Sign in to follow this  
Dean_EGTC

Please please please

Can we have some sort of mandatory rule on the setup and use of microphones with RW.More & more frequently I'm finding myself either deafened, or at the other extreme, struggling to hear the faintest whisper. And I've got to say it isn't just confined to pilots. The biggest mistake people make (when they can't hear themselves on their own PC) is to turn the mic input level up instead of the mic volume. So consequently all we hear is very loud, very distorted, and mostly indicipherable chatter. Have they even discovered the 'Adjust' tab in RW ? C'mon people, it really isn't that difficult to attain a pleasing volume for all.It would be nice if the first contact with any Controller had to be -'Callsign, radio check please'Forgive my venting, but for me this is the only thing that spoils what otherwise, is the best way of enjoying the FS experience.Does it not annoy anyone else ? ;)

Well, it is not a rule but a very good suggestion that I read that make sure that everything is configured correctly so that the volume is just right. Most of the times anyways if you are controlling you will get a million and one private messages saying that the volume NEEDS to be adjusted or if you are flying, either the controller or fellow pilots will tell you that the volume needs to be adjusted. Sometimes all it takes is just the distance from the mic and mouth. If it is too garbled and loud, try to move the mic away from your mouth, but not too much. If it is too soft, slightly bring it to your mouth, but not too close. Cheers :-waveBen SuttonChicago ARTCC S3

I think connection quality figures into the equation as well. I'm on dial up (for now anyway) and sometimes when I'm talking to people on RW, one person will hear me perfectly fine while another person in the same conversation might not hear me at all. For some reason, no one at all could hear me on RW yesterday, even after adjusting settings and changing IP's. But I agree, it would be nice if there was a way to help balance everything better.KP

Look for the thread "Help with Roger Wilco - before I go insane!"Anyways whenever I'm controlling and I transmit something to an aircraft over voice and I don't get a response, I always send it via text and try voice again. Usually the pilot or I just has to leave the RW channel and rejoin it to get everything fixed. Good thing we have text since voice is screwy sometimes :)Jason

Hi;Jason had a good point that at the best of times voice canhave some problems, so I always insist the pilot keep histext frequency tuned for back up purposes.This is particularly useful if giving unfamiliar fixes topilots, or confirming numbers for pilots whos first languageis not English.Always best to remember text is a solid back up.BlayneM.

No, what is bad is when someone has the voice activated feature in use on RW. Everytime the breath they activate it!!

Eric 

Hi all,Yes it can be a problem some times!, when someone joins a freq and just takes 5 years of life from my ears with a scream "NY CENTER N517T WITH YOU @ 12,000!" Grrrrrr! I hate that I have to lower the volumen in my headset.People should check the mike settings inside RW BEFORE joining the servers, is very simple and it only takes 1 minute, when I hear someone too loud I'll send them a private text message pleading to lower the mic input, that works very well since most people are not aware that they are too loud, and that's my next point, 99.9% of the people that are too loud don't know it and will fix things really quick if asked/told about it, no bad faith here.Best of luck!