Sign in to follow this  
Guest BenRuger

WideFS and SquawkBox sounds

Guest BenRuger

HiI run two networked machines linked by WideFS 6.4. Machine 1 runs FS 9.1 and FSUIPC 3.4 on Windows 2000. Machine 2 runs SquawkBox 2.3.5 and SBRelay 1.2 on Windows ME. My problem is that SB only generates sounds when the WideClient.exe window has the focus on the ME machine; the rest of the time it is silent. Does anyone have a solution so that SB sounds are always produced? Many thanksBen

I too am very interested in this. I have the same problem except now I get no sound out of SB running on the second machine.My setupXPPro running fs9 with FSUIPC 3411 and widefs on 2nd machine running 2000pro and sb2.3.5. When I was running 2.3.4 i got all the sounds.I wonder if it has to do with sb host maybe as i didnt need to run svhost with 2.3.4has anyone got a full version of 2.3.4 ordetails so i can reinstall 2.3.4??rob

Rob Grant
Compass Airlines - Stretch Your Wings Australia

Guest BenRuger

Hi RobI've been given a copy of 2.3.4, though I cannot make it work on my set up. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it on.Ben

>My problem is that SB only generates sounds when the WideClient.exe window has the focus on the ME machine; the rest of the time it is silent.

Rob,You should be able to reinstall 2.3.4 from the 2.3.5 version, just tell it you are running an earlier version of flight sim.I think the set-up is covered in the Pilot Resource Centre.

>>My problem is that SB only generates sounds when the>WideClient.exe window has the focus on the ME machine; the>rest of the time it is silent.[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vateud.org/images/vatsim-eurs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Guest BenRuger

KyprianosThanks for the reply, but I'm puzzled by: "Nope, it is always silent with SB2.3.5".I definitely have version 2.3 Beta, on the "Click here to get into the action" screen it is shown as Build 5 and I do get sounds as described in my original post. I know of at least one other person who has the same experience.I do hope you're right about the new pilot clients.Ben

Guest BenRuger

VulcanThanks for the reply. I think you're right, but it does seem odd that sounds work only when WideClient has focus. Do you think SB was designed to only make sounds when FS itself had focus?Ben

I have never used SB on the same PC as FS, at least as far as I can rememeber so cannot answer that one.However there are a lot of programs that do nothing unless they have the focus so SB is the norm rather than the exception.When I fly with VATSIM I have all manner of things open on the second computer but when I expect a call on SB I make sure it has the focus.I do hope that Kyp is right that new s/ware is around the corner, we have been waiting for quite some time, some of us more patiently than others :-)

>Kyprianos>>Thanks for the reply, but I'm puzzled by: >> "Nope, it is always silent with SB2.3.5".>I am refering to SB 2.3.5 on the second PC not the primary.On the second it never makes sounds regardless of focus or no focus.Vulcan I don't know anything more than you do. I have fingers crossed too ;-)Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vateud.org/images/vatsim-eurs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Guest BenRuger

KyprianosI'm still puzzled. "On the second it never makes sounds regardless of focus or no focus."If by the second PC, you mean the one without FS, I can assure that SB 2.3.5 does make sounds: I'm listening to them as I write. I agree that whether SB is in focus or not is irrelevant, the determining factor is whether WideClient is in focus. If it is, then SB makes sounds.I didn't mention in my first post that I run SB in SB Host; is this the difference that is causing the confusion?CheersBen

Guest BenRuger

Vulcan"When I fly with VATSIM I have all manner of things open on the second computer but when I expect a call on SB I make sure it has the focus."I was very interested to read that you expect SB to have the focus, not WideClient. Is this because you are running SB 2.3.4 in WideClient, rather than 2.3.5 in SB Host?I'm sorry if I'm being a bore on this topic, but I find it strange that, at least on my set up, WideClient focus determines whether a totally separate piece of software makes noise.Thanks for your help.BenPS I didn't think your namesake was noted for his patience.

>I was very interested to read that you expect SB to have the focus, not WideClient

Hi,Me I am running FS 9.1 on computer #1 (WinXP) with Wideserver. On computer #2 (Win98) I am running Wideclient, ActiveSky, SBRelay, SBHost.exe and within SBHost the Squawkbox 2.3.5. No problems with sound at all and no matter, which application has the focus.RegardsReinhard

I would guess you are having no sound problems Reinhard because you are running SBHost.exe, in fact you do not need this when using two computers.