Sign in to follow this  
Guest rlefebvr

Weather in vatsim. real or not.

Guest rlefebvr

Actually I have 2 questions.1. Is there real weather with SB and do I have to do anything to enable it.2. When using SB, do I download real weather when setting up FS2002 or is it a waste of time or again does SB use the weather I just downloaded.RonCVA1701Thanks

Guest KD Larsen

As far as I can remember, from previous topics about this, SB adds a slightly outdated version of the real weather to FS. And this is done automatically, so you don't have to do anything to enable it. Otherwise, it would be a Controllers hell with some aircrafts in zero wind conditions and others in stiff crosswind (for example). :-)

Hi Ron,KD Larsen already explained most. I think the service wich VATSIM is getting its data from is NOAA (not quite sure though). Over there they dont really like it when VATSIM would poll their servers constantly for the real up to date weather. As far as I know VATSIM is usually on hour behind at least to ease the traffic to and from the NOAA servers. For your information: IVAO is checking real life weather from NOAA without delay, and I believe they are not too happy with that.As far as SB is concerned: yes it does automatically update your weather. If you doubt that the weather is not correct there is always an option in SB that gives you the possibility to tell SB that it should refesh its weather at that time.Just to complete Larsens story with what i think to know :-lolRegards,http://home.wxs.nl/~visual/sig2.jpg

From memory the weather is an hour old, and is updated pretty much hourly...Close enough for me... Also means if you spot some really neat conditions in the real world you have a few minutes to get things ready to try it online! :-)John

Guest MB327

Yes, FSMeteo http://www.fsmeteo.com/I held off on buying it far too long.-Simple to use-Up to date real world conditions-Offers flexibility and control of parameters above FSUIPCThe only issue is the one stated in another post in this thread. You may have a discrepancy with the weather the VATSIM controller sees. Always put "FSMeteo" in the comments section of the flight plan. You must also "check" (Ignore Real World Weather) under Squawkbox's "Options" menu.

What? who here flies on IVAO?

>The only issue is the one stated in another post in this >thread. You may have a discrepancy with the weather the >VATSIM controller sees. Always put "FSMeteo" in the >comments section of the flight plan. You must also "check" >(Ignore Real World Weather) under Squawkbox's "Options" >menu. But you can choose Use VATSIM weatherThe quality of weather analysis is the same. The METAR source changes only.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gif

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

I choose "use VATSIM weather" option but its totally different from SB's METAR. So I prepared myself for RWY 18 but ATC vectored me for 36. "The METAR sources changes only" but what if FSMeteo updates in every 10 min. and SB in every hour?????????

Wait a sec, would VATSIM be able to offer real time weather if there was a "weather server" on the network that requested the METAR's from NOAA?? It would then propagate the info to the VATSIM servers which in turn give it to SB? This would eliminate a whole host of redundant traffic load on the NOAA server...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

HiVATSIM doesn't D/L all metars from NOAA there are other places. Take LPMA metar for example it is fetched from another location and has a special treatment to make it compatible with VATSIM net.I'm a user of FSMETEO and with VATSIM option I never got any problems. Of course aloft are different but with the quality of our controllers that is not important :) . I think that the option of VATSIM weather doesn't fetch the metars from the network but rather from a support server (same happens with FSacars and Servinfo), some glitches could happen that impose diferent metars but they are temporary problems.Of course that even with same metars the weather could be diferent for two users.FSUIPC versions and options;Fsmeteo metar parsing mechanism;FSW clouds;Etc;Can impose different visibility between them. Is that very important? I don't think so. Think about that the pilots can change the time of the day or season which impose bigger differences between them, how about a VFR at 1 AM. :) Jos