Sign in to follow this  
Guest Etabubu

DirectPlay error

Guest Etabubu

Hi!I'm a newbie to VATSIM and I'm trying to make it work...When I open SquawkBox (after creating a session in FS2002...) and I find my session and I click "Join", my pc does nothing for 15 secs and then a little messagebox titled "DirectPlay Sample" pops up with a "Unable to join" error.I have DirectX 9.0b and I re-installed them some minutes ago, but nothing...Help please...Thx!Bye ByeMarco

Guest MB327

This could be related to the FSUIPC version you are using. It may also by one of the other critical steps necessary to successfully join a VATSIM session.Try reading a couple of the other threads on the front page of this forum, like this one http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1566&page=Even though the problem that person is reporting is different, there are links throughout that thread that may help you out.

Guest ba747heavy

I am having this exact error, with FSUIPC versions 3.01 and the latest(3.125 or whatever it is). This happened since I reinstalled windows a week ago.I am at a loss. I reinstalled DX, no go. Not sure what to do. No software firewall is installed, and my linksys router is forwarding the right ports. A shame, I want my VATSIM flying back :(

Guest MB327

Guys, I am not ignoring you, it's just that I am at a loss for suggestions.This must be software related on your end if it worked before the windows reinstallation. Why did you have to reinstall Windows?Were you using FSUIPC 3.x before?Any sound config changes? New card perhaps..Did you install any new software, games?Using XP?What is different than before?Perhaps we can generate some discussion that will lead to someone offering a real suggestion as opposed to my drilling you for answers.

Guest ba747heavy

>This must be software related on your end if it worked before>the windows reinstallation. I agree, I just can't fathom what is different.>Why did you have to reinstall Windows?I couldn't install VC++, very odd error. And windows was starting to act more sluggish and defragging wasn't helping, nor any of the other housecleaning items that usually speed up the 'ole comoputer. I thought it was as good a time as any to do it.>Were you using FSUIPC 3.x before?Affirmative. I used SB Relay, SB, FSUIPC 3.x(many versions) and had it working for a long time - that is until I reinstalled windows.>Any sound config changes? New card perhaps..The only new thing I can think of is that I updated my Creative Sound Blaster Live Drivers....I think anyway, there versioning scheme is so convoluted that I get a headache trying to figure it out ;) IOW, I think I updated my drivers.>Did you install any new software, games?I have a much more lean system. The last windows install had everything on it - office apps, email, etc etc. I have been moving over to linux for a while, and now linux does all of the above for me. On my old install, I never uninstalled those applications because I had no reason to. Now I have no reason to install them, as this windows install it intended only for FS.>Using XP?Yes.>What is different than before?Other than a few applications that I hadn't installed this time around, the biggest thing I can think of software wise is the lack of a firewall. I had McAfee as my virii scanner and firewall, but I have judged it too much of a hinderance for an FS only box; thus I didn't isntall it. I highly doubt the lack of a firewall hurts the connectivity of an application on my box ;)Hardware wise my CPU has a new cooling fan, and a piece of RAM went bad on me. I had to replace my stock Ti4600 fan and 256 mb of my RAM died on me *after* I installed my latest copy of Windows, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.I don't know what to think, besides that something so basic is differnt between my two installs that is messing sometihng up. Perhaps it is the creative drivers....who knows.

Guest MB327

Agreed on the Sound Blaster Drivers versioning scheme. I had to go to kX audio drivers to cure a problem with my second sound card but I would not recommend that to anyone who is not a brute for punishment.Here I go again, another drill:Did you run the dxdiag utility (FILE/RUN/dsdiag) to see if any problems were found? It is also a sure fire way of confirming your 9.0b installation.Double check you are using SBRelay 1.2Yea, I know, I am not helping one bit :(

Guest ba747heavy

Mike,Every bit helps, and I appreciate it! I did run dxdiag when this whole fiasco started, and it was fine. And I am running SBRelay 1.2I have just updated my videocard drivers(it is so cool to see 4 FPS improvement just by upgrading your drivers :)), and tomorrow I will test out the SB thing and hope it works. Who knows, stranger things have happened :)

Guest ba747heavy

That didn't fix the blasted error.

Fred Did you checked that after the Windows re install the XP firewall remains disabled? Usually what happens is that SB couldn't find the session but worth checking.Jos

Guest MB327

I wish that there was something more I could offer you on this but I am out of ideas.As fate would have it, my flight this evening was cut short before getting clearance because of a system problem of my own with my audio setup. This stuff can drive you CCRRAAZZYY

Interesting that Marco (original poster) has not replied, wonder if he gave up or got connected? If the latter it would have been nice to see what he did.The only other suggestion I can make Fred is to use the Direct Play test from within DX. Unfortunately I cannot give you chapter and verse on how to use it as I have never had to but I think it is supposed to highlight any DX connection problem.On other thing springs to mind. Have you disabled any XP services, if so could you have disabled one needed for DirectPlay?Like Mike I'm grasping at straws here.Oh, while I'm here thanks for the new PMDG tutorial flight, very useful. If only for that I need to try to get you back on VATSIM :-)Rgds

Guest ba747heavy

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them out and report back.