Sign in to follow this  

Idea to incorporate Weather Radar into the VATSIM world

Many of you have probably seem FSFlightMax. In fact, there's a news article on AVSIM's front page right now (scroll down a bit). Anyway, to those who don't know, it has weather radar that actually works with the weather in FS2K2.Some of you probably know about FSMeteo. This is a GREAT weather program that uses METARs similar to the VATSIM weather. However, FSMeteo has winds aloft and some other nice features.FSFlightMax can actually work with weather downloaded for FSMeteo. And rumor has it, the next version of FSMeteo (v6.0, due anyday) will allow FSFlightMax to work with FSMeteo when ONLINE, like when flying on VATSIM. So, for those of us lucky enough to have both these software programs, we will be able to actually see areas of rain and deviate when on VATSIM!However, wouldn't it be incredible if there were someway to incorporate the WX Radar feature into ASRC, have the VATSIM Wx based on FSMeteo, and then the pilots use FSFlightMax (if they wanted)?We could have diversions around storms, airport closures, pilots actually requesting differents flightlevels due to favotable winds.Unfortunately, FSMeteo and FSFlightMax are both payware, so this really isn't feasible.BUT, wouldn't it be awesome?James

Everything you said is true. When the new version of FSMeteo comes out, you'll have to set it up FSMeteo to use VATSIM weather inorder to have the same weather the controllers are using, which is usually several hours old. I fly with FSMeteo all the time while using the current weather (FSMeteo Server). I can't wait also. I have FSFlightMax running on my second computer now using the new remote software.

HiI don't understand one thing: I have FSMETEO and I do have a VATSIM option.As far I understand even for the same metar the weather conditions could not be the same using SB and FSMETEO.Jos

Not sure what your trying to say, but FSMeteo gets it's weather from a different server then VATSIM. FSMeteo just lets you choose depending on where you are flying, be it on VATSIM or on your own. I use the VATSIM weather when I fly online in a controlled ATC airspace. This way I have the same weather as the controller and other pilots. There's been times were I landed in real bad weather and the controller was showing sunny skies.

Guest Mikey

Not sure if you've checked the METARS lately, but they're pretty on time now.. the network gurus fixed the WX system, and I'm routinely seeing 0455 metars at 0510.. :)Mike

HiFSMeteo 5.1 has an option in the online Weather services that get's the metar from the VATSIM servers instead of the private one. At least it's what I understand since clicking this option and asking the metars they are the same. Try with the metar for LPMA and compare. OFFline, click both options (FSMETEO and VATSIM) and ask the same station from VATSIM using servinfo.Jos

Yeah, I actually use the FSMeteo METARs while on VATSIM, and recently I've found that 90% of the time they're the same METAR report.... (except for last Monday, when I landed at KATL on 27L with a 19 kt quartering tailwind.... yikes!! I about wrecked!!)I use the FSMeteo METARs because I was having trouble with the VATSIM METARs... but maybe that's corrected now, based on the comments above.James

Jose:I think I understand what you're saying: just because all pilots and controllers have the exact same METAR, does not mean that areas of weather (like rain and positions of thunderstorms) are going to be the same for everyone (i.e.- there's a random factor).If that's what you're saying, I had thought about that, and I don't know the answer. In fact, that might be the show stopper for this entire idea. We're going to have to wait and see how it actually works.James

HiAs far I understand if the metar parsing algorithms aren't the same the weather is different, could be simillar. But this is isn't the only factor, there are others like:FSUIPC. Diferent versions and switchs;When I'm controlling I really don't know what is the real weather that the pilot see. I usually control in an airfield with one ILS and one VOR/DME app. If the visibility is close to VOR/DME minimuns I switch to the other RWY, just in case;The minimuns that I use aren't stricly the real ones, just in case;And more important, who is responsible for the plane is not me is the pilot so the weather is really important for him not for me. He is the one that must call a missed approach :)Of course this is my limited point of view. But I don't see this FSMETEO versus SB factor as a show stopper.Jos