Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Help

OK - finally got the software issues ironed out and I'm ready to go.Just don't want to get in the way too much at first. The consensus advice from the forums is to stay away from the first few flights from the major metro airports until you get used to on-line flying. It seems however when I'm online that most controllers are in fact in major metro centers.Anybody got any suggestions about how to choose a first route?

Hello,I would recommend using Servinfo to find an area where there may be lots of controllers, but not too much traffic. Sometimes the major metro areas are staffed because, well, they're major metro areas. But that doesn't always mean there's a huge traffic volume. If you can also find an airport that has a tower to start with without much traffic that'll make it easier than having to deal with an ARTCC with a higher workload. Personally, though, I wouldn't worry too much, everybody I've encountered so far I've found to be very helpful and friendly.Have fun,Marchttp://www.freewebs.com/flightsimcfi/http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Took Speedbird's advice, and found an area late Tuesday in New England that did not seem to have alot of traffic but good ATC coverage. But after filing my flight plan I connected and then hit ATC directory and all I got was unicom. Even though the "Who's on line" listed several controllers at the airport I was at (KBOS). What am I doing wrong? Can someone explain what Unicom is and how to use it?This whole experience reminds me why I went to law school years ago and stayed away from computers

Unicom 122.80 is a frequency you may report (in text) your position when no ATC is present in your area so that other air traffc in the area have you in mind. There's also TCAS (E button from SquawkBox) to keep an eye on if no ATC is arround.If you were in BOS and all online ATCs where elsewhere you would not see them in the ATC Directory since they are far away.Remember ATCs, like Pilots, are humans in VATSIM and there are not always and everywhere present ;-)Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

I understand all that. Before I get online I look at ServInfo and see where the controllers are. Once I connect though I cannot find them in the ATC directory. All I get is Unicomm.Can anyone thing of a stupid step that I'm missing?I'm really about to give up. Been trying now for almost a week and it seems like one setback after another.

Guest MB327

Grip,Edited to delete message, I see you have it sorted out now.