Sign in to follow this  
Guest HepburnUGA

What do you see?

Guest HepburnUGA

I have really found a joy in flying on the Vatsim network...unfortunately, I usually don't have time to. The few times that I have, I always seem to run into a problem. The other planes that I see around me always stutter or become stuck. In fact, I have actually crashed a few times because I thought the plane had already landed but then it landed again right on top of me!Basically, what I see is this...say for example I am holding short of runway xx with another aircraft on short final. I will see the plane fly past me and land...and then I will see the same thing again in relatively rapid succession about 5 more times.My question is this...what do you see? Is what I'm seeing normal? Is there a way to make this better? I understand the issues regarding server lag and such. As far as my end, I am on a DSL connection so I have great bandwidth.Thanks for any help or advice!Jeff

Yeah - lag-o-rama (the technical term for LAG) - causes this phenomenomomom (?).The simflight.vatsim newsgroup just addressed this - unfortunately the server seems to have "cleared" all previous messages.Gotta live with the LAG issues. Try connecting to different servers - or at least one close to where you live:152.104.96.225 ASIA-S200.223.140.250 BRAZIL-C137.56.42.18 EUROPE-C212.47.22.26 EUROPE-CE62.89.105.35 EUROPE-E212.205.81.22 EUROPE-SE195.23.79.201 EUROPE-W139.179.14.84 TURKEY212.19.195.26 UK64.246.28.98 USA-S1209.61.182.205 USA-S2208.224.174.24 USA-SEDSCVA3339

The SUPPORT FORUM for Level-D Simulations products: http://www.leveldsim.com/forums

LVLDF1.gif

Guest HepburnUGA

I appreciate the reply. I usually ping the servers using servinfo before I log on and get good return times....usually in the neighborhood of 50-55ms. I guess my main concern was that this was localized to me but evidently it's what everyone deals with, so I guess I will too!Thanks!Jeff

>I appreciate the reply. I usually ping the servers using >servinfo before I log on and get good return >times....usually in the neighborhood of 50-55ms. I guess my >main concern was that this was localized to me but evidently >it's what everyone deals with, so I guess I will too! >Yeah, this is how Squawkbox currently works, it "estimates" the speed and direction of the other planes and actual coordinates are transmitted only every few seconds as far as I understand - this creates the jumping thing, it is worse in landing and takeoff etc when the speed and direction of the planes changes a lot - the estimates are way off and thus the corrections become large, resulting in the jumps.The Long Awaited :) Squawkbox 3 should address this at least somewhat.But this is "normal" in the sense that everyone else sees this as well. So, my advice is, turn off "allow crash with other aircraft" and you will be a much happier online pilot. You are not needing it for real anyway since one does not really fly close to other planes in controlled airspace, and it prevents those goofs where the lag makes you kiss an airbus nose with a Cessna :-)Tuomas

Guest HepburnUGA

Sometimes the solutions are so simple they make you feel dumb :) Thanks for you help!Jeff

University of Georgia?Good school, where did you graduate from HS at?--Josh HjemvickNorthgate High School C/O 2002

Guest HepburnUGA

I graduated from Walton High school in 1996 :) I'm taking my time (although I graduate in May). Jeff