Sign in to follow this  

The unofficial VATSIM Tip Sharing thread.

Hi all!Back in the days of FS98, I used to fly on SATCO, before Roger Wilco made v-atc possible. Back then, I can remember getting very flustered with having to both fly the plane, and communicate with ATC without doing a nosedive on departure. Later, I got FS2K, and soon the voice use increased. This made it easier to keep my hands on the controls, while talking to ATC, but I can remember on more than one occasion where I botched my readback, because I was scanning instruments, and a number on one of the guages would replace the assigned FL or heading, thus making the controller repeat himself (no doubt with an understandable sigh and roll of the eyes. :))What I'd like to do is to see if some of you more seasoned online vets could share your tips on how to survive as the one-man pilot, co-pilot (and in some cases, flight attendant ;)) in the live and busy world of VATSIM.I'm in FS2K2 now, getting ready to take the plunge once more into online ATC. My sanity, the controllers' sanity, and the virtual lives of all my pax and peers in the sky depend on all the help I can get! Thanks!JonathanKATL

Hi JonathanI can't rate myself as a vet on VATSIM but something that made a big difference for me was assigning the Roger Wilco push to talk button to one of my yoke buttons. That way I can transmit and steer at the same time while fiddeling with the mouse with my right hand.Another thing I'm playing with right now is a couuple of speech add-ons that will let me give orders to an invisible F/O. And she takes care of the stuff. For example I call the different panels by saying "Overhead" or "Pedestal". The voice recognition engines can be a bit unreliable though...A third thing that made a huge difference for me was putting a lot of peripheral programs on a separate computer. I run FS and AIBridge on one comp, and Roger Wilco, SquawkBox, ActiveSky on a second computer. Makes for a smoother flying experience.And last but not by any means least. I try to join once in a while with a friend of mine, who is also into flying. And with a couple of beers we go for a dual head flight. :-)Well... I hope other people share their idea on how to make the one man cockpit more workable. :-)Regards

I use a joystick. (and I'm right handed) For me, buying the Saitek joystick where you can "hand" it to work well with the left hand made my life much easier, as I could use my right hand on the mouse. I assigned the button next to the Number 1 (top left of keyboard, under the Esc key) for push to talk in Roger Wilco. It's very easy to get to when you're flying on the Autopilot.RegardsSp.s. I must say I never found it a challenge to communicate and work the airplane at the same time.>Hi Jonathan >>I can't rate myself as a vet on VATSIM but something that >made a big difference for me was assigning the Roger Wilco >push to talk button to one of my yoke buttons. That way I >can transmit and steer at the same time while fiddeling with >the mouse with my right hand. >>Another thing I'm playing with right now is a couuple of >speech add-ons that will let me give orders to an invisible >F/O. And she takes care of the stuff. For example I call the >different panels by saying "Overhead" or "Pedestal". The >voice recognition engines can be a bit unreliable though... >>A third thing that made a huge difference for me was putting > a lot of peripheral programs on a separate computer. I run >FS and AIBridge on one comp, and Roger Wilco, SquawkBox, >ActiveSky on a second computer. Makes for a smoother flying >experience. >>And last but not by any means least. I try to join once in a >while with a friend of mine, who is also into flying. And >with a couple of beers we go for a dual head flight. :-) >>Well... I hope other people share their idea on how to make >the one man cockpit more workable. :-) >>Regards Sunil Mulay

Hi Sunil,You don't say which Saitek stick you have but I would be interested in your 'left hand' use, do you mean you just turn the stick round or is there something more to it?I have the X36 combo and find it a good inexpensive control.I note you use the keyboard for your RW PTT. Have you thought about using one of the stick buttons?I use the missile launch button on top of the stick for my PTT and assign it using FSUIPC.

Hi Jonathan,First off let me say that voice ATC makes life a lot easier than using text.My on line flying has all been done since voice was implemented but voice restrictions are/were in place in various divisions I have had to cope with text only controllers; OK in cruise but a nighmare on approach:-erks As landing is probably the most intensive part of the trip my best advice is get configured as early as possible or at least know what your landing speed and flaps should be. That way you can concentrate on ATC instructions and operate flaps, gear and speed when required.I use the A/P rather than manual control of the aircraft in response to ATC instructions, that way you only have to set the numbers in the MCP and you should not get 'excursions' when you inadvertantly move the yoke/stick.Even on manual T/O you should be able to manage comms & fly, especially if you assign a yoke/stick button for your PTT.As for flight attendant, I still don't know of virtual ones that serve coffee etc. :-lol If you do need to leave the flightdeck for any reason, just advise the controller that you have to leave for a short while and when back in the seat just call up and advise that you are back in command; of course this is best done in the cruise and not on short finals :-lol Have a pen and paper handy to write down your clearance so you know what squwak code to set and any initial altitude restriction.For hand-offs I usually remember the frequency - my brain can't cope with controller AND frequency :-lol - it is then easy to look up the frequency in the ATC directory and double click to change RW & COMM1.HTH And enjoy getting back in the skies with real ATC, especially as a new era starts on VATSIM with the new ATC s/ware just released, and any body's guess when the new SB will be ready.

Hi VulcanIt's the Saitek Cyborg 3D Digital... I think its "old" technology now, anyway you can swap the throttle over to the right hand side using a simple alan key. and turn the hand supports on the handle over so that it supports the left instead of the right hand. (no, I don't simply turn the joystick around.. might make it a bit difficult to fly that way....... :) )I find it easier to assign a keybard command for PTT, because most of the flight is hands-off (using the autopilot). I only need to use the joystick on the ground and during takeoff.RegardsSunil>Hi Sunil, >>You don't say which Saitek stick you have but I would be >interested in your 'left hand' use, do you mean you just >turn the stick round or is there something more to it? >>I have the X36 combo and find it a good inexpensive control. >>I note you use the keyboard for your RW PTT. Have you >thought about using one of the stick buttons? >>I use the missile launch button on top of the stick for my >PTT and assign it using FSUIPC. Sunil Mulay

This brings up a good point .. They almost always train new controllers in this order .. Ground,Tower,ApproachCenter.New controllers have to be voice certified before they can go voice .. this means that more often then not you get a newbie doing text only for tower.Tower is the last place I wanna go text. I think they should strive harder to get the ATC voice certified before they let them leave ground.Just me 2 cents.

HiThis has been brought up earlier on this forum. I think only the VATSIM-US has these rules as I never came across it in Europe. I think they should be voice certified before they go controller certified. Voice is essential for a smooth ride for the pilots, especially on the stressful moments at t/o and landing. i.e. TWR and APP.And these are my

In Australia/Pacific region, Voice and Controller rating are hand in hand :)The only time you encounter a text only controller is when either::Roger wilco servers are mucking up or: after midnight, Australian time when the controllers don't want to be talking anymore... though this is unlikley now, cos usually they just log off around then :(

I think like real flying, the key to a successful virtual flight is good organization and planning. This takes only a few minutes but can really make a difference. For example, familiarize yourself with the departure and arrival airports and route before the flight. This can be as simple as looking at some charts to get a good feel for the layout of the airports and reading the flightplan to really know the route well. Next, have all your charts (if you use them) in order, from departure, enroute, arrival. Also read over those DP's/STAR's before you go so you also know them well. I actually do like the airlines and have a clip on my yoke and put the chart right there. Lastly, it is important to use tools like airspeed bugs, altitude alterters, etc. I can't remember how many times when I first started FS and online flying I would fly straight through my assigned altitude, or turn right past the heading... :-)Some may think that spending time planning is boring and a waste, but I guarantee if you spend about 10 minutes ahead of time you'll have a lot more fun during the flight.Cheers,Marchttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

I agree. Voice ratings should me mandatory for Tower and above. Nothing like being on a 5 mile final and going from a voice approach controller to a text tower controller while wanting to do a manual approach! The trick I came up with is when I know I am going to a text only controller, I type in "with you for 25L" in the text box while still with the approach controller. When handed off to them, all I need to do is put my cursor back into the text box and hit enter instead of having to type it out.

Eric 

There are a number of posts in this thread about use of voice and voice rating for controllers.Each of the posts seem to have missed one very important fact, text, and not voice, is still the default method of communication on Vatsim so you should never see a controller barred from any position just because they don't have a voice rating.So 'Voice ratings should me mandatory for Tower and above' will not happen unless Vatsim change their policy on the method of communication.

Just to add to this last point. Even with voice controllers,it is important to stay on their freq for text back up whenvoice is either garbled or stepped on by other pilots.If a pilot is unfamiliar with an Intersection often it iseasier for both the controller and pilot to type it in text rather than spell it out phonetically when the pilot is busyflying.BlayneM.

Well I never wanted to say that voice be mandatory. I think it would be nice as part of common practice for VATSIM to encourage controllers to get voice certified before proceeding to Approach, and Tower. Mind you I'm not a controller, nor do I have any experience in that position. I'm relating my experiences from the other side of the mic. I just wonder if Center in an area with light traffic wouldn't make more sense as the next step for a new controller, especially one without voice certification. Roger Wilco can be spotty, if you can't get text you aren't talking to VATSIM anyway, so I understand and agree that "Text is the default communication for VATSIM". That doesn't mean we can't try to make things better.Two address two other points brought up.I love the planning, its probably for me as much fun as the actual flying. I like looking at the charts, and picking my routes. Right now I'm evaluating FSNavigator, and trying to decide if I want to spend money on that, or get all the real charts, or both.I try very hard to be prepared, flying as close to reality as I can (given that I'm sitting in my living room on a folding card table). :) I usually do try to put into the clipboard "Pegasus 514 with you to land Runway 25R" so I only have to paste it in at the right moment. Sometimes things go wrong; just Saturday I was flying into Seattle, when things went wrong on approach. I couldn't have my pre-canned text ready, all I had time to type was "Landing". :) Luckily things went well .. it was actually a fun approach, and landing. Was the first time I've ever been put into a pattern around an airport online. :)Oh and back on track with the forum my tips (similar to ones already stated): When coming into a tower without voice, put your contact into the clipboard (type it up, use shift arrow keys to highlight it, and hit ctrl-x to file it away). That way you can type to approach if needed and not lose it, and just hit ctrl-v to bring it back. Get ServInfo, and put the ServInfo gauge on the panels of your favorite planes. It gives you an ATC directory, and lets you quickly change both RW, and Radio right there in FS2002 even in full screen mode.

Dear Jonathan,Before you fly in VATSIM, do some exercises offline. First try some "by-the-book" ILS approaches. This helps you to make a standard for your operations. After it, make some very tight visual approaches thinking the communication phrases at the same time. This gets you into quick reaction with the standard learned in the ILS exercises and helps you to know what's coming next. Then fly some other non-precision approaches (ndb and 2ndb approaches are nice to fly with A320) by the standard learned in the ILSes and by communications learned in visual approaches. I believe this helps you in the problem. I supposed that you have at least adequate skills in VFR operations already. If you don't have any skills in VFR, please take a Cessna and practise them first. And if the speed is too much for you, you can always take some other plane than Boeing 747.For (virtual) aviation safety and controllers' reality, please don't forget flight planning. FPL does include something else than route, too. I understand that the most of VATSIM pilots are not so interested in flight planning, but for me it usually takes from 10 minutes to four hours. It's better to think of a route in briefing room, not in the cockpit.Hope this helps you forward.Regards, Matti.