Sign in to follow this  
Guest KD Larsen

A BIG thanks to the Hellenic vACC

Guest KD Larsen

Ok, I only got to do a short flight from Rodes to Athens (LGAV), which I intended to continue, but got busy with other things (read: Midtown Madness & a Ferrari F50 :D).Anyway, the callsign was DK422/Viking 422 and the aircrat was a Premiair A330 of POSKY. I got the most awesome sight of the Greek islands, complete with hills covered by clouds, all died in a wonderful dark pink color by the clouds. That terrain mesh sure was awesome.The approach into Athens was a high-speed, first time I've tried that, doing 310 kts all the way until the turn to establish on the ILS, and then I did an (almost) simultanous approach. I was on approach to 03R with a OAV aircraft (didn't catch the callsign, was too busy trying to maintain on the G/S :-lol) on approach to 03L.I got a few stutters on 4-5 mile finals, mainly caused by the mesh, the LGAV freeware scenery (awesome, by the way) adjusting to night time lightning, the large amount of aircrafts at the tarmac and my crappy computer :-).And, I have to admit, the ground controller was having the most busy time of his life. The 'break, break' command was in constant action with aircrafts recieving flight clearance, taxi clearance, shutdown notices, handovers etc. etc.All in all, I had a great time of my life, with some of the best ATC I've heard in a long time. Even though the airspace was heavy with traffic, there was still time enough to repeat instructions.All in all, now I'm looking forward to my next true Baptism of Fire: System Overload at EGLL on the 28th. Can't wait!