Sign in to follow this  

Moving Threads Is A Family Affair. (very long) OT

Ladies n' Gents,I think some clarity might be in order on the subject of moving threads. For those of you that have sat through some of my long winded discourses before ( Elrond, you around? :-) ), here is another one for you all to brood over.To understand one's dissatisfaction with having their thread moved, one must first understand the segregated environment of these forums. Each forum is in effect, it's own micro-community. A "Family", if you will. Examples being the MS family, the FLY! family, and the dysfunctional Screen Shot family. While some of us, myself included, have used multiple sims during the same time period, most of the users here are somewhat territorial as to their platform of choice.This family environment leads us to concentrate the vast majority of our threads in one or another specific conference. Also, most folks tend not to stray to far from their families conference when reading posts. Due to this phenomenon, most people will post off topic threads in their respective families home (conference), because they are looking for either a response from their trusted family, or perhaps to have a question answered by their family. They know that their family doesn't live in the "Hanger" house, they live in the "xyz" house. Imagine 2 cabins, next to each other in the woods. One cabin is the MS cabin, the other the Hangar cabin. You want to go share a cold beer with your friends and talk shop in the MS cabin. Unfortunately, at the entrance of the MS cabin stands the bouncer ( Francois :-lol ). He refuses you entrance, and you are banished to the Hanger cabin. The Hanger cabin is cold, the beer is warm, and nobody visits. No disrespect meant Francois, you are an excellent moderator.It is also very hard to distinguish what is and isn't relative to the conference it is posted in. Take for example the wonderful series of threads by Todd Klaus in the FLY! conference. Todd wrote an amazing 20 or 30 threads outlining his quest to become a private pilot. We all got to follow him as he went along, lesson by lesson. This certainly was one of the best series of threads I have ever read in a forum to date. Todd was/is a very respected member/contributor to the FLY! family, and his threads were completely appropriate for the FLY! forum. Yet by these standards we are discussing, they would not have been allowed there, as they did not specifically deal with the FLY! simulator.While having a "General" conference is important, I think that it must be a voluntary place. I think that trying to artificially bounce traffic there will only cause dissention amongst the ranks.I would like to think that any thread regarding "aviation", or a relative subject, would be best left to the author to decide where to post it. I agree with a former poster that stated that as long as the general Avsim guidelines of conduct are followed, it should be left to the author to place his thread.And I must add, to those who would whip out the old "this is our house, we do what we want, if you don't like it.. then leave". While your statement is in fact true, you better watch what you ask for. Or you might end up with a cold, dark, cabin with warm beer, that nobody visits. Community standards are best discussed and decided upon by the community. While organized standards are appropriate, this might border on nit-picking. After all, the universal "OT" mark for a post never caused problems before, here or elsewhere.Finally, I do support the moving of posts that have no conceivable link to aviation ( and we aren't playing X number of degrees to Kevin Bacon here :-lol) Ie: "It's my birthday", and "see how hot my girl is", or "my new car", and my favorite: "what partially clad annime girl adorns your desktop" -read screenshot forum :-erksCheers,"rog182" in the old forums, Avsim member since August of 2000 Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

...but I think you are right, at least for 95 % ;-)I only hope Scott turns up and reads it.... I am getting a little fed up with 'carrying out orders' that everybody seems to agree upon are to be ignored. Between a rock and a hard place, I believe, is the English expression for that? :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Thanks.................. because I also believe Roger is entirely correct! Todd's flying adventures in the FLY forum were the perfect example.L.Adamson

Nicely put Roger. You have elegantly articulated what frustrates us all about moving threads. Now lets drop this topic and do what we love to do.Alex CN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest Scott Campbell

Roger,I actually have several good posts about this in the Hangar Chat forum in response to this exact subject. ;-)I've already done the one big happy party thing. :-lolAs for the SS forum, wow, I haven't been there in a long time and it looks like it's a good thing. On the other hand, I have this really nice pic of my kitty in a carboard box I'd like to share...

It's nice to know I'm not alone. :-)You guys really expressed the way I feel. We do tend to pick certain forums or cabins(hehe) as home. My cabin has this party goin on and it's gotten real crazy, can I come over to yours. :-lolI noticed there has been this HUGE increase in new young flightsimmers since the release of FS2002. I just hope that the terrible tragedy in New York didn't have anything to do with it. Flightsimming isn't a game to me it's a real passion. I have always looked to the skies as long as I can remember. When just a kid I would walk to the local airport and dream of flying. Unfortunately I was the kid with the coke bottle glasses. :-( Well you can guess the rest of the story, dreams shattered and my life is a case for Dr Phil. In the 5 years of flight simming I have not met a single person, young or old who shared this interest. I get these strange looks from all when I talk about it and once over heard some disparaging remarks about flightsimmers when at Aviation World. I still can't believe that one. :-hmmmSo I guess we are a rare breed. Believe me I do think the more new, young FSimer's the better. This is good for all of us. Many will be long time positive contributors to our flightsim communities. But with all new members of a family, there must be discipline. We need to show people what is right and wrong. The moving posts situation has been stated perfectly above and I also agree that there are some serious liberties being taken lately particularly in the SSF that need to be addressed immediately. I have had a few posts over the years deleted and my response was ooops, I guess I was out of line. :-)CheersSteveCYYZ

May I say something? :-hahI think that making the SS forum Simulator Shots Only! will not be too good. I mean once in a while we need to take a break from all the plane shots. I always enjoyed seeing something different and I always enjoyed posting something different like GTA3. I think that if you have planes in there the whole time it will start to get a little boring. A little something else reminds us that there are other games/activities then Flight Sims. Off-course you need some rules like no voilent shots like 'hitting peds in GTA3' or 'Look at all the gore in Soldier of Fortune'. Same goes for the MSFS forum. We all want to share things with the 'family' not with the few strangers in the Hangar' and sometimes something else then FS gives us a break. Of-course we could go to the Hangar when we need a break but the family is not there.For the SS forum I would love to keep seeing something different. My suggestion to avoid long re-occuring threads you could do this.Make a thread in the SS forum and lock it at the top. In it everyone that wants to replies and in the subject line puts his/her username and in the reply puts a picture of themsevles, his/her car, his/her house from the air and his/her desktop. Keep that thread locked at the top forever so that we don't get the thread started over and over and make a rule that no more pics of house/car/desktop appear, only in the thread at the top. Then allow us to post something different like other games under AVSIM rules off-course. A lot of the time someone finds a picture (myself included) that is eiher funny or amazing and they want to share it with the SS forum family even if it's not FS related. If you stop that then it will get very boring and eventualy it will become less exciting to visit the SS forum.Well, that's just my opinion. Whatever you guys decide, i'll just have to accept.Take careMike

Mike,Hi there! I'm not sure if you remember, but you and I had a good chat (in the FLY! forums) about our respective medical issues that were preventing us from attaining real world aviation goals a while back. How did that turn out for you ? I can't do searches on these forums right now because of ISP problems (my connection gets bounced on long searches), but I hope that everything worked out for the good.On the subject at hand: I respect your opinion concerning the screen shots forum, but I don't think that I will ever completely agree that posts that aren't in some way, shape, or form, associated with aviation have any place (here or there). That's just my opinion though. Now, I would agree that a "real world" pic of something involving aviation would be appropriate as an "OT" post. While that would not be directly related to simming, it could be construed as being of interest to those who would haunt a "flight sim" site.Once again, just my opinion. And thanks for sharing yours, cause it's not easy to go against the grain around here. I hope everything worked out for you concerning the med issue. Roger http://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

Guest Paul_W

I just made my latest reply on this subject in the existing "Moving Threads" thread, and then I ambled over here to see what was being said in "the extension."Well it's refreshing to find kindred sentiments here; I think I have to agree just about fully with what you've said, and said well. Now if they could just move those flight training threads over here where they "obviously" belong....

Hi RogerI remember talking to a Roger a while back... :-)Actualy about a week ago I posted an update in the FLY forum. It looks like the tumor is gone and I am starting to get back to normal...something I thought will never happen! :-shyI still have to keep taking medicatin though...so no medical for me!That's probably why I now spend more time at AVSIM. :-hahAbout the SS forum... we all have out opinions and we share them in a civilized amnner..so far! :-) Maybe we need an OT SS forum for pics of other games..i know that you and/or the AVSIM 'bouncers' :-hah will say 'if you want ss of other games go to a forum for that certain game' but it would not be the same...it's the family...we want to show pictures to the family... :-lol I think I need to get out more...Take careMike

Francois,Yeah, Elrond clued us in on your "fishing" habits. Tisk, Tisk... :-lolOh yeah, if you would like to nuke this thread, you have my blessing. This issue seems to be somewhat fragmented between parallel threads & forums, and I think those of us that have a dissenting view have satisfied our urge to comment.Take care, Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

Roger, I do feel you've made some good points and I respect that fact that you did it without trying to trample on those of us trying to keep the forums running. That will certainly make sure your points get read by me at least. :-)While you do bring up the side about "family" in choosing where one posts, there is another side of this and that is those users that simply want to post everything in the busiest forum because they find getting reactions out of people entertaining. These are the posts I'm most concerned with myself as they most of the time do nothing but cause more work for those of us monitoring the forums and it typically angers the users that would like to read stuff that is on-topic and not the latest soap opera.Again, like I mentioned in the other post. These issues will be discussed and I'll make a more general reply later. So to anyone else that responds, please keep this discussion civil and it will remain open.