Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

OT or is it? PSP installation and Windows XP

Hi everyone,Okay, WinXP is installed on my spanking new, just built, sooopa dooopa P4 2.2GHz / GF4 4400 Ti / 512MB Crucial / SB Audigy / IBM 120GXP 60GB HD / Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo based machine.First impressions - gobsmacked! How could I have avoided XP for so long? :( This is seriously good!!Anyway, enough of my musings - on to the problem......I use PSP a great deal for image manipulation and often with screen captures from FS. Hence my submission that perhaps this isn't so 'off topic'.My drive is split into 2 partitions - one 3 GB Primary partition for Win XP formatted as FAT32 (Elrond's advice) and the rest of the drive is one large extended partition (logical D: drive) formatted as NTFS (again Elrond's recommendation). My intention is to install all my software and data on the D: drive rather than clutter up the Win XP C: drive. So far so good.However, the installer for PSP Anniversary Edition ver 7.04 does not appear to give you the option for choosing the destination of the installation, unless I am missing something very obvious, and defaults to the C: drive which is what I wish to avoid.I am wondering whether any of you have encountered this difficulty and know of a solution? I had thought of expanding the Win XP partition to accomodate occasional issues such as this but XP does not seem to have that tool built in. At present I have just over 1GB left on the XP partition and am starting to wonder whether this is going to be a TAD restrictive in the future. Obviously I would rather know now than find out several months down the line. I presume I could run out and purchase a dedicated utility like Partition Magic to sort things out but I'm not sure whether it will cope with the 2 partitions being formatted differently.I would appreciate any input here.Thanks,Mike :-wave

Hi there,this is from someone who came over from a Mac to XP. When setting up my machine I was advised to stick with NTSF or FAT32, with NTSF being the prefered choice. Mixing the two could lead to problems, depending on hardware/software configurations. I think NTSF is easier to recover if XP takes down your system. As I said, I'am completely wet behind the ears when it comes to PC's so take what I've related with a big grain of salt ;) Good luck, I'am sure there are guru's out there who will give you the answers you're looking for.Pete

Guest Barney1

When I installed XP, I followed your routine, except I allowed 5GB for the FAT32 formatted partition ( C: ). My reason for 5GB was that I might need the space some day.....kind of what you've run into!! I also set the HD up this way because I use some command line programs (DOS) which won't function in the NTFS formatted environment.I also installed PSP, an older version than you quote, but I had no difficulty choosing the NTSF partition ( D: ). And I haven't experienced trouble selecting that drive for any other programs that I have installed, since I strictly reserve the FAT32 drive for the OS and other things like anti-virus, firewall, etc. In each and every case, the abilty to select the partion (drive) and /or folder of my choice has always been present; usually in the form of an arrow and selection window. If there is no such box, just try writing over the default partition letter with the letter of your choice, and even type in the destination folder/subfolder. It might be an idea to create a destination folder in the drive of your choice first before the install attempt.An e-mail to the manufacturer of PSP might be in order if you are still unable to place it where you want.

Guest lwhelan

Mike,Regarding PSP, the screen after you enter your name details etc asks you for a complete or custom installation.You must select custom and then on the next screen is an option to change the desired installation location.Regards,Laurie WhelanBrisbane, Australia

Laurie, you are a life saver!!!!Many, many thanks. I suspected I was missing something obvious - must be getting old.......wife interjects, "What do you mean,'must be', you ARE old, very very old"Ugh :(Regards,Mike :-wave