Sign in to follow this  
Guest rlefebvr

Lack of controllers and flying

Guest rlefebvr

New to Vatsim.I have noticed a lack of controllers at time.What happens when there is no controller available say on take off.Do you just take off without communications or does vatsim have computer generated controllers.I can't figure it out.RonThanks for all info

Hi Ron,First of all, stick with it! I have only been flying online for a couple of weeks, but I absolutely love it! It is totally different to just zipping around on your own. If there are no controllers in your sector, just file your flight plan as normal, set your Comms to UNICOM (122.80) and make announcements as to what you are doing (e.g. on the runway at XXXX, departing to the North, altitude, etc.). Any pilots in range will hear you. Keep an eye on the ATC Directory, and when you reach an area with coverage, switch and make contact (or they may contact you first). You will probably have to resend your flight plan then. Just in case you haven't already, download ServInfo. It is a fantastic program that will show who exactly who is online and where they are. That lets you plan flights where there is ATC online. Also, with such a huge world, there are only enough controllers to do a small part of it at a time. When I saw that, I decided to train as an ATC as well - why don't you consider it. It makes you a better pilot, for sure :)Happy Flying :)LiamLiam S. Dunch, Ex-pat AussieTour Manager, Collette Vacations

Guest rlefebvr

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know.So far I love it but I find Vatsim web site confusing. Information hard to come by and very poorly managed. It's like they don't want you to join. Ivao or whatever it's called on the other hand is well managed with lots of info and seems to make it easier for people to join and understand things. It seems more Europe oriented however.I wanted to try my hand at the Controller side of things, but I can't even find a manual or sector files for my region.Tanks for the info.Ron

Aaww, it's not _that_ bad :) Have to agree, though, in that I really don't care for frames. Anyway, glad my resposne was helpful. Forgot to mention, don't forget to use the TCAS to watch for other traffic. VATSIM itself is really only the umbrella organisation; to train, and for most anything else, you need to go to your region's page. Look in the right-hand column of the vatsim.net home page and you will see the links to the different divisions. Where are you located? I checked out IVAO, and I agree, lot's of Europe traffic, but I see generally more traffic on VATSIM, and there you can use voice, which for me is the main point. If I want to spend my whole flight typing I can use the MS ATC! Anyway, use the ID Maintenance link to "sign up" for a region and division, then go to their home page for further instructions and to start the training process.Liam S. Dunch, Ex-pat AussieTour Manager, Collette Vacations

Guest rlefebvr

Bingo. That's it. Why I missed it is beyond me.Also looking forward to setting up my mike.TCAS. Hmmm, will have to check that out, not to sure about that one.Oh, I am from Montreal Canada.Thanks again for the info.Ron

Liam,IVAO does support voice, just thought id let you know. Also it does offers worlwide coverage, ok, most of the activity is in europe and the USA.regardsMS

Mr. Seven,Thanks very much - I guess I was misinformed :( It just goes to show, always confim forum posts with some other source as well!Liam S. Dunch, Ex-pat AussieTour Manager, Collette Vacations

Guest jmuzz

Just one comment - since 122.8 seems to be the only unicom frequency available, it is easy to overload it.When you get your tcas up, if there is no other trafficat your location, don't broadcast your every intentionon the frequency. Of course if there is other traffic,use 122.8 for advisories and announcements.Good FlyingMuzz

Push the "E" button at the top left of the Squawkbox window. Note that the TCAS display does not resize automatically - you will need to make the S'Bax window large enough to grab the edges of the TCAS box and drag it to the size you want, then resize the Squawkbox to suit.Liam S. Dunch, Ex-pat AussieTour Manager, Collette Vacations