Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

Get the most out of ur 128MB vid card

Guest cornclose

This is what I have always being saying, but some certain individuals around these forums are devoutly against turning off AGP texturing. I don't like AGP texturing, never have, its a dog compared to local video memory, these are the plain facts. If you can fit all required textures into local video memory and not use AGP texturing, then, everything else being equal, performance will be generally better.Avoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest gasebah

Well, I totally agree, but it is not the cure for everything. In 3DMark 2001 I loose approx. 20 fps with it in the first test. Then again 120 instead of 140 fps is not the end of the world :-). In FS2002 it sure gave me an enormous boost.Alex

Guest cornclose

True, it depends on the application, but as this is a flight sim 2002 forum, it certainly helps nearly all those willing to give it a try rather than just dissmissing it as ridiculous, as some of our 'experts' on this forum have in the past.Bottom line, try it folks, and if you don't like what you see, reverse the process. Come on now, it only takes a minute!!Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

I tried turning this feature off using DXDIAG. On my meager system [PIII 450, Win98, Ti500, 256 MB RAM] it appeared to make no difference in either frame rates or smoothness. I'm wondering if I missed something else that I could also have done, or if my system is simply too meager to be helped regardless.With the BIOS that I have I cannot change AGP aperature sze or any other feature relating.Maybe its time for a 21st century computer...Rick

Hi Alex,I've seen this advice before in the days when I had a modest Matrox G400 32Mb card and changing the AGP aperture value did nothing for performance.However, with my Creative GeForce4 Ti4600 the situation is transformed and the stutters seem to have disappeared after changing the value in the BIOS to 16Mb. :DThank you very much for this really useful tip. I shall pass it on to those of my friends who have this card. I'd award you some brownie points but the morons seem to have spoilt it for everyone and the feature has been withdrawn. :-fumeCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest gasebah

Thx fr the nice words Ray. Much better than the brownies anyway.Alex

Guest Kurt

John,>I've also done some study of the texture load while 2k2 is running, and with a normal setup (untweaked FS2002.cfg), the scenery takes around 30-40 megs of texture slots. Add to that the texture load taken by AI, Autogen, etc, and it comes out to "around" 64 megs....How do you go about determining the texture load ?Kurt M

I have a PIII 450MHz CPU, GeForce2 64 (MX200), and 256Mb of RAM. I turned down the AGP aperture to 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64Mb, but the fastest frames were at 128Mb and 256Mb aperture size! :( The lower settings gave me frame rates of ~2.0 in really dense scenery, whilst the aperture setting of 256Mb gave me ~6 :) Thanks for the advice, even though it was the other way around :-lol

Guest gasebah

Hmm... Frm all the posts you can clearly see that it is mostly up to date machines that benefit the most of the low AGP settings.Especially vid card with 1. lots of RAM and 2. very fast RAM.Will this thread ever end :-)?Alex

For me :Low apeture= low Fps and some stutters.High apeture= High Fps , no stutters.Go Figure...........................P4 2.2Asus P4S533 M/BSamsung Pc2700 512 DDRXtasy Ti4600 128DDRXp Home (Clean Install)Looks like it all depends on your machine?:-wave Ed

For me with PIII 500 and Matrox G400 - no real change unless I drop to really low values (like 8 MB) and then my performance just tanks.Polsko_Amerykanski_PilotMichael J.

P4 2.2, 512 2100 DDR, TI4600, all scuzzy sys. Turned off AGP in DXDIAG Slight improvement in frame rates. Worked for me :)Log

I turned off AGP, started FS, saw no improvement, then CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH went my system................ahh they don't make 'em like this anymore.. Thank God! :-lol

Guest ScottPilot

Worked for me!Changed mine from 64MB to 16MB and turned off the AGP Texturing using DXDiagnose in Win XP. I also set the sound accel. in DXDiagnose to BASIC.Made my frames jumped up to about 8-10 fps more and helped smooth out the side views!After flying FS2K2, I set ALL my settings in DXDiagnose back to their normal settings for my other games.PIII 1GHZ512MB SDRAMNvidia GF4 MX 440 64MB Card with Dual 17" monitorsWindows XP ProScott :-)