Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agrajag

Frustration level growing...

Guest Agrajag

Well, I keep hanging in there but things just don't want to go easily.I now have everything working fairly well but AVC (I'd LIKE to be able to get full-screen working but that's been totally hit-and-miss and less of a priority).FINALLY NY had nearly a full set of controllers tonight so I got re-invigorated about giving VATSIM another chance.I have a CH Products Flight Yoke and set the right trigger button so that it calls up ATC "`" key. I then told AVC to use the same key for triggering talk. For some reason that didn't seem to work at all. Should it have?Second, the ONLY way I could talk with NY Center was to bring the AVC client to the foreground (I switched the talk key to right Control) and then call them. All attempts to talk to them while flying resulted in them saying that the message was totally garbled and too low a volume. As soon as I brought the AVC window back up, NY center heard me LOUD AND CLEAR. In fact, too loud.I'm really getting no enjoyment out of this after nearly a week of giving it its due. I'm now flying LESS because of my experience with all of this.

Take a look at your AVC set up - are you using direct sound or wav for your input and output devices? Try switching from direct sound to wav or vice versa, that might solve your problem. Also, since you are new to VATSIM, why not start off in a less busy area initially - you might get more help.Finally, whenever I have voice problems (it happens to everyone now and then), I just switch over to text and keep going.

Guest MB327

I missed two flights last week myself because of a sound problem. It really turned out to have nothing to do with AVC. I spent hours trying to locate the issue by reloading sound drivers, reseating my second sound card that I use for voice, and questioning my headset. After all that I just gave up and headed down to the electronics store and bought a new digital usp Plantronics headset.You are describing a problem that could be a number of things. The issue with a push-to-talk key mapped to your Yoke may be minor. Be sure you are using a key that has no other function, I use the left-shift key. It can be mapped through FSUIPC or the CH control manager and should work just fine. But it sounds like you have a system issue if your push-to-talk key does not even work by itself without the AVC window in focus. If that is the case, I am not sure what to suggest. What operating system and directX version are you using?Voice quality, like in my case, can be related to drivers, sound card, the headset you are using, but most often it is just a configuration/set-up problem. Like mentioned above, many users find that they get a very different result by switching from wav to direct sound or the other way around. Did you pass the mic test in AVC without any issues?You might want to review the AVC documentation and visit the AVC support forums also.

Guest fspilotguy.tk

Best of luck with full screen mode if your running FS9, not sure what itis, but its something in the SBRelay/HostSB/Squawkbox set-up, a fair number of users have this same problem. I'd just live with a windows mode for now and wait for SB3

Guest Agrajag

I run XP Pro w/SP1 and DirectX 9.0B (current I believe).Tonight I decided to pick up a USB microphone from Logitech but CompUSA couldn't find the 5 they have in stock. Typical. I ended up buying a Logitech USB headset and microphone to try out. Irony is that when I opened it the manual was for the microphone I wanted. This whole process is now apparently baiting me. The end result of that is that suddenly I could be heard, though the first controller said barely and the second gave me 5/5 which I think is best. Now I need to play the volume game as I can't hear them very well but at least it's progress. I still have issues with the fact that the old microphone works everywhere but here. Also the one I bought is a bit of a problem as it effectively hides the Sound Blaster while in use so I need to plug it in and remove it all the time and the headset portion is junk of course (I have high-end headphones I much prefer to use so this may go back and I'll hope their microphone just works along with the sound card and not replace it during use.)I also had a decent session as, just upon getting home NY coverage was the best I'd ever seen. Getting there but still have some hills to climb.

Guest Agrajag

Is there even a remote guess at when SB3 might show up?I could go back to the default host but then that would mean I'd have to jump in and out of FS9 right? That's no good.

Guest Agrajag

Well, things improved tonight/today.I picked up a Logitech USB headset (just wanted the mic but CompUSA couldn't find them though their stock showed 5). It got me talking at least but everyone complained I was far too low even though the MIC was set to maximum volume.One positive note, sort of. I flew my first European flight from Edinburgh to Dublin and I'd have never done that if VATSIM didn't push me to. It was decently realistic as I had to deal with two controllers for the first time, though as everyone knows, the static scenery in Europe stinks. I say sort of as I still don't like a solution that mandates where I fly to enjoy it fully but that's a trade-off.

Guest VCA_CEO

I'd suggest getting rid of AVC and using good ole RW. It'll solve yoru problem. I've had no luck getting AVC to work at all. No one can hear me. I can't hear myself during the test ;-)

Guest Agrajag

I may end up doing just that and thought about it already. I'm giving this one last shot. I just returned the Logitech headset/mic and found Best Buy had JUST the USB mic. Got it home expecting it to be the same thing as the headset mic and thankfully it's nothing like it. It's VERY loud and VERY clear. First time I've passed the AVC test so we'll see. But again, every other microphone I've had has never been a problem for speech recognition, TeamTalk, RW (used to use it, long ago uninstalled) and various other speech uses).