Sign in to follow this  

Are all VATSIM servers linked.

Hi allIf I log into the UK VATSIM server which happens to be my local one. Am I interacting with everybody on all the other VATSIM servers or just on the UK server.Also, I notice that the system is often down so that I cannot view details on Wazzup & ServerInfo. This was noted in a previous post and suggested that it was made a subscription sevice. Would it not be a better idea for VATSIM to take donations and have some kind of progress meter to show us all how much more they need to raise to upgrade there server and web connection.Martyn Carr

Guest ilh

Yes, they are all linked.Wazzup/ServInfo not working seems to be independent of VATSIM not working. Wazzup/ServInfo were not working for me last evening, but I had traffic and ATC in the KBOS area last night.Having said that, when Wazzup/ServInfo are not working, it is very difficult to find out where the action is, and I wonder if this tends to keep some folks from connecting because they think the whole system is down.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Martyn:As Lee states above, all servers available in VATSIM are linked, hence the term "network". You can see everyone in your range and everyone can see you.With regards to Whazzup and ServInfo, we have been receiving a lot of questions and, quite frankly, complaints when those two programs don't update. Let me be clear, ServInfo and Whazzup are tremendous add-ons. I personally use them nearly everyday. But they are just that ......add-ons. Even though many people think otherwise, they are not run or owned by VATSIM. In addition, they really aren't necessary to be able to log-on to our network to fly or control. When they go down, we do help to get them back up and running as soon as possible (since we are aware that many people use them) but our primary focus will always be on maintaining our network. After all, you can fly/control without Whazzup and ServInfo but you can't without the VATSIM network itself.Since VATSIM does not own or run ServInfo or Whazzup, we could never charge a subscription for the services. That would be up to the owners of the respective programs.Best Wishes.George S. MarinakisVP Operations (VATSIM6/VATGOV2)VATSIM Board of Governors

Guest ielchitz

Servinfo and Whazza have certainly become HUGE add ons to our online flying network. I feel that when they have problems picking up the data showing who is online - the traffic suffers tremendously - the unfortunate part (for those of us in NA) is that (I think) since the person who supplies those applications with their network feed lives in Europe - when it goes down late afternoon/evening in North America - it is the middle of the night over there in Europe - and the traffic suffers horribly in North America.I think it is important that we keep on advertising that just because servinfo and whazzup are down - does NOT mean the network is down. You can certainly still log on, fly with others and get great ATC. I strongly believe that there are MANY MANY people who don't come online as a result of the misconception that if one is down - the other is as well.If you see servinfo is down - I suggest you try hooking up anyway - usually you will find ATC at the more heavily staffed ARTCC/FIR for example ZLA plug> is heavily staffed almost EVERY night - especially Fridays (when servinfo seems to lose it's data feed regularly).Now I am rambling... it's funny how much we depend on those 2 pieces of software - I can not imagine what we would do without them. I'm constantly amazed at the generosity of the people who write add ons like this, aircraft, panels, scenery, how to's, answer forum questions, teach others how to fly, teach others how to control, supply the servers we fly on, write the server code, write sb and pc, and spend their free time administering this whole show at the international, regional, Country/VACC, and ARTCC/FIR level. It's a pretty good model for an online community - regardless of what the critics say.Ok more coffee..Ian ElchitzZLA ARTCC

Well, I know it is asking to much and it is unrealistic to expect this but maybe VATSIM should make there own versions of Servinfo and Wazzup? I know SB 3.0 is probably at the forefront but thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Eric 

This last point is excellent - there already is a "poor mans servinfo" - the network status pages at vatsim.net and most vatsim region websites such as vatusa.org.You can often use these pages which are independent of the servinfo/wazzup feeds to find out where ATC 7 pilots are.Jim BartoshZLA ARTCC Asst. Chief

Guest Stamatis

" the unfortunate part (for those of us in NA) is that (I think) since the person who supplies those applications with their network feed lives in Europe"Indeed, both Whazzup and ServInfo authors live in Greece, and believe me there is nothing "unfortunate" about living in Greece :-)However, when these programs stop updating (notice I say "stop updating", not "stop working") it is not a problem of the program itself, but a problem of the server hook-up (connections), linking these programs with the sources of data.Thus, there is nothing these individuals can do to fix this problem, it can only be fixed by those who are responsible for the servers where the hook-up/connection occurs.RegardsStamatis

Just a few points here:George, you said:"Since VATSIM does not own or run ServInfo or Whazzup, we could never charge a subscription for the services. That would be up to the owners of the respective programs"This is something than CANNOT be done. ServInfo is existing only because the VATSIM/IVAO organizations and the SquawkBox, ProController, FSD and FSUIPC software exist. Since all these are provided free, charging even a cent for ServInfo would be probably illegal (making money out of other's freeware work) and certainly unethical.Ian, your point about stressing that no ServInfo/Whazzup data does NOT mean that the network is down is very important. You can't assume that the average VATSIM user knows how the system works. In the next ServInfo release I'll have that stated with red bold on the outdated data warning messages. Still, in these cases, you could get an idea on who is online (except of course ZLA and LGGG which are always online ;-)) by allowing ServInfo to display the outdated data and through the voice servers page check the RW channel details.Jim, the network status pages and vatsim.net and other sites, all get their data from the SAME SOURCE. As Stamatis mentioned ServInfo and Whazzup have no control over the data. The data feed is kindly provided and maintained by VATSIM for these and other applications (ATC display applet, various websites etc.) and I must say that Roberto often "went out of his way", just to provide some extra functionality for these applications. But obviously, when there are problems on the network the first concern is to have the network up and running smoothly, and then, when everything is in it's place the data feed is taken care of. So what Eric suggests about a VATSIM version would not solve any problems. What could be useful though would be to establish a different, independent source of data. In the old days of SATCO the "who-is-online" page actually used a different source (not a very reliable though, as you might remember). But again this is matter of VATSIM network people to decide considering other priorities, available time etc.Michael Frantzeskakis

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest ielchitz

[snip]>and believe me there is nothing "unfortunate" >about living in Greece :-) [snip]>Regards >Stamatis If you are ever interested in spending some time in the Canadian Rockies I will gladly swap my place in Calgary for yours in Greece - especially in the middle of winter. 3 BR condo in the heart of the city with every ammenity you could imagine, fully set up for both controlling and flying online, underground parking - close to schools, shopping, public transportation, and a short 40 minute drive throught the majestic bow valley to the gates of Banff National Park.If you get homesick there are 2 excellent Greek restaurants a stones throw away - and there are 5 framed documents in my office with a bunch of greek words on them .I'll consider your best offer - availability is limited - act now!:-beerchugIan.

Guest Stamatis

" I will gladly swap my place in Calgary for yours in Greece - especially in the middle of winter."Emm... Ahhhh... Well... Actually thank you very much but I'd rather stay in Greece :-) You're welcome to visit though!Stamatis

>" I will gladly swap my place in Calgary for yours in >Greece - especially in the middle of winter." >>Emm... Ahhhh... Well... Actually thank you very much but I'd >rather stay in Greece :-) You're welcome to visit though! >>Stamatis Same here ! :( Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gif

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440