Sign in to follow this  

Ready to give this a try but need some advice please!

Ready to try some vatsim flying. I've got FS2002 Pro and been reading post off and on about what works and what doesn't. Exactly what do I need to download that works with 2002? Thanks!

Hi Bill,Nice to see that you are making the step to the higher level of realism :), enjoy it.Ok the minimum you will need to download is SquawkBox, this is the client with wich you can make contact to the VATSIM server and file a flightplan etc. www.simclients.comSomething that strictly isn't necessary but is a must-have anyhow is ServInfo (do a search on google for it). It lets you see the server stats, the controller and pilots online including Flight Plans and Roger Wilco servers, you cant do without (in my opinion)A program already mentioned above is ROger Wilco, this is the program that is used on VATSIM to communicate with controllers and other pilots on voice. This is however a higly discussed topic, some people think you can learn the phraseology (???) better when starting on text. But using voice (in my opinion) gives you the time to comply with the ATC commands. www.rogerwilco.com or www.hoppie.nl (and then under hobby stuff) for the non spyware functionIf you are running SB en FS on the same system (wich most people do) you could download hostsb.dll (do a search for it) to make your life more easy when having to type something in SBYou could also download Whazzup, this is also a server proggie with a bit less info but a nice visual interface where you can check where wich controller is and where wich pilot is. www.schiratti.comLast but not least: download the available maps (charts) for the place you want to fly, you will normally find them on a download page at the site of the apropriate VACC.If you run into any trouble or are still having questions, just shout :)Regards,http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cb087ba3b508945.jpg

Guest GiZBUG

Great info.I, to, am getting started with VATSIM.Last night was my first attempt. I logged into one of the main servers listed at the top of the VATSIM/WHO's Online page, and once I got in the game, I saw on my ADV Display bar people typing. But I was trying to talk to people, and I didn't hear anyone talking. Do I need to log into one of the VOICE servers to talk to ATC?

Hi there,There are two ways of communicating with ATC and other pilots: by text and via voice.To transmit and recieve messages by text you will have to tune your COM 1 frequency in the plane to the appropriate frequency, to do this you can best rightclick on the SB program and then to ATC directory, and then double-click on the controller you want to talk to. If all goes well SB will autotune your COM1 freq.To transmit and receive messages by voice, with the help of the rogerwilco program (www.rogerwilco.com) you will have to let RW (rogerwilco) log on to the voice server that controller is using. When your settings are properly set SB will do that for you when you receive the ATIS of a specific controller and RW information is included. To receive an ATIS from a controller just follow the steps described above by the text procedure. SB will automatically dispay the apropriate ATIS message when available. You can also manually get an ATIS by typing in the SB input field: .ATIS EHAM_W_APP (this would cause SB to request Schiphol approach his ATIS for you)Depending on your settings RW will be automatically tuned (when the atis holds the right infromation) or you will have to do it yourself.Lets say that you received the following ATIS from Schiphol Approach:This is Schiphol Approach information Charlie. RW IP 212.19.195.26/EHAM_W_APP Departure runway 01L arr. rwy 06. Qnh1012 TL040. Report ALPHA on initial contactThe part you are interested in (for RW usage) is 212.19.195.26/EHAM_W_APP When you open RW and want to join the controller on voice click on the "Join" button and in the ip-field type 212.19.195.26/EHAM_W_APP the password field has to be left empty.This way you RW will make contact to the RW of the controller and the other pilots curently on that channel.Also very handy is the servinfo program, when you click on a controller on-line you will see his ATIS information, below that will be a block with relevant RW info, when you set up servinfo alright (you gave the full path to RW in the options) you can click Join channel (or something like that) and voila! your RW is also autotuned.Quite a long message but I hope it clears up your question, if not just shout again :)Regards,http://home.wxs.nl/~visual/sig2.jpg

Guest GiZBUG

Thanks.So I have to do a lot of minimizing of FS2K2 (I run it full screen) in order to access the SB HOST box?

There seems to be a dll file with wich you can use SB from within FS2002, i'm not sure how it works exactly because I primarily fly with Precision Simulator 1.3A and sometimes with FS2002, but then with SB running on a second machine.The name of the file is hostsb.dll if i'm not mistaken and you can probably find it in the AVSIM file library or otherwise via a search on google.Good luck with it and lots of fun on-line,Regards,http://home.wxs.nl/~visual/sig2.jpg

Guest GiZBUG

I am using ServINFO nowand when I go under network servers, and copy the ip, and paste it under connect in the SB HOST, it says host isnt available from specified machine.Any clue why this it?I am trying to connect to 209.61.182.205 which is USA-S2

There are two places to fill in an IP. first you will have to give the IP for the multiplayer session. Here you will have to specify the machine on wich MSFS is running, if this is the same machine try filling in one of the following things: nothing(so just keep empty and look for games), 127.0.0.1 or localhost. This way the multiplayer session created by you in MSFS should show up, join it.There is also an IP to connect to the VATSIM servers, this at the panel when you click connect in the SB menu. You can choose one specified (VS = VATSIM, IVAN =IVAO Network) or enter your own, like the one specified above. It works good with me that way.Hope ot works now, otherwise just reply again :DBTW, I will try to be at the IRC server for a pretty long time today, you can find it at www.avsim.com/irc if you decide to join, type BV or BV_DutchVACC in the window (if im online) because then a beep will direct me to you :)Regards,http://home.planet.nl/~visual/sig2.jpg

Guest GiZBUG

Where is teh best place to get info on using VATSIM and discuss it?Their website's forum?Also, where is a good HOW TO info on it?

Gizbug,the actual use of squawkbox is pretty straightforward and the documentation that gets installed together with the program should cover most of your needs.As for "using VATSIM" I assume you mean the "code of conduct" on VATSIM - radio phraseology, when to say what and why etc. At www.vatsim.net you find some useful documents under "User Services/Getting started" in the menu list to the left.You can also find very good info from the home pages of the different regional vACCS. Go to eg http://vatsim-eur.org/vACCs.htm and from there start browsing the different home pages and their info/manuals directed to pilots. It is also very rewarding to read the controllers manuals since you then understand it from their point of view.I haven't browsed that many vACCS but here you find some good resources (and there are many others with equally good info):http://www.vatsim-uk.net/vatsim-uk/index.asp click on Pilot information to the left and then the links to the different documents in the list to the right.http://www.dutchvacc.com/ click on "training" and then the link "manual on flying". You here find som very useful info on the correct procedures and what to say in response to what etc.A good idea is also to once online and logged in to squawkbox, sit back and listen to/read the communication for a while. It gives you a good sense of what to expect, how intense the traffic is etc.I'm also new to online flying but it's such a thrill knowing that there is actually someone watching what you are doing! Mind you that most controllers are able to adjust to how experienced you are as long as you state it (eg in the flightplan or with a private message in squawkbox). In case you don't want to start off with voice and a headset straight ahead, using text is good to get you comfortable. Personally I'm jsut about to overcome my mic freight :)Sorry for the longish answer!Regards,KristerSAS125

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------