Sign in to follow this  

Removing unwanted scenery from fs2002?

Hello,the partition on which I have Fs2002 installed has become full and I was wondering if there is a utility which I can use to remove those areas of scenery that I do not fly in to free up disk space.For example, I do most of my flying in virtual europe and USA so could I would like to be able to remove all other areas ( e.e Asia. Japan etc) if this is possible.I know that in fs2000 there was a utility called scenery Mover which allowed you to remove unwanted scenery areas from your hard drive.Is there something similiar for fs2002.Incidentally I am not talking about removing custom scenery, I am talking about the scenery areas that come with fs2002.Thanks for any info on this,Roger

Guest Barney1

You should be able to remove the unwanted scenery areas via Windows Explorer. First, disable (turn off) those areas from within the Scenery Library while in the simulator. This is necessary to make the scenery.cfg file conform to what you are about to do next. Exit the sim. Delete the sub-folders that affect those unwanted areas from the SCENEDB / Easthem and or Westhem Folders based on the following points: Note: the scenery areas are divided between East and West Hemispheres; for instance, Japan sub-folder falls under the parent Easthem Folder. Note also, that there is extensive scenery contained within sub-folders under the "Cities" Folder with entries like "tokyo".Each of these Folders ( Easthem; Westhem ) contains sub-folders whose names pretty much describe the area they control. It is these sub-folders which would be removed.Having said all that, I would perhaps re-name the target folders temporarily, this effectively "removes" them, to see how the sim behaves before physical deletion.

Oh boy, Barney! Watch your sixes! What you say is true but the poster better be careful! Microsoft has placed different parts of the scenery all over the place within fs2002scenedb and it could get messy as your last statement indicates.One question to the original poster, "What other stuff do you have residing in this disk partition? Can you move the other stuff to a different partition? If not, do you have a bigger partition elsewhere on your harddrive that you could put fs2002. If so, copy the entire fs2002 to that partition, rename this fs2002 folder to fs2002old. Uninstall the original fs2002 from the small partition, delete any remaining fs2002 folders from that partition manually. Reinstall fs2002 to the new partition, start fs2002 to see if the installation was satisfactory. If so, delete the new fs2002 folder and rename fs2002old to fs2002. You should now have your old copy on a larger partition, ready to fly.You might also scan and defrag you harddrive to recover wasted space.

Hello,thanks to you both for your replies.The problem is that all the partitions on my hard drive are the same size so moving fs2002 to another partiton would not solve the problem.I wonder whether the scenery Mover utility for fs2000 would work with fs2002?If all else fails I guess I could be looking at another Hard disk!Thanks for your assisatnce though.RegardsRoger

Hello,thanks to you both for your replies.The problem is that all the partitions on my hard drive are the same size so moving fs2002 to another partiton would not solve the problem.I wonder whether the scenery Mover utility for fs2000 would work with fs2002?If all else fails I guess I could be looking at another Hard disk!Thanks for your assisatnce though.RegardsRoger

If it was me... I think I would take more of an "enterprise" look atwhats on your hard drive.A number of areas come to mind as to things you might remove.1. Fonts. Do you really use all the ones on your PC? Blow them away and thats good saved space.2. Do a search for unnecessary files like *.tmp, *.bak, *.txt, *.chk, etc. usually theres at least some garbage.4. Doc files...do you REALLY need whatever files you've saved, and could they be better kept on removable media (floppies, zip disks, CDR's etc.)5. Look at all your games. Do you REALLY play all of them? I had over 3 gigs tied up with MS Train Simulator and after hard study, decided I didnt play it enough to warrant that real estate.6. Look at your MP3 collection if you have one...again, do you listen to them all, or are some better put on recordable media or just blown away. That theme from Gilligans Island is a laugh, but do ya need it?5. As for FS2002... Have a hard look at what airplanes you have on the disk. I bet there are alot. I bet I have 250 planes. I probably actually fly 10 of them occasionally, and 5 very regularly.Go look at your logbook.log file and it will give you the tale of the tape on what you're "really" flying. I bet anything older than 3 months can get blown away. You can always DL again later.6. After the planes are historical, get a gauge cleaner and remove those unwanted guages. 7. Windows always has some bloat. You can...if you are careful..remove portions of it you dont use. Some of the accessability options come to mind.8. Addon on Scenery within FS2002. Do you have 3rd party scenery with things like static airplanes? These can be removed if you're using the projectai planes. The statics just take up parking stands.These are just some tips. However, at the end of the day, if you really want to remove parts of the FS world, I myself would do a fresh install. Cleaner and will force alot of the other options above in any case.Just my 2 cents. The other option is to spend a few dollars and get a second hard drive... :-) Im thinking of getting a dedicated second drive JUST for MSFS. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Hi Roger,Move some software from your FS2002 partition to another one.Move also the place of your pagefile.sys or win386.swp fromMy Computer / Properties / Performances tab / Virtual Memory (Win98).The better is to have a partition for FS2002 only.Also you may move your sceneries manually.Don't forget to change scenery.cfg to point to the new path.Add a new hard disk ?Longbow