: "unreal" is not the same as "unrealistic".Where Americans typically say "unreal", Englishmen would say "extraordinary".

Guest jaapverduijn

That would even be better! Right now I've got an almost brand new 19 inch, a middle aged 15 inch and an ancient 14 inch monitor sitting on a shelf doing nothing. I'd really like to put at least one of them to work!

Well get an old graphics card and put it in your PC.... or a new 'cheap' one. I use an old S3 Virge card.... gives me 1072 pixels max, but more than enough to display MS MapPoint or other maps, or FSNavigator4, or your chat window, or AVSIM's pages in the browser, or any other application on the second monitor.Once you're used to that setup, you will not understand how you ever could have lived without it ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog