Sign in to follow this  

RW-VATSIM - What the heck is happening?????

Seems that you can not depend on RW anymore on Vatsim. I've never lost communications so many times with controlers as I have this past week. AutoAtis down, controlers with the "V" in their callsign with now voice, saying it's down.It's become a nightmare. Has Vatsim thought of going to "teamspeak" in lue of Roger Wilco, or is it just a Vatsim problem?thanks!

Hi LandoI've been seeing these posts quite frequently on different forums both in Europe and North America. And I've noticed the degradation myself.It might be a firewall issue. RW is using a peer-to-peer type of sending audio data in a channel. Using client computers with RW settings higher than "Slow modem" as "relay" stations thus unloading the RW base station. BUT if one client has the RW ports in stealth mode the audio packages will be lost. This means that the person with this stealthy firewall will not be aware of the problem but everybody else will experience loss of sound packages. Tough problem. As I understand SB3.0 will have in-built support for vox ATC. When it will be released is another issue though. ;-)Here's some links on RW and the problem:http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/support/rw/firewalls.htmlhttp://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~zzyzx/train...ger%20wilco.htmHope it helps...

Hummm...didn't understand that all, but sounds like if one user is running behind a firewall he may cause a loss of sound for everyone? Interesting because I just started running Norton Internet security with the firewall.Thanks for the info!

Set automatic rules for Roger Wilco and allow incoming UDP traffic into the port 3782. The it'll work.

no,yesterday eve that nightmare came to me. taking off from munich, everything was fine, eddm_v_app, edmm_v_ctr could understand me and I them. But next on the way edmm_v_ctr did not come to my< ears. No way, I restarted RW several times...Next and last on that trip eddf_v_app was fine again.My settinx? Yes, I am behind a firewall (another computer - linux) and yes, the port is redirected and yes there are times of RWing). But one more problem, I do not seem to hear everyone on that channel..What the heck is going on there?Stefan

Stefan et alJust to clarify myself on this issue. It seems like one badly configured firewall is bringing down the rest of the channel without the owner of the same firewall notices any difference. If this is the case (and it certainly looks like that) you can't do anything about loosing controllers or pilots yourself! The only thing to do is to make sure your firewall and RW settings are the ones suggested and hope nobody gets cut off by YOUR firewall!Hope it makes sense... :-)

Is there a possibility that your router (Linux) leaves the connection open even when there is no program answering at your computer? If yes, RW connections will not renew.