Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Question

I want to apologize if this has been covered already. I am wondering once you file your flight plan and everything is set up with FS2002 does the squakbox automatically hook you up to the controller (if available) working the area you are flying in or do you have to hunt around for the controller?Thanks

Guest rcritz

You have to look in SquawkBox's ATC Directory (accessed by right-clicking in the SB window to get its menu and selecting "ATC Directory" from there). Doubleclick (note: NOT single-click and select OK) the correct controller and you're all tuned.The next generation of squawkbox will be more like what you're accustomed to: tune COM1 to the correct frequency and you're all set.A post script on the correct controller. I know from elsewhere on this forum system you fly the A320 family so you're better set than most folks for selecting. In the real world, of course, Class B and C space doesn't ever close down. On here, however, pretend that they are uncontrolled airports if the facility isn't open and look for the next "highest" controller, e.g. a center).

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured out how to talk, if you will to controllers. What I am wondering is, if I am logged to a UK server will it still bring up controllers for a flight in North America? Is the software smart enough to see my flight plan and give me those centers in th eflight plan area or do I have to log in to a differnt IP server to get these controllers. If I need another IP address where can I find these?ThanksJon

Guest ielchitz

JON,The servers are all connected - you should hook up to the server that gives you the best ping time - and the network takes care of the rest. It's totally seemless from both the controller's and the pilot's perspectives.Good luck and welcome to Vatsim.If you ever have trouble or questions - this is a good place to as for help - there is no such thing as a stupid question. We have all been there at the "start line" before and it was others who came before us that helped us on our way.. that's what makes this community so great.Looking forward to seeing you online,Ian Elchitz.

If I understand this right, when I bring up the ATC window it will show which ATC facilites world wide are active regardless of which server you logged in? So if I looking for a certain center if will be listed if active if not it wont be?Thanks

That's correct, if you're within range of a controller, regardless of which VATSIM server you're connected to, you'll see the active controllers in your vicinity.By the way - the best way to determine which server you should be connecting to is to download a copy of ServInfo from http://avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/ - this is an indespensible tool for the online pilot or controller! Once you get it installed, press the VATSIM button to load current server and user info and then click the Network Servers tab - find the ping times to all the servers on this screen and pick the one with the lowest average time.RyanZAB ARTCC

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for the help. I downloaded servinfo.CheersJon