Sign in to follow this  

Round the world in a.....?

My new quest is a round the world GA trek. The only things I have in mind is that I'm departing N99 (Brandywine), and am going to land on runways at every base to which my dad dragged us when I was a kid, every base which has a runway where I was stationed myself, and the two cities where my wife grew up (Havana and Sofia). What I haven't determined is what I want to fly to get there.Other than those hightlights, I've not determined my flight plan (could just be a "fling the bird up there and go wherever I may roam in a generally eastward direction, or it could be a thought out thing) nor have I made any determination on the aircraft other than "twin GA."I don't care about how the outside of the airplane looks as a rule... I fly my aircraft exclusively from the interior. VC is nice, but not necessary with the right airframe. What I do want is this: an airplane that behaves itself reasonably well yet requires some modicum of skill to fly properly, has legs enough to make it around the world without having to stop at every little island along the Aleutian chain, and can make reasonable speed that I'm not still working on this quest when FS2008 is released. I also would like an airplane of sufficient flyability where I'm not bored to tears with flying the thing by the time I cross the English Channel. Not asking much, is it?I've heard wonderful things about the Golden Eagle and am wondering if that's the bird for me. Any comments on the plus or minus side of the 421C are very welcome, particularly in the "value for the dollar" and flyability areas. I'd also appreciate other ideas on GA twins for this trip. I don't want to lock in on one aircraft if there are others worth the look-see.Thanks in advance.

I think you have hit on the right aircraft. I have the C-421 Golden Eagle, and believe this is the one for you. The overall effects to be found with this airplane might suit you well. The Beech 1900 and/or the King Air 350 work well for such a trip, but the Microsoft Aircraft lack in many amenities. So I recommend the good old 421. IF and when you learn to tune the com and nav radios you will be in like Flynn. REad the two .PDF files. The manual, and the tutorial. Good luck. And have a safe journey. May the wind be always at your back. The 421 can make it across from Africa to the Island just off the South American coast. But you'll need to come up over Alaska and down on the Pacific leg I think. Have a good one.