Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle

Does VATSIM need controllers?

Guest Eagle

It is extremely difficult to obtain a password to the VATUSA network. Or am I the only one having that problem? VATUSA is the only place where a person can take the controller exams and if you cannot get a password you are not allowed in.E-mail to VATUSA and VATSIM personnel for help in obtaining a password remains unanswered.I enjoy VATSIM and also enjoy flying on-line. Perhaps they do not need any more controllers. There was an article on changing the control system. If controllers are not needed at this time could they post a notice to that effect on the home page.If someone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne, and anyone else having trouble,This is a little confusing, but I can assure you that it is not too difficult to sign up as a new controller in VATUSA. I have been processing about 1 new student every week.Unfortunetly, the web site is a little "password" happy, and there are 3 "passwords" that might come into play:a) Your VATSIM ID and password (the one you use to connect to SB):( a VATUSA user id (same as VATSIM ID) and password. Used only for a few functions on the vatusa site.c) an "ARTCC" password only used once to select and ARTCC. (see below).You probably do not need any password from VATUSA to start your controller training. Lets go through this step by step:1) To be a controller, you must become a member of an ATC Division, for the US, Your region will be North America, and division USA. This is done on www.vatsim.net then go to "User services", "ID maintenance", then "Select a Division in a Region". On this screen you will need to put in your VATSIM ID and password (the one you use for connecting squawkbox). This is most commonly missed step, because it happens before VATUSA evens knows about you.2) Once you do this, VATUSA will automatically send you an email with the VATUSA web site password. It will go to the email address you have on file on the VATSIM web site, so if thats no longer in use, or you are not checking it, you wont find that password. You can use the email address function on VATSIM Id maintenance to set your email address.3) If you lost that password, but you have selected USA as your division, you can go to the "lost password" function on the VATUSA web site to get a new VATUSA web site password.4) Now, you can select which ARTCC within VATUSA you want to choose as your "home" for training. Do this by selecting "New Members click here." You must do "step 3" and go to the ARTCC Evaluation Website, which will give you some info on the different ARTCCs ("centers") and you can choose one. This page will give you an "ARTCC" password, soley used this one time for this purpose, you don't need this password after this screen.5) Now you have just become a member of a VATUSA ARTCC with the rank of "pilot/boserver". The chief of that ARTCC will get an automatic email telling him that you joined. He will get in touch with you with specific instructions.6) You can then study for, and should take the Basic ATC quiz on the vatusa.org training site. If you go to the "online testing" page, you will have been automatically registered for this test when you signed up with VATUSA. Use your VATUSA ID & password (I think ! if not, its the VATSIM one!) to gain access to the test. When you pass the test, you will get an automatic promotion to Student-1. You will not be able to log onto a live positions on Pro-Controller until this promotion to Student-1.7) All other tests are setup up by the training staff of your ARTCC, when thye evaluate you as ready for promotion. These are different from quizzes, which you can take at your one pace, but do not effect your promotion status.I hope this helps all with confusion on this process. If anybody sees anything wrong with this info, post a correction below.Jim BartoshZOA ARTCC Chief

Guest Eagle

Hi Jim - Thanks for the quick response.>>You probably do not need any password from VATUSA to start >your controller training. Lets go through this step by step: >That is correct as I listened to the tapes, downloaded the document, but can't take the test without a password.>1) To be a controller, you must become a member of an ATC >Division, for the US, Your region will be North America, and >division USA. This is done on www.vatsim.net then go to >"User services", "ID maintenance", then "Select a Division >in a Region". On this screen you will need to put in your >VATSIM ID and password (the one you use for connecting >squawkbox). This is most commonly missed step, because it >happens before VATUSA evens knows about you. >I obtained membership to VATSIM in 2000 and obtained an ID and password that does not work on VATUSA. I did go through step 1 again and received another ID for VATSIM, but no password for VATUSA. I now have two ID's 827597 and 849254.A person can't take the tests at VATUSA without a password and that is all I am trying to obtain.Even if I don't become a controller I would like to take the tests as they are a great source of information. Perhaps you should require all pilots to take the tests. Now that suggestion should start a healthy discussion!!!!Thanks Jim for taking the time to respond.All those who have not visited VATUSA should do so. It is a great site and full of useful information.

>Even if I don't become a controller I would like to take the >tests as they are a great source of information. Perhaps you >should require all pilots to take the tests. Now that >suggestion should start a healthy discussion!!!! >Wayne,yes - the topic of 'pilot ratings' has often been discussed and never fails to generate alot of opinions.VATSIM actually has a vice-president level position, currently held by Richard Critz, VP of Pilot Training, who is charged with developing a specific pilot training program. Since this is a large scale effort, it will take some time.Jim B.