Sign in to follow this  

Strange message boxes

Something strange started happening to me 3 days ago. After connecting to Vatsim through SquawkBox, a box popped up on the FS window, telling me to contact Orlando Lottery mentioning the number on the text, etc, etc. At first I didn

I've never heard of that one, but here's a couple things I would do. First, if you aren't using one already, get a firewall program like ZoneAlarm. Second, go get Ad-Aware (www.lavasoftusa.com) and let it run a complete system scan. Finally, make sure you have an up to date antivirus and keep it up to date.Good luck,KP

Hi Ken,Thanks for replying. I will accept the Ad-Aware scan suggestion. The antivirus I already have a good one, automatically updated. About the firewall, my antivirus also has one, but it is always off, because I really don

Hi HeronAbout your firewall issue,I can highly recommend ZoneAlarm as a basic freeware firewall. It's easy to configure and gives you a somewhat decent protection. You shouldn't have any trouble getting connected with that one. Can be found on www.zonelabs.comHope it helps

Guest GrahamB

Another thing to try.Go to Start -settings - control panel - administrative tools - then click on Services.From that list select "Messenger" right click and select properites. Five lines down is startup type. Select Disabled and then OK.Graham

Guest Matt Johnson

This is the problem... SMB message spamming, not any adware or anything like that.--M

Good call, forgot about the messenger spamming, but I'll bet that's exactly what it was. That's the good thing about this place, what one forgets, another usually remembers.Also, I would heartily agree that Zone Alarm is a very good and easy to configure free firewall. I use it and highly recommend it.KP

I had the same problem, and someone told me about "Message Blocker" I have it on all the time. It sits in the tray. I haven