Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Finally - a solution to the "no chat screen" problem in

I have been able to successfully install Squarkbox and connect to the Vatsim network -- but could not get the chat box to come up in my FS2002 screen. The only way I could access the box to talk to ATC was to minimize FS2002 each time.But I have found a great "fix" in the form of a dll file that you put into the modules folder that allows you to run a Squarkbox host programme from within FS2002 itself . You do not run the Squarkbox host which comes with the standard Squarkbox download.Voila!!!! :)BarryPS How come I only found this in some "obscure" South African website - no mention of it anywhere else in the main Vatsim websites

Guest ielchitz

Barry,Looks like you forgot to mention the name of the file or supply a link for the download.Barry is referencing the HOSTSB.DLL file by King Ingersoll which was actually released back in January 2002.You can find this file by searching the AVSIM File library for "HOSTSB".Enjoy!Ian Elchitz

Guest FS_freak

Hi Ian,I downloaded Hostsb.dll and tried it out. To tell you the truth I don't see any need for having the SB host and main program directly in your FS2002 screen. More often than not it will interfere with your panel and/or your outside views. Also you cannot drag the TCAS or the flight planner out of the host so resizing and relocating are out of the question. The last version of SB allows for a chat screen to pop up on your full screen FS2k2 view by selecting "enter" and it will show all incoming and outgoing messages just as they appear on the SB main program. Now if someone could find a way to keep the chat window from going back to the first few messages every time a new message comes in... :-hah

>Hi Ian, >>I downloaded Hostsb.dll and tried it out. To tell you the >truth I don't see any need for having the SB host and main >program directly in your FS2002 screen. More often than not >it will interfere with your panel and/or your outside views. >Also you cannot drag the TCAS or the flight planner out of >the host so resizing and relocating are out of the question. >The last version of SB allows for a chat screen to pop up on >your full screen FS2k2 view by selecting "enter" and it will >show all incoming and outgoing messages just as they appear >on the SB main program. Now if someone could find a way to >keep the chat window from going back to the first few >messages every time a new message comes in... :-hah In a way, I agree with you -- but I have downloaded what is "supposed " to be version 2.3.5 of Squarkbox 3 times now and CANNOT get the chatbox to appear by pressing "enter"!! :(Barry

Guest ielchitz

I personally do not like the HOSTSB.dll file, I find it slows things down. It really is a matter of personal preference, I would urge people to try out the .dll and see which method they prefer.> Now if someone could find a way to keep the chat window from going back to the first few messages every time a new message comes inSearch the AVSIM Library for "fschatscroll16.zip"Ian Elchitz

Guest FS_freak

Barry,Sorry for the dumb question but.. Are you using the latest version of FSUIPC? If so try to reinstall it deleting the FSUIPC.ini file along with the FSUIPC.dll from your FS2002/modules folder. Then you must copy the latest FSUIPC.dll into your modules folder and after that reinstall SB. Hope this helps.Mauricio

>I personally do not like the HOSTSB.dll file, I find it >slows things down. It really is a matter of personal >preference, I would urge people to try out the .dll and see >which method they prefer. Can you describe what you mean by this -- over the past few days , I have installed Squarkbox, Hostsb.dll and Roger Wilco. Yesterday I "thought" I noticed that FS2002 was slower than usual - not framerates, but just loading up - especially when I select different aircraft.I also discovered that when you install Squarkbox , it installs an old copy of FSUIPC- so you have to remove the FSUIPC .INI file and reinstall the latest FSUIPC. Unfortunately , as far as I can see, the Squarkbox installation instructions do not mention this fact.Barry

Guest ielchitz

Barry,When using the .dll everything in my panel seems to happen slower. Switching to the "window" where the SB module is stored stutters my aircraft as well. And for typing to and from ATC and other pilots this happens quite often.I have spent a LOT of time online flying, and I have never had a problem using the chat box with chatscroll. Just find a good place to stick the chatbox, size it well, scroll to the bottom and then start your fschatscroll app.Sometimes it goes out of whack still, so all I do is close fschatscroll, scroll to the bottom in the chat window, and then start the fschatscroll app again.I also find it convenient to close the chatwindow when I need all of the screen real estate (downwind on visual and I need to be able to look out the window and see it). If you have fschatscroll running, you can easily bring the chat box back up by hitting the enter key.To those who whine "what about TCAS and FMS?" - I say BAH HUMBUG.If you want an FMS, go out and purchase one of the many wonderful add ons out there that have FMS, or learn to fly using your radios (it works and it is fun!!).TCAS? That's what ATC is for .Enjoy and see you in the skies soon,Ian Elchitz CYWG