Sign in to follow this  

Is flying online any fun?

Is it easy to set up and fly online with ATC using Roger Wilco?I've thought about it for a couple of years, but have never tried. I have a couple of questions?1. Do I use Vatsim servers to fly online.2. Do I have to be part of a virtual airline?3. Do I have to use squakbox? Does it support voice.4. Can I still use my Eddie Denny terrain mesh(U.S.)?I fly flight plans at home using a 737 at home. I have the 3d glasses, vibrating chair, ir tracker, 4 monitors, Radar contact etc., but I want it more real. I was thinking real atc online, but I'm not sure what all is involved.

1) Yes2) No3) Yes/Yes (with Rooger Wilco)4) YesForget your 3D settings when flying on line, your frame rates wil drop to slide show. Or at least give it a go if you want but I am sure you will have to come out of 3D.Check on the main VATSIM web site and down load SB and all the manuals & RW.Be prepared to do some learning first though, your work load will increase and remember there is no pause option when flying with VATSIM :-)Best fun yo can have with your clothes on :-lol :-lol

Guest Eagle

>>Best fun yo can have with your clothes on I have done it in my underwear and it is fun (flying on-line that is)!!Go for it, the learning process is not that difficult. If you make a mistake it doesn't matter, you can start over.

I don't know. I spent a lot of money to be able to be able to have decent framerates. I'm not sure that that's worth giving up to fly online. Youd thing with Dsl, cable modems, and t-, t3 lines, we'd be done with this stupuid online choppyness.

OUCH! I butchered that response with typos.

Brannons,if you want to fly with a more real "feel", this is the only way to go, in my opinion.I, like many of the VATSIM community, have a real world pilots license, and it is astounding, how close to the real world you can make the experience, especially when operating under really top-notch controllers. However, VATSIM is pretty tolerant of the learning process, so you can jump on and get going and will be walked through new stuff. The best way to get into it, is to listen to the interaction between other pilots and ATC for abit.To do IFR flying, spend some time getting to know the web resources and how to get and read instrument charts (SIDs, STARs, and IAPs). This is tackled in a regional manner, in that you will find web sites from the main vatsim web site for every region, country and Center/FIR that usually have "pilot resources" pages.As per the frame rates - the frame rates can get a little jumpy on the ground near other aircraft at a highly busy airport (5 or more a/c in very close proximity), but in general when airborne, they are just fine. And this of course has alot to do with your machine. I have whats getting to be an old P-III 500mhz, and rarely have had poor frame rates near multiplayer a/c.The most difficult aspect, be prepared to dedicate a solid hour or two (or even more) getting all the software configured and getting a 'routine' to get setup. You will benefit yourself by making a simple checklist of the various things that need to be set and started. After ahwile, a repeat user can get connected and all his bells and whistles running in abt 5-10 minutes, but the first 3-4 times it can seem pretty overwhelming.Good luck.Jim B.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Don't worry about frame rates and stuff... If you properly set up the CSL models that come with Squawbox, you will have no problem. The frame rate drop is only 2-3 fps if there is too much traffic... However, avoid highly detailed airports known as frame killers (i.e. LAX).BE WARNED... Flying online with real people ATC and real pilots flying along with you is VERY addictive! Once you try it you won't be able to do without it! Say 'bye bye' to your offline flying.Consider yourself warned! :-) :-) :-) :-)George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Ok. I got everyhting set up, but didn't actually fly. I was all connected, and listening to ATC. I was a little dissapointed with the amount of atc. there were only like 12 controllers on vatsim. Are there certain times in the day that are better to fly than others? (As far as the availability of atc is concearned"I'm also a little confused as to what I'm suppose to do if there is no ATC at my current airport. Last night, I got all ready, and by the time it was a go, the controller left.(Dissconected).

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

First, I suggest to download the excellent ServInfo utility (if you don't already have it).It gives you all the details you'll ever want to know about who's online, at which part of the world, for how long, how many flights in each area, the communications frequencies and the list goes on...You can download it here in avsim at http://www.avsim.com/hangar/servinfo/There are times when more controllers and/or traffic are online. Check ServInfo in a regular basis and you will conclude which times your areas of interest are manned.As for what to do when no controller online, check the tutorials and rules in VATSIM. Basically you fly as normal keeping an eye for other traffic and coordinate with the other pilots in the area.You don't mention where you are interested to fly so I can't tell you usual online times. As a general rule each area in the world is usually covered during the late afternoon and night Local Time of each area. For example Europe is active mostly between 1800-2300UTC.Regards,George DorkofikisAthens, Greece