Sign in to follow this  
golfbravo

Grumman Mallard question/comment...

I have test-flown the marvelous Mallard and I'm quite impressed with it's panel, it's flying characteristics, water effects, and above all, visual model. I now look forward to the G73T with greater anticipation! However, I had one small gripe about its handling. I use a keyboard to play the game, and I noticed that it does not turn on the ground unless one uses differential brakes (which is fine; I can handle that). But, when in the water, the aircraft barely turns at all, no matter how much rudder or aileron I use. I downloaded the Grumman Albatross from simviation.com, and it turns pretty easily in the water. Will there be an FDE update to correct this? Or is there any advice someone can perhaps share with keyboard users? Any info would be appreciated. (to the designers) Congrats on an overall-fabulous design!George

Hi George,Thanks for the comments - as agreed the cheque will be in the post in the next couple of days !!!!!The air & water handling have been designed with the original aircraft in mind, on the ground this means that there is no nosewheel steering so differential braking is the only way to turn below approximately 50 knots - after that point the rudder starts to come into play.On water obviously differential braking is not an option :-( so the only way to "turn" the aircraft at low speed is to use asymetrical thrust, this will let you turn pretty well at speeds as low as 10-20 knots - again the rudder starts to come into play at about 50 knots, the original aircraft has no "water rudder".If you have the throttle quadrant up then you can use the mouse to alter the throttle settings to provide differential thrust alternatively the option would be to select either engine by pressing "E 1" or "E 2" and then alter it using the normal keyboard commands - you just need to remember to hit "E 1 2" when you want to use both engines again. Bear in mind that the "water" in FS2002 has too much friction so using one engine you will have to by fairly hard on the throttle.Unfortunately, Grumman didn't do us many favours with this method since the Engines are kept close to the fuselage of the aircraft to help single engine handling (notice how close the prop arc is to the fuselage).Hope that helps - if you still have problems then get back in touch..Regards,

Guest CX001

I have to say, although I haven't flown the aircraft yet, it looks to be a very nice aircraft. With Mike Stone's Goose, George Pepper's Albatross, your Mallard, and the FS2000 Duck, all that is needed for the Grumamn amphibian/flying boat family is the Widgeon!

Thank you so much for the advice! I figured that you guys designed the FDE as accurately as possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I will definitely give your suggestion a try later on tonight or early tomorrow (I've got so much packing to do it's ridiculous!). I will keep you posted. Cheers!George