Sign in to follow this  

Another ATIS Question

As you can tell bye know that I am new to this. I did my first flight the other night I asked for the ATIS the controller typed the ATIS for that airport, it looked something like this "KDFW 152056Z 12011KT 2 1/2SM BR OVC006 06/06 A3017 RMK AO2 SLP216 T00610056 56043" I just got this from the vatsim web site than the link to north america than to the ARTCC website it had the current ATIS At KDFW. Now my question how do I figure what all that means wind, runways in use. ALT setting ECT. I alt setting would be 3017 anyway could someone tell where do I find out that info? Thanks GKJR

Guest TheJones

Hi,Lots of info is avail on ATIS. I guess the easiest way would be to download Serveinfo 2.0 (amazing work BTW!), it has good METAR decoding feature + info on METAR codes. (the weather info is actually METAR code - ATIS is the aiport info including runways in use and other info).You may also search the web for info - sure you will find lots of it.Just to complete the answer, here is the decoding for the METAR u supplied above:KDFW info of 15(th day of the month) 2056 UTC, wind is 120 at 11 knots, visibility is 2.5 statute miles (=1.6 KM), moderate mist, full coverage of clouds at 600', temperature 6 dew point 6, QNH 3017 inches mercury, remark section contains info about reporting station, sea level pressure, and hourly averages.Ilan