Sign in to follow this  
Ejiro

Help With Serverinfo.

Dear Friends, Please could someone out there tell me where to go to get help with Serverinfo? I am not sure if this is the right place, and was wondering if anyone knew the right place to ask for help.Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the response and reference.I'd actually been there before I came here. The issue is not to do with how to use the program, but rather with program errors that have developed in recent times, after using this program for more than 3 months.It all started after I swapped my microprocessor for a faster one, and changed the FSB frequency on my motherboard.Serverinfo loads normally at the start, and the first couple of refreshes. At around the third refresh or so, i get the error "Invalid Pointer Operation". Even with this error, it still loads in most cases. All subsequent reloads after this come with this "Invalid Pointer Operation" error until it stops loading entirely (usually on the fifth or sixth reload) with the new error message: "The memory location XXXX referenced is invalid" or something of the sort. Then it stops functioning and continues to bring this pop up window repeatedly, even if I click OK.At this point the only way I can exit the program is by killing it with the task manager.If I restart immediately after the kill, it works normally at the begining, and the whole cycle repeats itself.I have removed the entire installation and replaced it with a fresh download, all to no avail.I run Windows XP home on a AMD Athlon 2400 machine with 1Ghz of 133Mhz SDRAM, if this is of any help.Can anyone please help me? Thanks again.

This sounds very much like a system problem and nothing at all to do with ServInfo. I strongly suspect it is to do with the increase in FSB/RAM - are you sure your RAM can cope with the new FSB?Search the web for 'prime 95' (or prime95).It is a program that searches for prime numbers and in doing so puts your system under a lot of stress and is used a lot by overclockers to test their systems.Once you have the program read the readme file as there are various ways to run the program, IIRC there is a 'torture test' option.Run this test on your PC for at least 30 minutes, don't do anything else with the PC, just leave the program running.If there are problems with your system Prime95 will stop and give an error msg, at that point you know you need to sort out your system.My bet is that Prime95 will fail and I think it will be the RAM that has caused the failure. First step would be to go into the BIOS and reduce the speed of RAM, or even load the BIOS default values and work up from there.Best of luck.

Thank You very much, Vulcan for your response.I agree totally with what you say, becasue the problem started the moment that I changed the CPU and FSB setting.To further butress this, I have been trying Serverinfo on my laptop computer as part of the troubeshooting process, and it works flawlessly.I will investigate the options that you suggested.Thanks once again, and best regardsPS: Let me also use the opportunity to say what a great program Serverinfo is, and what an even greater guy Michael (the author) is. He has been quite commited to helping me solve this problem.

That is indeed right!I found the prime95 program, and ran the tourture test for 3 hours.Everything worked without any errors.Then I tried teeny little Serverinfo, and my pc starts to produce error messages in AcLayers.DLL and Serverinfo.exeReally confusing!But it works without problems on my work pc!!

>I found the prime95 program, and ran the tourture test for 3 hours.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1Which talks about Quake quitting 'abnormally' under WinXP and there is a 'Windows XP application compatibility update'.I have just down a search on my PC, which runs Si without a problem, and found 3 instances of AcLayers.dll, the latest version is 5.1.2600.1106.Suggest you search C: drive on your PC and the work PC for AcLayers.dll and see if they are different versions and update your PC, assuming they are both runing the same OS.Best of luck

Thanks once again for the suggestion. I'd actually seen that myself on the Microsoft site on Friday night. Before I went to the Microsoft site, I searched for AcLayers.dll on my machine. I found only two instances though.I just did a search again now and found only the same two instances with the same version as yours. This is even after using that Application compatibility update from Microsoft.The locations are: C:WindowsAppPatch and C:WindowsServicePackFilesi386Could you be so kind as to tell me the location where you found your third instance, so that I can place a copy of the file in the same location on my machine. Maybe that would fix it?Best regardsEjiro

The only location that matches the case of the file name isC:WindowsAppPatchThe other two locations match the file name but all lower case letters.C:WINNTAppPatchC:WINNTServicePackFilesi386Those are dated 22/07/2002 and are version 5.0.2195.5308It might be worth reinstalling Si or sending an email to Michael to see if he can advise.Best of luck

Vulcan, Thank you for the time you have taken out so far to help me on this problem. I really appreciate it.Now I am really stumped!! I could have sworn I had WINNT folder in my C drive......I cannot find it now! Really!!Could have dissapeared during one of the countless Windows XP auto updates perhaps?I have actually removed and reinstalled Serverinfo in a different location on my hard drive before I came on this forum.I have even contacted Michael, who was very nice as well.All to no avail.Something tells me that I am going to have to use this excuse to get a new PC in the first quarter of next year. And get FS9 while I am at it.cheersEjiro

Ejiro, far be it from me to stop a fellow simmer justifying an excuse for a new PC and FS9 :-) but certainly FS9 won't cure the problem.Now I'm not sure about the Winnt folder as I had Win98 before upgrading to Win XP but I am almost cetain that any version of Win after 98/ME uses a winnt folder because Win2000 and Win XP are basically Win NT. Maybe you accidentally deleted the winNT folder, but then I would expect other things not to work.Check on your works PC for a winnt folder as I am sure you are running something better than 98/ME at work :-)Again, best of luck.Hey, just had a thought, would they notice if you swapped your work's PC for your home one :-lol

Yes Sir! They sure would notice...besides the work PC is a notebook. Home's a desktop.Also notebook runs Windows 2000 pro as opposed to Windows Xp home edition.Well I guess I will continue in my misery until I can afford that new computer. Thanks for all your help once again