Sign in to follow this  

XP Home or Pro?

"Hello",Will I gain more eye candy by the following upgrades......(eg add more AI aircraft, sliders more to the right, etc).From XP Home to Pro.From Jetway GF4 Ti4400 to Gainward GF4 Ti4600.Current specs..Athlon XP2100+1 Gig 2700 ddr mem.XP Home (ntfs).Jetway GF4 Ti4400.60 Gig 7,200rpm hdd.PC is used for FltSim, internet, MS Office, video editing (no network).It`s flying great at the moment with all the add-ons from Avsim & all the fantastic tips from this forum, which I`ve learned so much from, BUT, as you know, we all strive for that little bit extra performance which adds to the realism.Thanks,Robps I was thinking of buying these two upgrades today, but will wait for some advice.

Home to Pro will give you extra Windows features, but certainly NO extra eye candy within any of your games/simulation !You also have a pretty good card (gosh, I envy your rig anyway !! ;-) ) and I don't think that you will see much difference. The 1 Gig DDR does more for you than that contemplated card change.As far as I understand from my techies (I have a lot working for me, some of them even simmers ;-) ) the Windows XP Pro should be taken always in stead of Home. It's more solid, has interesting features for web-centric work and compares a bit like FS2002 Standard vs. Pro.But in all honesty, if everything works okay now, and looking at your current config, I would not spend ANY money on it and save it for some great add-ons, a bigger (or second !!!!) monitor, or your next machine.Especially working and playing with monitors will enhance your life considerable ;-) :-jumpyJust my 2 Eurocents. :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest UweR

Hi, cool machine :-)The change from XP home to XP pro won

Guest gasebah

>The 1 Gig DDR does more for you than that contemplated card change.I doubt that. I have been thorough it and went back to 512MB. When running 1Gig with 4xinterleave and agressive memory timings it gets hot like hell. The system will become totally unstable. The only cure is to go slow on memory timings or even disable 4xinterleave. But if you do this the decrease in memory speed will totally eat up the advantage of more memory available.AlexAthlon XP 2100+MSI K7T 266 Pro2-RuMSI GF4Ti4600512MB Apacer DDR Ram (all memory timings for full speed, stable)

I have both XP Pro and XP Home on several of my home computers. The Home version provide all the necessary HOME operating system you need. I find the Pro version irritating, when I have to switch to my Administrator account to upgrade, install, etc. If I had it to do over again, I would have saved the extra bucks, bought just the Home version, and splurged on something else with the price difference.That said, if you are administrating a Home LAN, and want to control everything your wife and kiddies do, then by all means, get Pro.:-lol

Thanks all for the very useful advice, especially Francois. I have a 17" monitor, so an upgrade to 19" might be a good choice (17" as 2nd monitor).I have to disagree with Alex though (sorry Alex, but thanks for helping), the extra mem stick to 1gig did make a difference, the whole system & FS is better & is rock stable, no lockups at all.Thanks again everybody.Rob (slightly wiser again).