Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

AI and VATSIM

Do AI aircraft interfere with VATSIM-controlled flights? Seems that they might. Do you simply turn of AI or not?Thank for replies.Dave Hinson

Dave,AI is automatically turned off when you start up a multiplayer session.Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Guest ovavp

When you create and connect to a multiplayer session, AI aircraft are automatically suppressed. This is why when you disconnect from MP, you see the "Loading AI Objects" dialogue. It reloads them upon disconnect.When you think about it, there is no way to have AI running about uncontrolled. It would be a controller's nightmare.Brian

Thanks, all. Didn't think they could coexist.Dave Hinson

As a friend wrote to VATSIM newgroup some time ago,"You know what I do sometimes when there is no traffic ?I use FS2004 and have VATSIM COMs on COM1 and AI traffic & ATC on COM2.SBRelay, AIBridge allow me to have TCAS display on all of them and if VATSIM controller pops up I "cancell IFR" in AI and start talking to VATSIM ATC (and vice versa).Its very cool because AI traffic up in the skies is amazing. MS did a nicejob this time I have to admit. I love those jet trails !If I join a VATSIM busy area I connect FS to multiplay and AI traffic goes way. On the contrary if VATSIM ATC clear me to land in an empty airport (on VATSIM) but AI ATC have an aircraft in front of me on finals they (AI ATC)ask it togo arround !TCAS shows both kinds of traffic (VATSIM & AI) & FSNavigator only themultiplayer (VATSIM) Jose Oliveira was the one who mentioned it first time to me and I gave it a try.So to make it clearer:For AI all u have to do is convert your FP to FS2004 GPS FP (I do it with FSNav) and submit it to have it ready.I connect to VATSIM as always and SB launches with 122.80 on COM1.FSNavigator MP remains connected to SBRelay MP so I see VATSIM traffic from there as well if I wish, although TCAS gauges such as ilh_tcas_v3.zip by Lee Hetherington are very realistic if you insert them in your panel and need no "unrealistic" support from FSNav MP display..Scenary 1If VATSIM airport has ATC & traffic, I connect FS2004 on SBrelay as usual and AI goes away and I continue with VATSIM ATC on COM1. I do not choose to monitor COM2 there, and I see the CSL aircraft of other pilots in the area.Scenary 2If VATSIM airport has ATC but no traffic I continue with VATSIM ATC and AI Traffic in view (do not join SBRelay MP session) and no contact with AI ATC (they direct AI traffic away from me). Later when I leave VATSIM controlled airspace I contact AI ATC on COM2 for IFR clearance enroute, based on the submited FP (FS2004 GPS format). I always leave COM1&2 monitor switch on to monitor 122.80 (SquawkBox) on COM1.Scenary 3If VATSIM has no ATC & no traffic there, I continue logged with SquawkBox in VATSIM but with AI traffic in view (no FS join of SBRelay MP session) and contact AI ATC on COM2. To do this you choose COM2 for transmit active freq, and also press the COM1&2 monitor button. This means that all commands to AI go via COM2 while u still monitor 122.80 on COM1 (SquawkBox / VATSIM). Even when u choose as COM1 as active , as long as u have COM1&2 monitor active, AI ATC will still be monitored and with a flip of a switch u can answer themand execute AI commands.Scenary 4If VATSIM airport has traffic but no ATC. I join SBRelay MP session and COM1 on 122.80 to monitor other CSL aircraft pilots. Previously visible AI traffic & TCAS targets go away and I see only VATSIM TCAS targets & CSL aircraft. On COM2 I communicate with AI ATC for full IFR procedures right from the start based on the FS2004 GPS FP submited. If they happen to give me commands in conflict with another VATSIM pilot (in view) in front of me, I simply become a disobedient to AI ATC pilot !Bad thing with AI ATC is that a) u can't ask for shortcuts :( they do not *control* but only *advise* when it comes to colision avoidance. Numerous times I had near midair colisions by few feet with AI aircraft in the same FL in upper airways. Thrilling feeling - I have screenshots !So in case you need shortcuts, cancel IFR with AI ATC and then contact them again for "Flight Following" service.Funny thing is when in some cases AI ATC frequency is the same with VATSIM.I get to hear both at the same time (after I cancel with AI but still on their frequency) and just have to minimise AI ATC volumr from FS2004 settings."For the Copy Chris Makris

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com