Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Opinions Are Like Noses...We All Have One

Guest flightpro08

"semd74",First of all, if you're going to quesiton someone's work, be man enough and leave your name, and don't hide behind some fake screename. Second, how in the world can you quesiton Bear's work? Anybody that does is a complete idiot that doesn't know anything about the freeware Flightsim world. Bear works his butt off every month trying to find files that he can help promote to the general public. Does he get paid to do this? No way. He does it because he wants to make our community better, and to show his love for avaiation. For all I'm concerned, you're a complete jerk (would call you a whole lot worse, but this is a public forum) and should suriously consider appoligizing to Bear. If this sounds like I'm mad it's because I am. It really ticks me off that people can be so negative towards people who are just trying to make our hobby better, and who are doing it just because they love avaiation. Man I wish I could subtract like 10 points from your rating.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 10480

I think the subject of Bears reviews is a no brainer !!Their not really reviews. :-)If you look closer you will see it says " Bear's Top Library Picks "The fact that there might be files that you or I disagree with is not news. Although I will always value Bear's opinion.SteveCYYZ

>I think the subject of Bears reviews is a no brainer !! >>Their not really reviews. :-) >>If you look closer you will see it says " Bear's Top Library >Picks " Thanks Steve for reminding people of that. Everyone needs to remember that Bear's top library picks were never meant to be formal reviews. He decided that since he did download many of the user uploads to our library, he would give some of his time to give a little taster of some of his favorites. We obviously cannot formally review everything that gets uploaded, and Bear's top picks helps to give a little attention to some of those uploads that aren't covered.

Oops, sorry, reading these forums way too late I guess. :-)

Guest Coneman

I have wanted to say this for a while and now seems like the perfect time. Bear's picks are something I look forward to every month. He always finds something I've overlooked and it usually turns out to be a gem. That's not to say I haven't had some disagreements with his selections, we all have our likes and dislikes. But his picks are something I value a lot here. Thanks Bear!ToddKCOE

Semd74 or whoever you are, is obviously looking for attention or free handouts! Bear has pointed me in the direction of some fantastic "FREEWARE" and I have no complaints nor should you semd. It's not that hard to delete teh damn plane from your hard drive is it?I just rated you with negative feedback, hope others will do the same ;-)

I like seeing Bears articles because he always has at least 1 that I missed in my scans. He also likes GA planes and bush flying and I have gotten many of the "picks" he has suggested and been quite happy with them. Opinions are fine to have. We all have them. The differences between us is how we express them. This guy is NO diplomat.Don

Well......... This has been interesting. Amazing how much I can miss in here when I'm at work and away from my computer for 24 hours. HMMMMMM, where to start. The "flies like a kite" comment is a good place. I'm not sure what the person who posted this means. The flight dynamics for this plane were done by Mike Verlin (Of the HJG) with tweaks to fit FS 2002 by me. The real Commander 114's (and 115's) are very stable aircraft and basicaly want to go straight and level with heavy controls. Many flight problems reported are usualy the result of improper setup of thr users computer. Not that I'm saying this is the case here but it has been my experience. When I make flight dynamics I follow a different theory than most. I set my realisim settings on the "Easy" setting. Why?? Because if you can make the plane fly extrmely well on the maximum realisim settings, when someone has their settings set lower, the plane is uncontrollable because at those settings it is overly stable (In my experience).That said, I'm not a real pilot but have been behind the controls in a few small planes before and have found them much easier to fly than some sims because of the inherent stability built into them by Cessna, Piper etc. I try to emulate the "Feel" of an aircraft that I design. while the "feel" may not be as accurate as it could, it's as close as I can get. I try to get the gross numbers close to reality (Stall speed, top speed and the like) they might not be 100% on the money but it's good enough for me and I'm sure 99% of the people who dowload my stuff. Most of the things that I have to address in comment's I get from people who download my work are usualy in regards to things that are related to their personal system setup (Windows XP seems to be the common denominator in this regard).I do hope in the future that more people will contact me personaly by E-mail when they have a problem. Thats why my e-mail address is in every Readme for every project I release. I like the positive feedback as much as the next guy and I also appreciate constructive criticizim because it helps me improve my next project.Someone also said they didn't like the visual model all that much... well actualy that model was actualy only the 3rd or 4th plane I ever released almost 2 years ago. It is a bit dated (compared to the FSD Commander, which by the way sits on my hard drive too) and I still design with FSDS which at the moment doesn't have all the bells and whistles of GMax but I can't even make a box in GMax.I guess at this point it's time for me to step down off the soapbox and relinquish the floor. Thanks for your patience while I ranted away here. :-)Brian Gladden :-outta

>do i not have a right to agree or disagree? Hi, semd74. Of course you have the right to agree or disagree, but you have no right doing it in the rude way that you have done it, especially when you are addressing it to a guy here who is as highly regarded as there can be in our community. First, you said "..he ranted and raved about how excellent the aircraft was..", and secondly you said "..bear, you need to do a better job of reviewing..". Both these statements are way off courteous and positive criticism of the picks that Bear does us the favor of assembling. And yes, to me it very well seems to be a favor that he is doing for us simmers, and I among many here can't wait for the time of month for it to appear.

these are my last words on this thread...i realize that everytime someone makes a post here they run the risk of being misunderstood. yes, we designers spend a lot of hours doing what we do for the simple enjoyment of flightsimming. i do it to try and give something back to the community that has given much to me.i sincerely apologize to steve cartwright for my off-color remarks as they were thoughtless and irrespective of his feelings and the amount of time he spends doing what he does. i also apologize to anyone else i may have offended. yes, opinions are like noses, we all have one but sometimes some opinions are wrong. i was wrong...i'm sorry

While I was disappointed in the tone of your initial message, I'm going to give you props for this one.It's very easy to hit the POST button and for something to hit the forum which you may later regret having your name emblazoned across. It's also very easy to walk away from a mistake like the one you made and not fess up to it, particularly in this medium.Kudos to you for being adult enough to take the lumps and come back with an apology.