Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmcevilley

KIAD spoting places!

Hi, I'm going to fly to KIAD on friday! :D I'll have some free time there and i'm interested in watching some airport action there! So, if anybody knows a place near KIAD that i can spot planes please post! I'll take pictures and share them with u guys... Thanks in advance.:-wave

TLV,go to www.planespotting.com.Follow the airport index link. Dulles info is in there!Good luck!steve

Guest Grey_Wolf

Out of Leesburg Mun. Wich is 20 minutes away from Dulles (take the greenway north and follow the signs) I have on many ocasions seen flown on weekends home built WW1 era Aircraft. A Newport 17 and Fokker DVIII comes to mind.If You're in to that sort of thing..I also Liked the observation decks in the midfield teminal better than the deck right under the controll tower in the main. Lots has changed there since I lived there last, but I believe the Brittish Air Concord still fly's out between 1-2 pm friday and returns noonish sunday. The new National Air and space Museam annex was due to have parts open to the publick last year. I got to see an SR71, C5A and Space shuttle (I forget wich one) there in retirement. (Also was lucky enough to see the SR71 land that morning)Andrews AFB also use to have a "publick tour" thats about an hour away from Dulles.Airforce one and the three Presidental Helicopters are at Regan(or the whitehouse lawn) about a 40 minute drive.Of course you have the National Air and space museam in DC about 40 minutes from DullesHave fun. Living about 10minutes away From Dulles as I grew up I spent many days and nights plane spotting there.*sniff* I wanna go home

Thank you very much sir!I'm Flying to KIAD on LH 744, arriving friday afternoon. going to stay in Reston, my plans are to be in DC for a few days (i'll see the meuseums- offcourse) and maybe spend some hours on spotting planes there. Thank you for your inforamation. A great help.Yair :-wave

Guest mmcevilley

>Hi, I'm going to fly to KIAD on friday! :D I'll have some >free time there and i'm interested in watching some airport >action there! >So, if anybody knows a place near KIAD that i can spot >planes please post! I'll take pictures and share them with u >guys... >Thanks in advance. >>:-wave I live within the pattern for the IAD 1R visual approaches and I realize that IAD gets all the heavies and a great variety of aircraft ... BUT - if you really want a treat - go to DCA. There is a boat slip, Gravely Point, just north of the approach end to 19. When the winds are out the south you can stand just north of the localizer antenna array for 01 and the traffic landing on 19 pass over you at about a 100-200 ft altitude! You will get some fabulous pics! :-)-michael