Sign in to follow this  

Using squawkbox / Roger Wilco on 2nd PC?

Hi,I just registered on VATSIM and I'm currently reading the tutorials to be up as soon as possible. I just have one question that I would like to be sure:Is it possible to install squawkbox on a second PC running WideClient (of course, the FS2002 PC has WideServer running) ?In addition, I also plan to install Roger Wilco on this second PC. This will let me have the FS2002 sound from FS2002 PC, and ATC sound in a headset from the second PC.Would you be aware of any limitation that I could encounter with such a setup?Thanks in advance, and see you in the virtual skies soon.Eric.

Hi EricAs you can see from the post below yours, we have the same ideal. FWIW, this is now exactly what I've done and it works. The only problem I've found, and I'm not sure why it's happening atm, is that, after I'd flown this way last night, the client PC refused to shut down properly. Host PC runs winXP Home, client runs win98SE. Someone out there may have the answer.This forum seems very quiet doesn't it? I've also been getting advice through the VATSIM-UK newsgroup which seems far more active than this forum. You may want to take a look: http://www.vatsim-uk.net/. There's a link at the bottom of the page underneath the VATSIM-Europe logo.Paul

Paul,I didn't know these newsgroups existed. Thanks for the link.Happy new year from south of France.Eric.

Nor did I until I started doing a lot of hunting around. Since its the Vatsim-UK newsgroup you may well not have noticed it if you're in France so I'm glad I was able to assist.Here's another very useful site I've found: http://www.hawarden.org.uk/Paul10 mls SE of EGLL

...it works perfectly well, although you lose the chimes of incoming messages. This is rectified by having the wideclient screen the active window, however.Oh, and one more thing and the BEST thing - you can assign a joystick button to activate RW. No more fumbling on the keyboard to talk to ATC. This is even more pertinent when using a second PC since you have to lean over to the second keyboard to transmit your message!Best wishes,Darren

OK, thanks for this info. Can I ask two more things?1) Which version of squawkbox should I use? I'm using FS2002, so from what I've read, I first understood I should use the latest version with SBHost specific for FS2002. But then, I read posts on the newsgroups from people saying that previous version for FS2000 (without SBHost) was much more stable and also working with FS2002. So now, I don't know. Can anyone tell me what exact version and file I should install?2) There seem to exist several versions of Roger Wilco, some freeware, some shareware/commercial (more recent?). Which is the required free version?Thanks.Eric.

Hi Eric et alI'll try to answer your questions.1.) If you're running SB on a 2nd PC it really doesn't matter what version of SB you are using. Either 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 works. Though I've seen 2.3.4 is recommended even if you run FS2002. WideFS takes care of the transition between the two. Regarding the SB Host issue you should stick with the original host application shipped with SB, that is if you're using SB on a 2nd PC of course.2.) RW. I run Mk.Id3 and it works fine for me. I haven't actually tried any other version. Maybe someone out there could enlighten us? Be sure to configure your firewall according to RW support pages though. There are a lot of trouble out there with that!Hope it helps

Answer to 2)I use an early freeware version of RW without a problem on my second PC, Mk.1c_mod1HTHAnd to Paul Croft,If you need help setting up a PTT button on your joystick give me a shout.

Hi Vulcan>And to Paul Croft, >>If you need help setting up a PTT button on your joystick >give me a shout. Thanks, I've solved it now. Pete Dowson continues to be my fs hero.Paul

1) OK, I'll try with SB 2.3.4 over WideClient 5.3 (latest) on the second PC.2) Is Mk.Id3 freeware or shareware? I'm still confused about the different versions. On www.gamespy.com (which seems to be the home of Roger Wilco), they talk about a $19.95 annual fee to register Roger Wilco. But, on the same page, they offer a link to download the 'registered version'. This 'registered version' seems to be the same that is found and advertised as having a free licence on [http://download.com.com/3000-2121-10024393.html] for example. What I have is a 847 KB file named "rw_mk1d3.EXE". Is that the right and free one?I read that d3 fixed a few bugs under WinXP. As I use XP,I'd prefer to use this version if it's free.Thanks.Eric.

>If you need help setting up a PTT button on your joystick >give me a shout. I would also be interested by this. Do you mean I can set a button on the joystick connected to the FS2002 PC, to act as a PTT for roger wilco on the second PC? I guess this would involve some settings in FSUIPC but how exactly would I do that?Thanks.Eric.

>Do you mean I can set a button on the joystick connected to theFS2002 PC, to act as a PTT for roger wilco on the second PC?Yep that is very much doable...Be sure that your prefered button is NOT assigned in FS and follow the following thread. (BTW. That is an excellent forum and VA ;-))http://www.scandva.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcb...orum=DCForumID1The section on two PCs are approx at the middle starting with reply no 1.If you have any further questions I'll be glad to fill in what's missing!Regards