Sign in to follow this  
dmaher

voice policy evolving?

I saw this on the VATSIM forum. I think this is a great idea.. I personally can't fly with non-voice controllers

I believe with the new AVC, that this is a good step in the right direction. With better tools comes better reliablity. SB3(with AVC built in) and ASRC1.1 will allow VATSIM to become IMO a more realistic and user friendly enviroment and in turn I hope it also increases membership as most will find SB3 more easier to learn to use than the older version. Hopefully this is VATUSA leading the way in VATSIM in going to this new policy (if it is accepted).

Eric 

Guest ben_hewitt

Text has always been the 'primary' communication method..I dont see it changing in the UK and Europe..but who knows in the US. :)

Well even though it may be that text is the main method voice would be nice. Although, to be honest, I do not have a lot of faith in this new voice thing.....AVC. I think that the idea is nice, but it just does not cut it..simple.It was touted to solve some of the high-low voice issues, but as far as I can see, it does no such thing.Therefore, I think that VATSIM may be using text for some time to come

Guest speedbird326

Well, there are two sides to any "argument" and I think it's important to look at the advantages and disadvantages of everything. With this, the obvious advantage is less workload for you (the pilot) and the air traffic controller. Personally, I have a hard time flying with text ATC, but live with it. I'm only a student with ATC, so I always use text (unless an instructor's around), but obviously only controlling ground, delivery, and tower. In these positions, is it really that hard to work with a text controller? I don't think so. I think it might be smart of VATSIM to ensure that all DEP/APP and CTR controllers are on voice. I think the new voice clients, both on the ATC and pilot sides are working quite well. Despite a bit of confusion at first, I see this evolving into a far better system than RW ever was. The quality of the communication is superior as well, and I think that "realistic distortion" feature of AVC is awesome; it sounds like a real radio, only easier to understand :-)But, there would be a disadvantage of making this new policy permanent. This might attract a lot of new controllers, but are they really interested in learning the ATC system or are they just jumping at the chance to do voice? Personally, I don't mind controlling in text, because I'm learning the system and am willing to put in the time to progress. Doesn't our current system ensure some level of dedication of controllers, to keep our hobby more realistic and fun? In that regard, I think the current policy works well. Just something to think about!Cheers,MarcMarc Gibson

Vatpac has been mostly voice for a whyle now, with the controller test and the voice test being the same thing. That is to say the moment you graduate from observer/pilot to Student1, you have a voice rating.Also I have found AVC has been quite effective now that Im using it. everyone seems to be about the same volume, the quality of voice is alot better, the only people Iv had problems hearing is other pilots who must be on the old roger wilco, being very very loud indeed or inaudably soft and muffled. When I was on RW myself, with others on AVC I'd have a real tough time hearing them.

Ejiro,How can you say AVC isn't working when it's still in beta and I'm betting a sizable percentage of VATSIM pilots are still using RW? We're only going to be able to judge the effectiveness once EVERYONE is using AVC and ASRC.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

No Sir! I never said that it is not working. I only said that I did not have faith in it, and did not beleive that it was able to do all that it was claimed to be able to do. The reason for this is because I asked four different controllers who all sounded very low to me if they were using the new voice client. They said yes. Having learned more in the past few days, they probably meant that they have the new contoller client, with the integrated voice...? Perhaps they are the same.....I do not know.Since the last post I made on this topic, I have been investiging the AVC forum on Vatsim.I learned there that those of us with integrated sound cards on our motherboard could experience the kind of problems I am experiencing.That was interesting to read, and i thought i'd give it a try.I have had a Creative Audigy 2 soundblaster card sitting on my shelf for over half a year(I've been too lazy to install it)So I installed it early on Saturday morning, and logged on to Vatsim.I spoke to the controller at EDDM, and lo and behold, the difference was clear!I have not have the time to speak to another controller, as I did not fly that day, and have not flown since then, but I believe that there was a major difference, and can begin to understand what you folks are talking about when you refer to the clarity.Hopefully I will be online tonight to really check it out, and I promise to return here with whatever findings I make.I also promise to eat my own words (about not having faith) if it turns out the way I am looking forward to it turning out.

Ryan, I promised I'd eat my words if I saw even a slight improvement. Well I will not be eating them, I am afraid....and what's more, I have even less faith in the voice thing. I have tried it out properly and still cannot get it to do what some claim it does......

>Hopefully this is VATUSA leading the way in VATSIM in going to this new policy (if it is accepted).VATPAC has used voice as the primary communication since 1999!! That area was chosen as the beta testing ground for the integration of voice (RW) into SB and has been the primary communication ever since, regardless of position. The last time I saw text used was for about 45 minutes about 9 months ago when there were massive server problems. I have used voice (and voice only) since FS98 on VATPAC and find the experience a lot more enjoyable and realistic than text controllers.I do take my hat off to the VATUSA area that has introduced this and hope that they can pull the rest of VATUSA into the "real world" without too much trouble reluctance.ANZ121