Sign in to follow this  
Guest JStenger

New Pilot Client goes Alpha

Guest JStenger

Hi all,just wanted to let you know that we are starting our final alpha phase with the new pilot client and that a closed beta is expected to begin soon. You can find a brief feature list with some screenshots here: http://www.flightproject.net/software/down.../ATOC_Pilot.pdfThe latest adition to the pilot client is a TCAS module:http://www.flightproject.net/software/down...s/ATOC_TCAS.gifRight now we are testing:1) FS2002 and FS2004 Module (Modules)2) Data Sharing (WideFS substitute)3) Data Grabbing (FSUIPC substitute)4) AI Data (AIbridge substitute)5) extended FS2004 weatherItems 2-5 are already built in the client so there is no need for additional software if you want to fly online.Regarding the weather, the client and server will use NOAA Data outside Europe. In Europe "real" weather will be used. It is no longer based on ICAO codes but on longitude/latitude values and provides 8 layers, each with visibility, clouds, temperature and winds aloft. There will be no random weather anymore like with SB2.x but all pilots will have the same data. Our developer staff plans to provide also a weather radar module for the pilot client but it is not certain yet, if that module will make it into the beta.J

Guest sb55mv

Hi,I hate to sound stupid!, But. is this some kind of S/Box program, or is it for us to be able to connect to VATSIM, will we still need SB, and SB Host, and SB Relay too, thanks,Steve.

Guest JStenger

Hi Steve,it is one possibility to replace SB2.x on FS2002/FS2004 just like Joel's SB3. The client is fully integrated into FS2002/FS2004 providing the functionality of FSUIPC/WideFS/FSMeteo/ActiveSky out of the box, i.e. you don't need to buy those if you just want to fly online (I will still need to buy FSUIPC because of my special joystick set-up; and I'm happy that I have saved a free-ware version for FS2002).You won't need *any* other program like SBhost, SBrelay, weather tools to connect to a network and fly online if you will use this client.Now for Vatsim and IVAO - the basic functions should work on all networks - we already can display ATC of all Networks, Vatsim, IVAO and FPI in the ATC directory. The question is: Will Vatsim/IVAO approve this software for being used on their networks or not. IVAO already declined our Controller Software (ICP), let's see if they do the same with the pilot client. Vatsim didn't show any interest in approving our Controller Software, too, and it was also indicated in a local board that that they don't adore our Pilot Client. So, I guess, the ball is in the court of the HQ/BoG of the other networks concerning allowing the use of this client on their Networks.I'll keep you posted on our progress here.J

That client looks awesome!!!!!!I currently don't fly online anymore becuase it is a pain in the @$$ to set up all the SB clients and get them going. Also the current interface on SB leaves much to be desired. I can't wait for this to be released, I will surely fly online again.P.S.Any estimated projected release information?(ie, winter,spring...)

That looks to be a very well spec'ed pilot client but it would appear it is limited to your own network.A shame that the two major on-line flying networks do not seem interested in either your controller or pilot s/ware.It would be interesting to see a response from IVAO and Vatsim.

Guest JStenger

Hi there,It will definately be ready before x-mas (this year ;) ).Since all of our developers do the coding in their spare time, definate release information is a bit difficult. If we proceed at the current rate, it will be rather into the direction of thanks giving. As I said, right now we are testing the aspects mentioned in my first posting. Today, my AP was fed with "false" values, my com/nav frequencies were changed remotely over the internet between two private networks without any portforwarding. This feature will be used for our pilot ratings, which are voluntarily and in the final version, pilots will of course have a switch where they can allow/dis-allow for remote control. By the way, I just received a tutorial for painting our remote aircraft liveries (similar to the "CSL", you have now in SB2.x). We will publish this tutorial well ahead of the release so virtual airlines will be able to submit their paint scheme to us. This is the example shape which was made with MS-Paint for the tutorial and that's what our RAL shapes will look like:http://www.flightproject.net/public-relati...3_Lauda_Air.jpgJ

Guest JStenger

Hi Jim,no idea - we didn't received any inquiry from any other Network in our Software. Technically the new pilot client can be operated on all networks.The question is, if the new client is authorized/approved/desired on the other networks.Basically we have no problem to make the pilot client availeable to the general public. Especially since it's basic functions (e.g. display the ATC Directory) are operational on all existing FSD-based networks, using the standard protocollJ

Well, nuts to them. So how is the movement of the remote aircraft across a network? Does your software make the movement more fluid than VATSIM/SB and can such things as flap settings, landing gear and the other stuff FS2004 now sends in multiplayer be displayed on the remote aircraft as well? If you can get the aircraft movement to be more fluid, then I'm sure you could get alot more people interested! I'd certainly be one of them! Maybe start your own online flightsim network?Also, and this probably is on your site somewhere, but can you run your client software on a separate pc?Jim

Hi Jim,1) yes, i implemented gears, flaps, rudders, engines and landing lights.If your INet connection is over (1,5KBit/sec) the remote aircrafts inbound 1-2nm will be shown in absolutely the same fluidmotion like you know from the direct MP connection in FS4&FS2.The Pilot Client fully supports FS4K & FS2K without any additional application like SBRelay or FSUIPC.2) Yes, the client can run on an other machineI hope this answer your questionsBest regardsStefan WiddauFPI Software Development Administrator

Guest BoeingFreak

Indeed this system looks really good! Btw, if the software isn't approved by the BoG of any particular network, would will still be able to use this piece of software on it? I am making the assumtipion here it connects to the standard FSD server

Hi Liam,the main functions are based on the standard FSD protocol.Also the fluidmotion is possible.We build new backwards compatible Servers and Weather Servers , but all additional functions are also available with simple and effective changings on FSD server side.Best regards Stefan WiddauFPI Software Development Administrator

Guest JStenger

Hi Jim,"Maybe start your own online flightsim network?"We did that already ;) You can find out more by clicking on the link in my signature (http://www.flightproject.net)We certainly don't have as much traffic as other networks have yet, but we we see a steady grow of folks using our controller client and voice system. Pilots connect to FPI right now with the standard SB2.x until the new client is released. If you like, you can have a look at the voice and controller client at http://www.flightproject.net/software/download/index.html but please remember, that you are not allowed to use them on Vatsim or IVAO. An actual server list of FPI can be found at http://www.flightproject.net/?TP=ONJ

Guest JStenger

Just as an Update to the "When" Q...Public Beta starts end of Octobre 2003 - that is in 1 and a half month ;)I'll keep you posted on our progress with the closed Beta :)J