Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kultsound

squawkbox over proxy connection... HELP!

Guest Kultsound

Hi all!A bit of a technical problem maybe somebody has been able to resolve..? I am runing FS9 on my primary desktop that also connects to the Net via ADSL. Runing FS9, SB, AS2004 and you name it on the same machine is no problem.I also have a WIFI network in my house and now want to run SB via WideFS on a laptop. Connecting them together using sbrelay is no problem and I get a session between the two going but...My laptop, and all other possible machines on the wifi net, use a proxy server (analogx proxy) to share internet connection. Basically I tell all my web apps to connect using proxy via address x and port y. It all works brilliantly up until SB that does not seem to have and option to connect via proxy :(Have I missed a setup option in SB or is there another way?Thanks,Peter

Guest Flyntrumpet

Hey Peter:Just so you know, I am having the same exact problems, I just couldn't word as well as you did! Everything seems to be running well, except for the fact that SB doesn't connect to a server, other than the one created in SBRelay. I thought it had to do with opening up a port, but the only thing is, i have no idea what number port it would be.

Guest Kultsound

Since nobody else has had an answer I start to believe that there is no way to connect via a proxy :( If so there would have been such an option rather than whatever port SB no uses I guess....Well, hope that both IVAO and VATSIM solve that in their upcomming clients...// peter

Guest rcritz

No, there will be no change in how the clients connect to the network.We don't support the use of proxies. It is possible, if you know what you're doing, but it's not something we support or assist with.

Guest Kultsound

Ah, that is a firm answer. Not wanting to be impolite but may I ask why? Even a hardware firewall, which today is becoming a bit of a standard at home, not to mention company networks, is a form a proxy server...With home wired and wireless networks becoming very popular and very affordable more and more people will want to share Internet connections over several computers. Without buying a dedicated network router a software proxy is the easy solution.I'm just amazed by the definite response from you and by the fact that a proxy server is client side and does not change the way in which one "connects to the network". Don't take me wrong but however the new version of SB should contain such a feature, and any serious piece of network software do these days, ought to be a decision between us, the users, and the developer.The way the VATSIM network sees, from a server point of view, the SB connection is EXACTLY the same as without a proxy. If I used a hardware proxy, that is, a ADSL router on my connection, the VATSIM (or IVAO) servers would never ever see any difference! A phone or DSL modem is already a router - just a step between the local computer network (and that is even a single machine) and the ISP network which in turn connects to the Internet. There are probably hundreds of routers along the path between my machine and the VATSIM server at any given time...What I'm trying to say is that any serious piece of networking software should have an option to run via proxy connections and that this feature does not in any way compromise the actual connection to VATSIM, IVAO or any other online servers! With the vast amount of addons for FS9 and realistic planes like the PMDG NG-series a lot of simmers want to be able to run across several machines. Not only is this a matter of screen space but also CPU power. At the moment there is no choice beyond SB but even if there was I'm not very interested in having pop-up windows across my EICAS while on final in a snow blizzard into Innsbruck and I'm sure other users agree. A simple way of running SB on my laptop would solve that problem! Yes, FS9 talks to SB via WideFS, brilliant, but my laptop connects to the Net via WiFi and AnalogX freeware proxy to the same connection as FS9 on my main machine... Best Regards,Peter MankowskiWeb designer, audio engineer & avid flightsim fan

Guest grahamsumner

Not sure why you are using your own proxy server.(JUST USE INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING. Turn of zonealarm if you have it running. I have the same set up as you and things work ok. Here is my setting.Desktop - Direct connection BroadBand ti internet sharing this connect on my lan. Mine is wired yours is wifi they are the same in this case. Until recently I used bluetooth would you believe.OK on desktop Startup1 sbrelay2 avc tuner3 Starup FS9 and set your plane ready for startup.Laptop1 Start widefs.2 Start sbhost.3 Start sbmain.Squawkbox connects to the internet through normal internet connection sharing and to your fs9 through widefs. There shouldn't be any problems. I think your problem lies with your proxy server . . you don't really need one nowadays.Graham

Guest cmar

This problem is only about seting network connection, i think ... you have to setup NAT on proxy server

Guest Kultsound

Yes, it is the proxy that is the trouble but Internet Connection Sharing has been troublesome on my setup. Anyway, I have solved all this via a WiFi router now! Just as in your case, my laptop now just connects without having to deal with any internal addresses :)Thanks anyway!// Peter A. Mankowskihttp://www.mankowski.co.ukhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest eldarion

I'd still be interested in that port number. I live currently in a hostel that has one broadband coming in. This is shared out via some kind of router. I have a doubt that our netw. admin has blocked some ports, because ASRC and some other programs won't connect either. AVC gives an error that the requested auth. server isn't responding. If I knew the ports, then maybe I'd able to convince the admin to open up these.So can anyone please give me the ports for SB and for AVC?Just for information:In another hostel with similar setup, I had also my own NAT router (an old comp. running coyote-linux) sharing conn. in my room and everything worked fine. Thus it has to be a problem with the hostel's router.Johan