Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agrajag

Should I use a third-party flight planner with VATSIM?

Guest Agrajag

I really do get by with the built-in flight planner but have been thinking it might be time to look at say FS Navigator (I hope the menus aren't in German-only as their screenshots show)?It appears as if it already knows the various STARS and SIDS for the airports and I'm wondering if that will be fed to FS so that I can use GPS and AP together to fly that route or if the integration of such packages is limited.The last thing I want is to junk up the screen with a bunch of third-party products that don't inter-operate fluidly. Is it just a night-and-day benefit or as a turbo-prop flyer should I just save the money?

IMHO by all means. FS Navigator is a great help, both in originating flight plans and during flight. I am not familar with the"German-only" screenshots. I have used it for years and only seen English adaptations. The SIDS and STARS may be one release behind in some cases, but are totally useable. What I mean, is that for example the ATLANTA FOUR Star may be the latest download for the data base, and ATLANTA FIVE may have been released, but it is difficult to tell the difference and I would highly recommend it. So far, this has caused no problem in any flight I have tried.Good LuckRTH

Guest fspilotguy.tk

FSNAV rules!!!Its well worth the money, download it and try it for free for 20 uses, you will be very happy with it.IF will also export the flight plan you create out to Squawkbox and FS2002/2004 GPS and will display Vatsim traffic around you as well.

Guest ielchitz

Agra,I need to point something out for you. FSNAV is NOT a flightplanner. It is more of a "moving map/gps" program. It is an amazing program and is definetly highly recommended.It might help with a lot of the problems you are anxious about and have mentioned in another thread. When a controller clears you direct "Calverton" you can quickly look on the map and see that Calverton is a VOR using the ID "CCC" and operating on 117.20.It will allow you to fly on V and J airways and also will help you find a waypoint/intersection. For example - you are just in the air out of Philly enroute VFR to Kennedy when the clouds roll in out of nowhere and you need to pick up an IFR clearance to Kennedy. The controller tells you "N301TL cleared to Kennedy International via present position direct DITCH V312 V344 CAMRN Direct, maintain 8000, squawk 5011".Being a smart cookie - you already had a pen and paper ready (all of the guys you hear on VATSIM who read stuff back sounding as if they are pros are just WRITING IT DOWN. I've been flying and controlling online for over 3 years and I still write down everything).You read back "Ok cleared to Kennedy direct DITCH Victor 312 Victort 344 camrn direct maintain 8000 and 5011 in the box for Baron-One-Tango-Lima.""Baron one tango lima read back correct turn left heading 340 when able proceed direct DITCH"You quickly flick to FSNAV (there is an english version) and flip on your V airways. You can easily see where you are and that DITCH is only 14nm to the north and is in fact ON V312. You can also see that the waypoints you need to fly will be DITCH CYN LEGGS CAMRN. You can either create a quick route here on FSNAV and couple it with your autopilot or just use this as a reference while you try and fly the radials."Left heading 340 direct DITCH when able for one tango lima thanks"FSNAV is some of the best money I have ever spent in the FS world. It has helped me fly all over the world with at least SOME clue of what I was doing - or at least where I was supposed to be heading.

Guest Agrajag

Well, using it for the first time tonight and hit 3 walls but climed one.Couldn't get the right elements into FS via export until I figured out to load on the Find Route. Still have NO idea how to get the plan into Squawkbox. I've tried every menu item I could think of.Lastly, the preferred route on this flight, KATL (Atlanta) to KMCO (Orlando) includes 2 J airways (89 and I forget the other) and while I can see them in FS NAV I cannot get it to let me add those to the flightplan. I can't imagine why. If they don't support this, how am I supposed to submit a plan the requires them?Otherwise it's quite nice.Is there a way to get all VATSIM aircraft to show in it? I tried connecting multiplayer and thought I had it but it showed only me. Update. Okay, DAL63 showed up with me so I guess you can see other planes but only those who, I guess, are on the same frequency you're on?

Guest PegAir

Could you recommend a good flight planner. I DL'd FSNAV trial .. but only used it a few times, and mainly as a flight planner.On the side topic .. I write down everything as well, I think it was suggested in the VATSIM startup I read a couple years ago.What I do that I think is clever, is that I don't read back what was said, or what I wrote, but I read back my interpretation of it.This has been useful at times when the controller used a word that I only thought I knew the meaning of. Like one time at an uncontrolled airport I got "Hold for release", and responded "Will hold at active runway." Needless to say I was disabused of my interpretation. :-lol

Guest ielchitz

There are really TWO types of flightplanners out there for our community:1) An application that will crunch all of the airways, procedures, waypoints, and navaids into a format that you can then use to load into your FMS, SB, GPS, or FSNAV. These often include fuel burns, winds aloft etc. The best one I can think of for the flight sim world is FSBUILD located at fsbuild.com - it's not SIMPLE to use but once you master it - it is simply amazing.2) An application/database that contains PREFERRED ROUTES. Many of the ARTCC/FIR have preferred routes they like you to fly when headed into/out of their major airports. Keep in mind that these are PREFERRED and not mandatory. It's always a good idea to visit the local ARTCC/FIR website for where you want to fly. You should be able to get to any ARTCC/FIR website by starting at the vatsim.net website and following links on the right side of the page. Some of the Divisions have applications now that store preferred routes for all of the ARTCC/FIR in the region - sort of a one stop shop for preferred routes. VATUSA is working on one right now.Hope that helps