Sign in to follow this  
Guest sb55mv

SB Relay and Norton Internet Security 2004

Guest sb55mv

Hi ALl.Firstly, you will see my specs in my sig,so you know what I'm using,now then, I just can't seem to get sb relay 1.2 to interact with fs9 and sb host etc. I have even tried turning off my firewall,and security prog. even then I just don't seem to be able to get sb relay to show in the list of sessions to connect to in fs9. I can create a session etc, but not connect to sb relay, I have checked the FAQ and read the readme, has anyone else had this issue,or know of anything else to try.I can't be the only one,surely not.thanks in advanceSteve,

First off Steve I would make sure Norton stuff is actually turned off, I have a sneaky feeling that bits of it remain on even though you think you turned them off - unless someone knows better.If that does not work uninstall Norton, just for a trial, and see if you can connect.One of our VA pilots had problems with Norton AV I think, I'll ask him what he had to do before he could connect and get back to you ASAP.RgdsVulcan

Guest sb55mv

>First off Steve I would make sure Norton stuff is actually>turned off, I have a sneaky feeling that bits of it remain on>even though you think you turned them off - unless someone>knows better.>>If that does not work uninstall Norton, just for a trial, and>see if you can connect.>>One of our VA pilots had problems with Norton AV I think, I'll>ask him what he had to do before he could connect and get back>to you ASAP.>>Rgds>VulcanHi Vulcan,let me get this straight, you want me to fly on-line with NO firewall and Internet protection at all... there must be another way round thisSteve

If all firewalls are off.Try the follwing: Make a host session in FS, disconnect the host session and try to connect FS to SBrelay.Jos

>let me get this straight, you want me to fly on-line with NO firewall and Internet protection at all,No. Re-read my reply and the description of your problem Steve.You state that you cannot even connect to an MP session so you are nowhere near flying.My suggestion was to make sure any firewall/AV s/ware was really disabled so you could run a test to see if you could connect to am MP session.If that happens without any AV or firewall then you know one of those bits of s/ware are causing the problem. If you cannot be sure bits of AV or firewall s/ware are not lurking in the background you have no way of knowing if they are causing the problem or not.Alternateively you could wait until I have contacted the person who had similar problems and find out the exact method he used to sort the problem out.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Vulcan and Jose,(appologies to you Vulcan)Guy's, what I did do was this. when I installed Norton Internet Security 2004 (which is internet security and Norton anti-virus all in one) I just let it configure my internet / program settings for me, ie: automaticaly, but just yesterday I challenged those settings by going into the 'Firewall' settings and configuring them manualy, in the settings for AVC,FS9,Servinfo,SB Relay, S/Box. I allowed traffic to and from other computers,not just ones on this network(even though i'm not on one) and also allowed TCP&UDP and ALL computers in which the named programmes are trying to connect to and from,in other words I told IS2004 that it's OK to let SB,AVC etc to connect to the net, and hey presto, problem solved....well most of the time,occasionaly I might have to Host a sesion,then quit it,and re-try to join a SB Relay session, not all the time,but now and then,it usualy finds the SB Relay server on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. this I can live with,but I'm still confused as to why it's having problems finding something that I have FULLY allowed, so Vulcan if you can manage to contact that other person. I would be interested to hear what they say,thanks a lot and cheers to both of you Guy'sSteve.

I got a reply from our VA pilot but I'm afraid it's not much help. He cannot fully remember what he did but thinks it was just a case of disabling the Norton firewall - sorry.If Norton will allow you to open and forward specific ports I guess you know that MS have a list of those needed for MP sessions, and somewhere there are details of the ports needed for SB, RW etc.Best solution would be search on this forum, or the VATSIM forum for 'ports'.Best of luck.

Guest sb55mv

no sweat, but thanks for trying all the same Vulcan, much appreciared matey.Steve

Steve, one other thought you may wish to try.Download Zone Alarm (free version) and install that instead of Norton firewall and see if that cures your problems - at least we know ZA does work.If you do decide to do that make sure Norton is fully uninstalled first, two firewalls can cause havoc :-)Best of luck.

Guest fspilotguy.tk

Yup Zonealarm will fix you right up, the trick with Norton I found was I had to fully uninstall it, to really shut it off. A good freeware Anti-virus is AVG

I have had this exact same problem, however, mine was due to a wireless router. Every time I tried to start a multiplayer session and connect to SBRelay, it wouldn't show up. Finally solved it. Now, before I start SBRelay, I disable my network connection, start SBRelay, start FS9, join SBRelay in multiplayer, then go back and re-enable my network connection.It's a bit of a messy work around, but it seems to work OK.

Dave,When this topic is released on the the team by MB I can see it taking far more time than what is already on the VATSIM PRC :-)

When I reread your post, I noticed that you made mention of a network? If this is the case, are you using a router? I have found that unless I disable the Universal Plug and Play in the router software, FS9 will not see SBRelay in the multiplayer setup. I'm not sure why this is, but it does work. This was one of the suggestions from chocolateware.

Hi all,This did the trick for me also.Besides of this: disable automatic cookies and be sure you configure your IE to manual. Throw away all your cookies and start from the bottom.Till now I'm able to use Norton IS 2004 with success!!CheersJohan