Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Which Video Card ?

Guest cornclose

I am currently using a Geforce2 GTS 32mb AGP card. The features of this card and the performance of it have always been great for most sims. What it is lacking in is local video memory.What I now want is a 128mb card with as good (or better) performance as the Geforce2 GTS (note, GTS not MX).What would be the cheapest card with 128mb without going overboard on other useless features which would not be used on flight sims, or does getting a card with 128mb mean you have to get the latest and greatest in other areas. Also, how much would such a card cost ?I don't mind an MX card (such as a GF4 if one exists) as long as it won't be a bottleneck in terms of bandwidth for flight sims. Note I am not interested in Unreal Tournement etc.I assume a GF3 of probably a GF4 would be the only ones with 128mb.ThanksChris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

""I don't mind an MX card (such as a GF4 if one exists) as long as it won't be a bottleneck in terms of bandwidth for flight sims"""No you don't want a GF4 MX. Why?? Cause a GF4 MX is based on GF2 technology. You get nothing but a GF2 under the guise of a GF4 name. False Advertising, I say.You need to post your processor speed. If you're running a PIII stay with what you have. If you have a nice new PIV (big one) then go either the GF3Ti500 or a GF4Ti4*00, depending on how much money you want to spend.You're right. The GTS is a great card. I have to 64mg variety and it goes like the energizer bunny.

Guest cornclose

Yes, the GTS has been great, but I need more local video memory.I have an XP1800+ with 768mb DDR and ATA100 IBM DeskStar.So is the GF4MX really a GF2 GTS in terms of performance. If one was cheap enough and you can get an MX with 128mb, I might still be interested....Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

You want reflections, don't get the MX. It's really limited. Look at the pricing for the Ti4200 and the Ti4400 first. I think you find you can get a real Ti card for about the same as the MX. The GF4MX is GF2 technology without all the fancy gizmos. You won't be happy with it. Just do a search on these forums and over at flightsim and you'll find a bunch of unhappy campers.

I second the Ti 4200 motion. Great card for the value and I saw real improvement in the visuals (clarity, less blurries etc.). I moved from a 64 mg tntII pro and was very, very impressed. Colin

I'm not sure. I based my buying decision on articles at Mike's Hardware site, which have been pretty positive about the 4200 as one of the best bang-for-the-buck cards. I know that the scenery textures on my screen are significantly sharper, and that the "blurries" tend to be much farther out in the distance than before. I am quite happy with my purchase - you should be able to get one for around $180 at Comp USA.