Sign in to follow this  

Boeing Clipper B314 ?

Hi,Is this package worth the money?Was thinking to purchase, but don

Staffan

Guest Timbo

It's one of the best FS2002 addons I've ever flown. The avionics are top notch and the plane and scenery is too. It's got a bit of a learning curve and you absolutely must read the manual. The model is detailed so you'll need a mid to high range comp to get above 15 FPS but from the cockpit FPS are excellent. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll try to answer them.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:www.fsworldonline.com/~timsfsstudio]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated August 16th!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Thanks Tim,I just placed an order for the boxed version.Since there are not that many quality addons of "steam" gauge aircraft/panel packages, I need to get hold of as many as possible while they are available. :-lolThis was ment as a hint to all "steam" gauge aircraft/panel package developers. ;-)Fly safe, :-waveStaffan AhlbergFreeware Flight Group

Staffan

Guest CX001

Believe me, it's worth every cent. I can say that alot of sweat, blood, tears, and love for the airplane went into the addon and it is well worth the money. The panel, scenery, or aircraft alone are worth the money, like Tim said. The only trouble i've ever had was before the manual existed(prior to release)! It's plenty of fun just getting the airplane ready for engine start. I highly suggest printing and binding the manual for quick reference. The VC is very nice, but it's hard to fly with the FE's deck 10 or so feet away, and unreachable, thanks to the FS quirk. The Flight Engineer panel, however, si almsot completely adequate for flying, except for the "sacred six." The Navigator's desk even has a very nice cup of coffee waiting for you. In case you're wondering what my connection is to PILOTS, I painted the markings for the 3 BOAC B-314As and the 3 "prototype" B-314 models. I'm in the thanks list in the manual.

If you think you would enjoy flying a ocean liner, This is the plane to get. It behaves like a big plane and feels like a big slow plane. It is no jet airliner and you will get your moneys worth just trying to lift her off the water. I love it!

...Agreed with all above. If you're into vintage flight in a big way...the Clipper model is a dream come true. She's a real challenge to fly well, but once you've got a feel for the controls and systems...it's pure joy. ...What an amazing experience....flying the B314....that's something that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Guest SabreHawk

Well so far Im not happy with this thing at all, first and worst the scenery is giving me fatal errors,something to do with a file named "g3d.dll". It happens only when getting near the included scenery.Two, this fellow Steve is a bit of a smart***, when I inquired about this problem in an e-mail and I clearly stated in it that I have not yet recieved the registration e-mail with the links to some updates, and asked if these updates may solve the problem, he replied that I should have read the e-mail and followed the links to get the sp1 update.Well, HE didnt read MY e-mail.............I dont have the e-mail yet.I said in it that I do not have it yet, and was only asking if the updates that I will be able to access once I do will help.This is not the way you handle a paying customer, you first state that you are sorry there is a problem, and will investigate it.Plus you dont get smart with a customer, and say that they should have read something, especially when that customer has not even recieved it to read in the first place.Well I have uninstalled the thing and Im awaiting a registratin e-mail confirmation, and then I'll re-install it with the update in hand and hopefully it will work in FS9 properly this time with out the fatal error and also the blurred aircraft textures that look so terrible.

For those interested, I am currently reflying the Long Way Home, the epic voyage by Clipper 02 as undertaken between 02 December 1941 and 06 January 1942 between San Francisco and Newark flying westwards.Clipper 02 was shut off from returning home from Auckland by the Japanese bombing (and feared invasion) of Hawaii on 07 December (in fact, they got the word when listening to a New Zealand radio station they were tracking for direction to Auckland).They were ordered to make best possible time flying west to New York, something no commercial aircraft had ever attempted before.They had no aviation charts, just an old school atlas, noone knew they were coming, and they had just $500 in US funds for fuel and food for the entire trip which was the total amount available in the PanAm stationmanager's office in Auckland as augmented the money the crewmembers had among them.A scheduled regular 1 week run turned into a monthlong journey into the unknown.They had to pass through warzones, were shot at, and established records.On arrival in New York ATC told them to hold for over an hour because landing at night was prohibited when the famous words "Newark tower, Clipper 02 out of Auckland is 6 minutes out" were heard over the radio in the early morning of 06 January 1942.

Guest SabreHawk

Well since uninstalling and deleting the scenery folder which BTW the uninstaller did not, the crashes have stopped and I can fly all over Hawaii now with no problems.I still have yet to recieve an e-mail on the registration, good grief I nean the regular mail would be faster it's been three days.With no support this a definete waste of money IMO.The website is useless for getting any help either as there is no suport forum.;(

Pilot's is a small operation, most likely they're just out of town for something.When I had contact with them a few months ago all emails were answered quickly.Sometimes it took a day or so, but that was usually when I sent it off late at night and only got to check my mail again the next evening.I've no problems at all with the scenery, it functions perfectly.

>Well so far Im not happy with this thing at all, first and>worst the scenery is giving me fatal errors,something to do>with a file named "g3d.dll". It happens only when getting near>the included scenery.>>Two, this fellow Steve is a bit of a smart***, when I inquired>about this problem in an e-mail and I clearly stated in it>that I have not yet recieved the registration e-mail with the>links to some updates, and asked if these updates may solve>the problem, he replied that I should have read the e-mail and>followed the links to get the sp1 update.>Well, HE didnt read MY e-mail.............I dont have the>e-mail yet.>I said in it that I do not have it yet, and was only asking if>the updates that I will be able to access once I do will>help.>>This is not the way you handle a paying customer, you first>state that you are sorry there is a problem, and will>investigate it.>Plus you dont get smart with a customer, and say that they>should have read something, especially when that customer has>not even recieved it to read in the first place.>>Well I have uninstalled the thing and Im awaiting a>registratin e-mail confirmation, and then I'll re-install it>with the update in hand and hopefully it will work in FS9>properly this time with out the fatal error and also the>blurred aircraft textures that look so terrible. Did you follow the FS2004 instructions on the website? I'm guessing not. Also, if you are getting fatal errors it isn't their scenery, it is your computer. Their product has been out for a while and all of a sudden they have one person who has something screwed up and they are just supposed to provide to you with an instant fix? The Clipper wasn't even designed for FS2004..does it work? Yes. It worked fine for me for a long time, in fact I have never had one issue with it. Of course I followed the directions on their website.I have spoken with the people over there quite a few times and they have always been really nice and professionial. Their responses have always been very polite and quite timely.If your attitude with them is anything like what it is here then I don't blame them. You don't come across very politely. Your post kind of comes off as kind of cantankerous.You can't really expect any help here snce you have provided absolutely nothing in the way of information regarding your computer or drivers.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Small detail he didn't mention here: He has another scenery package for Hawaii installed as well.My guess is that THAT package doesn't work together well with the Clipper package (which was released some 18 months before that other package) and that that incompatibility is causing the problems.

>Small detail he didn't mention here: He has another scenery>package for Hawaii installed as well.>My guess is that THAT package doesn't work together well with>the Clipper package (which was released some 18 months before>that other package) and that that incompatibility is causing>the problems.Good point.Sometimes the smallest things can cause everything to go haywire, in FS. I'd be happy to try and help, as I'm sure they would be, but the issue just seemd to vague.:)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest SabreHawk

Im sorry fellers if I seem harsh, but this has all stated since installing the Clipper, and in fact this g3d.dll I never even heard of or had any error with. I aggree with you that it may be some wierd conflict with other scenery, but I really dont think it is the Golden Hawaii pkg. as it was not active when this occured, I had set the Golden Hawaii to default FS before flying this.And I suppose it does irk me a bit when I know so many others have it working, and im a bit frustrated as you can tell, but I have never had a pkg act so wierd.Yes i did install it just exactly as per the website instruction, in fact I even copied it all down to have at my side as i did. The only exception is I have not the SP1 upgrade. but there was no indication that it was absalutely essential to have this pkg work in FS9, only that it had some upgrades and enhancements. I have even printed out the entire 64 pg manual, and im not entirely ignorant of how an install is done,I have installed many a scenery & aircraft much more complicated than this and manuallyI have now uninstalled this, and reinstalled two times and now the sceneries do not show up in the sim at all, at any of the locations.The stange thing is that they show up in the scenery library as active, and I even checked in the main scenery folder for the presence of the scnery, and it is there, all the BGL's and all the textures in their respective folders.I know it all sounds as if it must be my system at fault since it works for ya'all. But I tell ya it dont make any sense to me neither.As for specs, well im running a KD7A Mobo, AMD AthalonXP 2600+/333FSB, A Geforce4 Ti4200 W/128mb DDR 8X, 512mb DDR ram, and Im using Windows XPpro.As for scenery at Hawaii, I have the Golden Hawaii pkg by Bill Lyons, a few FSE files around here & there, and MAC Hawaii Package (PHJR / PMAC)By: Todd Lucas(Margaritaair). And thats it, no mesh, and no other anomolies have ever shown up there. In fact the only mesh I have in FS9 is what was installed in the Emma field pkg from Lago, hehe, which is far, far away.Beleive me, I have dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's on this or I wouldnt be here asking, and again I do appoligize if I sounded harsh, but it is just frustration. :( Im really an easy goin fellow, just ask those who know me at Margarita Air, I dont get this frustrated but this thing is so wierd, and with no support forum at hand but the public ones availible..............and I never had this much problem with freeware, much less payware.Thanks again for any suggestions you may have, heh, as im lost on this one.P.S. I attached the scnery cfg. & the Dxdaig that was done per the error report on the last crash. I did see something in the scenery cfg. that didnt look right and looks like what could be causing the scenery to now not show in the sim, but the Dxdiag is greek to me mostly, Lol. :) I can only imagine that the scenery cfg. has wound up this way due to the two or three uninstalls & reinstalls of the B314.

Guest RobA

Saber, I see you have 3 entries for the Clipper scenery. Try cleaning up your scenery.cfg and see if it helps. I've had the Clipper 314 since it came out and have it running in fs9 just fine. Maybe try placing the Clipper scenery just after the AddonScenery entry?Hope you get it sorted out.Best, Rob