Sign in to follow this  

What's wrong with my rudder ?

Guest Twister

Hi,For some strange reason, my CH USB rudder "goes to sleep" every 10 minutes...when that happens, I unplug the device and plug it back in to get it working again.I use Win XP Professional. What could be wrong ?Thanks in advance for your advice.Twister

Guest PhilC

Some say that disabling the power save function for the USB Root Hub fixes it. Mine never 'goes to sleep' when flying but I almost always have to unplug them and plug them back in when I first start FS2002. The power save function is disabled on my PC.You can get to this setting by going to System Properties and select the hardware tab. Click the device manager button, locate the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, expand it, and double-click the USB Root Hub. Select the Power Management tab and uncheck the 'Allow this computer to turn off..." checkbox. Click OK.Hope this helps your situtation although others I have recommended this to already had the function disabled.

Guest Twister

Thanks for the reply Phil.The truth is that I've already done that step without getting any result.Could it be a driver problem ?Take careTwister

Guest nitram

How many USB devices do you have connected ? I have found that if I have just my CH yoke and pedals attached that this does not happen. If I connect my webcam aswell I find that my pedals disconnect themselves. Hope that this helps.Martin UK

Guest SD Sim

Hi Twister,Are you using the CH control manager? I had problems when I used the CM, but once I let XP recognize the yoke/pedals directly, there have been no further problems. Since you have already disabled the power saving function for your USB hubs, this is the next thing I would try. You might also try contacting Mark Beaumont, who is a wizard with the CH control manager and CH products.

Guest Twister

Hi,Thank you all for the replies.I'll try to disconnect the camera, might help, PC's are weird...Take careTwister

Guest PhilC

Thanks nitram.... I'm going to give that a try too. Never thought about other devices plugged in. Computers ARE weird.I do not use Control Manager and cannot think of a reason to use it. Heard more horror stories than success stories I'm afraid.

Guest nitram

The Problem with usb is that although companies claim that you can keep adding devices to their PC's, they forget to mention that there is a limit. Think of it this way, most USB devices need power to operate but your PC can only supply a certain amount. Using a powered Hub can overcome this in certain cases as this will provide a seperate current supply as so back up your PC demand. This should work in theory, but remember that the hub is another device so it does also add to the problem. A USB Webcam can hog virtually all of the power from your PC, even with a powered hub. Do what I do, just unplug the $%&*# thing !!!!!!!

Hi TwisterHow have you got on with the CH pedals?I've got the same problem with WinXP(home). Have looked at the power-saving options mentioned in this thread, and mine are all unchecked. The pedals still drop out of control after about 10 mins and the plane lurches to the left. The way I manage the problem is to tap the brakes with my foot every so often while in flight. This doesn't affect the flight dynamics and seems to keep the pedals awake.I just have the yoke and pedals connected via the USB ports. I have 4 ports, 2 at the back, and 2 on the front panel. I don't have any other USB hardware.Has disconnecting your USB camera solved your problem?Best wishesDon Hunt

Guest Twister

Hi Don,Indeed, disconnecting the web camera seems to have solved my problem. I still have to unplug and replug the device each time I launch the sim - but other than that it seems to be working fine now.Take careTwister

Hi TwisterGreat news -- for you! I'm really pleased your problem has been sorted. Now, is there anyone out there who is able to help me with my dozy CH pedals, please?