Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Newbie Newbie Newbie Questions: Need a little help.

First: Confession: I have had VatSim for some time and seem to be continually starting over again, stopping for a while and then starting again as an eternal Newbie (VatSim Controllers please forgive me and I'll bet I am not unique). I am presently trying to have at least one flight per day on VatSim to get proficient and not bother controllers to death. I am not a total dummy on procedures etc. as I am an old CFI from long ago.Yesterday: Made a flight from KLWB to KIAD. By the time I was ready to communicate, I found that voice did not work, so went with text communication. Everything went well except for the lack of voice. Discovered when I was ready to shut down that I had lost Roger Wilco. I also discovered that when I loose it I can not restart it without first restarting the computer. (Used ServInfo to check this out after they were back on line).Today: Made a flight from KLWB to The Hartsfield Atlanta Airport. Everything went well including both text and voice communication until I was well into the flight and then I got a Server disconnect warning error window. Could not communicate in any way with text or voice. The RW window still showed all parties still connected. Tried ServInfo and it worked fine showing All people. Tried the ATC directory in SB and the only party showing was Unicom. (Several were still live on ServInfo and RW including Atl Del, Approach, and Gnd Ctrl.) Finally, I discovered I was disconnected in SquawkBox. Reconnected and everybody appeared again in the ATC directory. I thought ATL Ctl was gone when I looked in the ATC directory, but am second guessing that as they were there later when I checked (Same kind person). Tried calling Ctr. and approach on the mike. I got a text reply that they heard me, but I never heard them (They did list voice capability on ServInfo). I was well on the glide slope by then so went ahead and landed and pulled off the runway. I was able to communicate with both ground control and approach in text, but was unable to hear their communication to me. One really odd thing: Though I was never able to communicate by voice, I heard others, both aircraft and ctr. but ctr. was identified as Miami Ctrl. My frequency was still correct for Atl Ctrl. (May be the same frequency I realize. Will check when both are live)Thinking that maybe Roger Wilco was causing this I decided to take a crack at ADvanced Voice Client, so I downloaded installed AVC. I then downloaded the BETA Feb. extension update and tried to install it. Everytime I click the installation Icon, I get an Unable to locate component error window which states: "The application has failed because MFC70.dll ws not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem". Tried reinstallation - same thing. I assume you had to have downloaded and installed the Beta before the first expiriation date for the extension to work.Anybody else seen any of this, and if so what did you do about it?Note: Previously, I do not recall ever having any problems with communications by voice or text except for my ignorance at times. No changes have been made to SB, RW or anything else applicable to my knowledge.One final note to other Newbies or anybody considering VatSim participation. I have read posts regarding axxhxxxs which belittled some people trying VatSim. Today while trying to fly and find the problem at the same time, beginning my approach high as a cats back, flying S turns on final like a drunk duck, and by the Grace of God making a perfect landing, all concerned at Atlanta made me feel like Chuck Yeager and invited me back in as kind a way as could have been possible. KIAD was the same way yesterday, but I behaved better. I have never received anything but an enjoyable experience with anybody I have interacted with. In addition to this, private messages by others in the air have added to the experience greatly.I highly recommend VatSim.Thanks:RTH

Guest ielchitz

RTH,Hi there and welcome to VATSIM.The february extension of AVC includes only the .exe file.First download and install the AVC Installer - then once that is installed download the update and put it in your AVC directory. This will overwrite the AVC.EXE file you have. That should solved your problem.If you get a server disconnect message in SB you should read it and make sure you were not removed from the network on purpose (happens rarely and only if you were doing something bad). If that is not the case simply reconnect.I'd give it 30 seconds after you connect and then look to see if there is any ATC online in your ATC Directory. Remember that when you reconnect you will be placed back on UNICOM (122.80) for both text and possibly voice. You will need to call the controller again.Hope that helps and welcome back to VATSIM.

Thanks for the prompt reply Ian.I was too dumb to think. I thought the Icon was an installation Icon, not just a replacement execution file. Worked like a champ when I clicked on it. I will go through the manual now and see if I can learn to use it by next month when I assume the real thing is to be activated (post beta). I assume you recommed AVC over RW?I don't know why the server disconnected. It was at an insignificant spot in the flight while nothing irregular was going on. I did eventially reconnect, but as I said in my post, I never was able to resume voice communication for some reason.My comm radio remained on ctr frequency and never did show a change in frequency to unicom, nor did any of the RW content change. I reselected ctr frequency from the ATC Directory several times for good measure after I realized I needed to reconnect in SB. When Approach and Ground Control were selected from the ATC Directory my Comm frequency changed as it should have, but I still never could communicate again by voice. Text did work, and apparently they could hear me on the other end when I tried voice.I will try again later tonight or tommorrow to duplicate the flight if Atlanta is on line, probably with AVC rather than RW.Thanks again.RTH

Ian (or anybody who knows the answer):One question after initiating AVC.Under installing the AVC, the manual states: "Note: The AVC will not respond to SB#.3.5, SB747, or Servinfo applications until it is opened once first."Under Setting up the AVC, the manual states: 'Note: You MUST be connected to the VATSIM network through Squawkbox (or similar) before the AVC will let you connect to a voice room."Under Useing the AVC>Connection Tab: The manual states: "Callsign - In this field, enter the callsign that you will use to fly on VATSIM. Your callsign in the connection tab must match the callsign you enter in SquawkBox or you will not be able to connect to voice servers! The last callsign you used will be automatically saved on exit."I started up SBR and FS9 and activated a flight plan through SB. I then disconnected and exited FS9.I then started ServInfo and double clicked on a controller with voice. I get an Authentication Failed! error message which states: "Your callsign was not found! You must log in on VATSIM server before joining a voice channel."Question: Though the manual said "or Servinfo applications" above and"(or similar)" does Servinfo not qualify by itself? Must FS9 be up and running with a flight plan activated in SB for ServInfo to give voice output?Thanks:RTH

Just duplicated my flight from KLWB-KIAD in which I lost communication implementing Advance Voice Client. Everything went perfectly.Don't know whether the earlier problem was Roger Wilco, me or both.Happy Flying:RTH