Sign in to follow this  
Guest lamont

Positions & Voice Ratings

Guest lamont

Perhaps this subject was addressed before but I couldn't find any references so here goes.It seems to me that Vatsim should seriously review their policy regarding when to qualify a controller for voice and at what position. It is very annoying, if not downright impossible, to be on final with approach on voice to be handed off to tower on text especially if you are manually flying the approach.It seems to me that all positions with the exception of ground and delivery should be voice rated first. Just my humble opinion.

I humbly agree.You would need a copilot to handle that voice-to-text changeover on final.Don

The rule is Aviate, Navigate, communicate ( note that is LAST )You know flying into an area if a controller is text only - if he/she comes on AFTER you do you have two options 1. fly there and learn to type faster - all it takes is an abirivate readback - copy winds clr to land etc2. DivertRichard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Guest lamont

Mr. Green,Thank you for your reply but I don't think it is on point. I am a seasoned virtual pilot with many hours on Vatsim and very well aware of "aviate, navigate, communicate" protocol.However, when flying some of the more sophisticated aircraft (PIC 767, PSS 747) it is sometimes not feasible or wise to stop aviating to reply or check-in with a text controller (especially tower on final).In addition my typing skills are top notch (80 wpm). So that is not as issue. Diversion doesn't solve the intitial problem and really is not even practical. I do not see why controllers cannot be voice rated prior to assuming tower, approach or center duties. Or at the very minimum have text controllers aknowledge radar contact and issue any pertinent instructions and wait for a response.Perhaps I'm missing something here so please if I am please enlighten me.

Guest rcritz

>Perhaps I'm missing something here so please if I am please >enlighten me. Hi. What you're missing is section 3.05(:((4) of the Code of Regulations which requires the provision of text ATC services and expressly prohibits any policy that favors voice ATC. This also means that a voice rating cannot be a prerequisite for ANY ATC position. We have plenty of members who, for whatever reason, are unable to work voice and will never permit any rule that excludes them from working in any facet of VATSIM's online community.cz

Guest lamont

Thank you Mr. Critz for your point of reference. In the context of your reply I agree that no one should be prohibited from particpating in our community. I came to realize that requiring voice may preclude a person with a handicap such as deafness from enjoying our hobby.Therefore I stand enlighten. Thanks for your reply.