Sign in to follow this  
Guest EricL

Any reason to not use AVC instead of RW?

Guest EricL

Hi,I haven't installed voice yet, so I'm wondering if I should start with Roger Wilco or AVC?As far as I understand, they are compatible in the way that:- changing channel in squawkbox will drive RW and AVC the same.- communication is possible between a RW user and an AVC user.- I have read users reporting they successfully used RWControl to switch AVC. This doesn't surprise me as if it works with SB, it means AVC implements the same control interface.Now, taking into account that AVC is apparently protected agains hackers, and that AVC's sound quality is better, would there be any reason to not prefer it over RW? Is there anything you can do with RW that you cannot do with AVC?Thanks for your opinion.Eric L.

Guest MB327

As far as I am concerned, everyone should switch over to AVC for on-line flying. The sooner, the better...

The only reason I can think of is that in most cases the voice output from AVC is just too low. Some say it is because of the RW user on the same channel, but I do not think that is true. Unless Vatsim makes it compulsory to use the AVC, then perhaps staying with the "inferior" RW may be a wise thing to do, in my own opinion.

Guest EricL

Well,not waiting for answers to my questions, I installed AVC yesterday and I must say it works very well. Installation was a breeze (the registration system described in the doc isn't asked for) and it automatically interfaced with SB.Ejiro,Have you tested AVC yourself? Have you run the mike setup? It is still possible that if the emitter has not run the mike setup, sound may be sent at a too low level. The system can only amplify sound by a certain max factor, so if you have a really low recording, it may not be possible to bring it up enough.I spent about 2 hours switching to different channels in France, Germany and England and all received voices were heard at a reasonable level. They were not all the exact same level, but this is just as real as it gets...I would definitly encourage everyone to go with AVC.Eric.

Eric, I did the mic setup..infact I think that the program will ask you to do it the first time you start it.My mic passed the test, so I think that it was okay.Also, not only was the sound too low it was also breaking up most of the time.I am glad to hear that it worked for you. As for me I can only keep trying.

Guest dmynke

Well, My VA uses a password on our channel, and I have yet to find where one can be put in for a channel. That's what's keeping most of us from moving en masse to AVC. I KNOW supposedly secure, but time will tell...John HoganHelo Ops/TrainingZIA Air Cargo/Sunspot Charter

Guest EricL

>Also, not only was the sound too low it was also breaking up>most of the time.I just read on simflight vatsim uk newsgroup someone saying that he had the same problem than you have, and that he solved it by setting the hardware settings to WAV and not DirectSound. Maybe that's your problem as well ?Eric.

Thanks for the reply....I read that as well, and I tried it, and it did not solve it. You know something interesting is that a lot of the folks that were online in Europe this evening also had similar problems. Most of the communications were done via text. So I am sure that this is not peculiar to me alone. Perhaps some of them will speak up soon.Maybe we need to develop some sort of advanced text client next.

Few nights some voice servers do have problems.Some other nights our individual connection with the server has probelms. During these ocasions everyone thinks its because of AVC.Please before assuming its AVC give it a try few more times at different voice servers.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vateud.org/images/vatsim-eurs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Guest rcritz

>The only reason I can think of is that in most cases the>voice output from AVC is just too low. Some say it is because>of the RW user on the same channel, but I do not think that is>true. Unless Vatsim makes it compulsory to use the AVC, then>perhaps staying with the "inferior" RW may be a wise thing to>do, in my own opinion.Spend some time in the AVC forum and follow the instructions written there by the developers and beta testers for retuning your mixers. While AVC is not currently compulsory, RogerWilco will be eliminated from VATSIM at some point in the future when we switch to integrated voice servers. RogerWilco will no longer be able to connect at that point.cz