Sign in to follow this  
Guest CYOW_pilot

Runway signs

Guest Hanse_1

Hi!Maybe I am stupid, but I don't know what some runway signs stand for/mean.Such as e.g. "CAT"Anyone know?Happy for enlightenment.Hans HermanssonSweden

CAT relates to C(ategory) when using the ILS in weather that is not good. CAT 1 is OK, CAT3C is very bad weather, and means that the autopilot will be used. OK !

Guest CYOW_pilot

Hans,Most taxiway signs are very straight forward and will usually indicate:a taxiway (letters or letter number combinations such as B or B1)A Runway (numbers or number letter such as 24 or 24L)A hold point for ILS operations. That is a place that the aircraft is not taxi past until cleared to line up on the runway. The HOLD point may be modified for CAT 1 or CAT II (read 2)depending on the ILS operation. CAT is short for Category as in Category I, II, or III operations.Runway and Taxiway signs are usually yellow with black writing. The HOLD signs are red.In addition, the above information may be supplemented at intersections with arrows showing which direction to go for a given taxiway, etc.Hope that helps,Kevin in CYOW