Sign in to follow this  

Why are the airbrakes coupled with reverse?

Hey Gang!I have observed a particular anomaly that makes me wonder whether this is a FS2002 related bug or if maybe I have something mapped wrong. Whenever I land any aircraft equipped with airbrakes, the airbrakes automatically deploy upon touchdown (as they should). The problem is that they automatically retract as soon as reverse thrust is de-activated rather than staying in the deployed position until I (the PIC), decide to put them down. Has anyone ever noticed this? Is there some sort of parameter, somwhere, where I can fix this?Thanks for any input!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest united777

hey, well actually, I believe this is NOT really how it is 100% in the real world. In the real world. the pilot can set his airbrakes to auto or set(either one) which is left of the thrust levers. which when upon landing the airbrakes well, will automatically deploy. and I think for space saving reasons-I AM NOT SURE, I am NOT a designer- they decided to just make them both animated like that. regarding your 'problem' after your Reversers are deactivated and your Air brakes are lowered. I think that is also another feature added, or it could be how it is when vacating hte rwy and the pilot manually brings the Air Brake lever up.. I do not know, have not read much into the airbrakes system, but I hope this helped!"come fly our friendly skies" (by friendly, we MEAN FRIENDLY ;)

Different aircraft have different ways of handling the spoilers.There are some that will automatically deactivate the spoilers when the reversers are deactivated.Spoilers are to get rid of lift, in fact the Hawker refers to them as "lift dump" which is what they do.Once you are on the ground and slowed then the spoilers are no longer required.Always deactivate the reverse by 80 kts to avoid foreigh object damage (fod) to the engines by having the engines suck debris into the intakes. Use of thrust reverse to back away from the gate is not allowed on various aircraft for this same reason.gramps

Hi Folks!I understand both your feedbacks and agree with both of you. I actually have a lot of flying experience with different aircraft types and I know that there are aircraft that come with the A/B's coupled with the reverse system. BUT! On aircraft like the 777's, 707's, 727's, etc..., the airbrakes are not coupled with the reverse thrusters in real life and the pilot can manually control them without any relation to reverse thrust. An example is: If you notice next time you fly on a commercial airliner, after touchdown, airbrakes get automatically engaged by the touchdown; reverse thrust gets engaged and shortly thereafter, disengaged, but the airbrakes continue in the deployed position waaayyy after reverse is disengaged. That's what I'm talking about. The disengaging part should not be coupled to the reverse.Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say here!Thanks for your feedback!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

"On aircraft like the 777's, 707's, 727's, etc..., the airbrakes are not coupled with the reverse thrusters in real life and the pilot can manually control them without any relation to reverse thrust." This is true up to a point. On late models 727s and 737s having auto spoilers, the speed brake handle CAN be moved to the retract position by using the throttles. A mechanical linkage is installed so that when number 1 throttle is moved forward past a certain angle, it will contact a switch to drive the speed brake lever electrically to its forward position. This was incorporated to relieve pilot workload in case of a very late go-around, when the main wheels may have already contacted the ground and auto spoilers may have deployed.Also the speed brakes can be deployed during an aborted take-off using the reverse thrust levers only with the same linkage(which physically lifts the spoiler handle out of its detent and then make contact with another switch to drive the handle back to the full deploy position).However in FS2002 I would prefer to manually stow the spoilers as well.Hope this helps.