Sign in to follow this  
Guest DFrench

ServInfo Help?

Guest DFrench

Hi:I'm a longtime fligt simmer, just now trying to start flying online. I have just downloaded ServInfo... however when I start the application and hit the Vatsim button... it just continues to say "Loading". It is never able to connect. Does anyone have any explanations or solutions for this???Thanks a ton,Dave

Guest ielchitz

Hi Dave,Welcome to VATSIM.Sometimes the data server that SERVINFO gets its information from goes down or hangs. If this continues to happen I'd suggest reinstalling the application.Let us know if you get this worked out.

Have the same problem. I've been trying it for a few weeks now and all it ever does is blink "Loading" in red letters.Matt

Guest DFrench

Thanks for getting back to me. No luck... I have reinstalled the progam several times, but still just reads "Loading" for hours on end... any ideas?Thanks againD

Guest MB327

Do you have a software firewall running, Windows XP firewall or other?Is anything entered on the "Connection Parameters" page? If you are behind a network, there are proxy settings that must be entered.Are you on a dial-up or broadband connection?Did you install Servinfo 2.02?If you never get the "Server Data Warning" popup window, you are most likely not even getting out to the internet.

>Do you have a software firewall running, Windows XP firewall>or other?Just the standard WinXP firewall, which doesn't really block much. Tried disabling the WinXP firewall just to make sure and have same problem.>Is anything entered on the "Connection Parameters" page? Only thing entered in Connection Parameters is to use VATSIM at startup. See attachment.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/56520.jpg>If>you are behind a network, there are proxy settings that must>be entered.No network, directly connected to internet.>Are you on a dial-up or broadband connection?Broadband (cable)>Did you install Servinfo 2.02?Yep, 2.02>If you never get the "Server Data Warning" popup window, you>are most likely not even getting out to the internet.Never get any warning at all, just blinks "Loading" for ever.Thanks...Matt

Guest MB327

The WinXP firewall causes more problems with VATSIM than most people think. I do not recommend using it while flying on VATSIM. Do you have the same problem when you try to get data from IVAO? If you do, there is something in your system restricting the flow of data.Not for now but when you get things working, you would want to check the two boxes below the one you have checked in your screenshot and may want to lower the number of minutes between updates since you have a broadband connection.I am going to email Michael Frantzeskakis (ServInfo Author) and see if he might pop on our forum every now and then. Give that a couple days.

Hello Dave,This could be a problem that has been reported to me by some other users recently and is caused by a virus infection (a trojan type). In this case do the following: Search for a system file named "protocol" (NOT protocol.ini, just protocol with NO EXTENSION - if you have set windows explorer to hide known extensions you might confuse these two files). It is located at the "C:Windowssystem32driversetc" directory for WinXP (for Win98 it is in "C:Windows"). If you find that this file is missing from this directory then you are probably not infected but that's causing the problem to ServInfo - I will send you this file. If the file is there then check that the above location has not been altered in the windows registry (that's one of the things this virous would do). To do this open the registry editor:Start -> Run -> REGEDITnavigate (or seach) to this key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpipParameters(could also instead of "CurrentControlSet" be two keys with ControlSet001 and ControlSet002, or something similar)and see if the value is :"DataBasePath"="%SystemRoot%System32driversetc" If it is instead"DataBasePath"="%SystemRoot%help"then you have been infected from this virus, so read these links:http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...jan.qhosts.htmlhttp://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp...&virus_k=100719 and act accordingly. Best regards,Michael

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Thanks Michael....that might have something to do with it because I did get a Trojan about six months ago that messed a few things up. For example, my hosts and lmhosts which are also located in System32driversetc,are no longer read by XP so probably the protocol file is also not being read. I've about given up on trying to fix it, short of reinstalling XP, which I'd rather avoid.I tried searching the registry values you listed and they are all listed correctly as "%SystemRoot%System32driversetc". Also, I do have the protocol file in that same folder. There must be something else in registry that is supposed to point to that folder. ALso tried searching for "%SystemRoot%help" and didn't find anything.If servinfo relies on the System32driversetc folder to work, then my guess is that's my problem. I'll take another look at the info at the two links you posted to see if I can figure it out. Otherwise, I guess I'm out of luck unless you have any other ideas??Matt

Good news...got it working, definately was that Trojan. The trojan cleaner I used to get rid of it didn't delete these two keys."ProxyEnable"="0""MigrateProxy"="0"So that was causing the problem. Hosts files also work now....thanks very much Michael that was driving me crazy.Matt

Guest tavuslokus

Same Problem after I reformated and reloaded all.The solution posted doesn't seem to solve it so far.Any further details on the course of action please?Gustavo.

Guest tavuslokus

Hey gents, reinstalled all O/S again , had nothing to lose...Servinfo working all good....Cya'sGustavo